The Student Room Group

Going Back To School

I'm currently in Uni but I'm thinking about getting my A Level in Maths. It may seem a bit daft but it's been on my mind for a while now. I took it when I first entered sixth form but for various reasons at the time I never really took it seriously. Ever since I've regretted it because I think with some actual effort I could have done quite well.

Anybody know how I would go about this?
Look for evening classes at a local college.
Reply 2
External candidate at a private college, just learn it on your own in your own time and take the exams.
If you're already at uni what purpose would it serve?
Education doesn't always have to be a means to an end. If he wants to do it, it should be encouraged.

I wouldn't recommend trying to do it completely on your own though, that could be a nightmare with maths if you didn't have someone to ask when you get stuck.
Eric Arthur
Education doesn't always have to be a means to an end. If he wants to do it, it should be encouraged.

Oh I wasn't saying that. I was just curious as to whether there was any reason other then interest. Though tbh, the subject does carry a workload, heavier for some more then others, so it is a question worth considering if OPs current/future lifestyle will be demanding.
Reply 6
Yeh it's something I just want to do. Sort of prove to myself that I could do it.

Yeh I remember there was a heavy workload but I feel I have the time. Regarding enrolling with a local college, do you have to register and follow a set path/time frame with them or do you just take the exams when your ready?
You'd have to do them at the normal exam times - January or May/June.
Reply 8
Yeh I remember there was a heavy workload but I feel I have the time. Regarding enrolling with a local college, do you have to register and follow a set path/time frame with them or do you just take the exams when your ready?

This depends on the route you take. You can teach yourself and take the exams at a local registered centre. For more details about this option, see the link below:

http://web.aqa.org.uk/admin/p_private.php

Alternatively, you can enrol at an evening class at a local colleges. Some also run day classes if this is better for you.

Hope this helps

Good luck
Reply 9
Ok thanks for the help everyone

Latest