The Student Room Group

Chances of funding for International students?

I am an international student accepted into the Doctoral Training Program in Oxford for next year. Unfortunately, I was not offered any scholarship. Since the first year of programme will be entirely courses based, I am well-prepared to pay for full tuition fees myself. However, I am still hopeful to receive some funding for my second to fourth years of the programme, when I'll be working on my thesis.

Does anyone know what is the likelihood of an international student obtaining funding in their second year of the programme? Will there be professors willing provide funding to international students? In terms of applying for scholarships, are most scholarships earmarked for first year students? What are the chances of getting a scholarship when you have already started the programme?

Any advice/suggestion is appreciated!!
Thanks guys!
Reply 1
You don't mention where you are from... there are commonwealth scholarships that I think go on a year by year basis. Check out the web site and your college there are some very obscure scholarships available...
Reply 2
Clarendon scholarships are reserved for incoming students.

Your College will surely require proof you can fund the entirety of your course before signing off on your confirmation. You won't be able to pull this year-by-year approach to funding.
tyihonia

Does anyone know what is the likelihood of an international student obtaining funding in their second year of the programme? Will there be professors willing provide funding to international students? In terms of applying for scholarships, are most scholarships earmarked for first year students? What are the chances of getting a scholarship when you have already started the programme?

Any advice/suggestion is appreciated!!
Thanks guys!

I know some departments offer bursaries that are only reserved for students in their second years and up. However, the competition is competitive.

Trust me - I am in the same boat. I just choked down the cost of the first year and am hoping to find some sort of scholarship my second year (but I am very doubtful). If it makes you feel better... I don't know about you, but I am paying slightly less than had I accepted a spot at a US university.
Reply 4
Thanks for all the feedback!

I am from Canada, and I am eligible and will be applying for commonwealth scholarships (missed all those deadlines last year because I didn't realize they all ended so early!)

I have shown financial proof for being able to pay for the full 4 years to my college already (with my parents' entire saving and a line of credit from the bank), but I am doubting if all this is really worth it without any other source of funding?

Anyone know what's the likelihood of being a TA for an overseas student and how much they get paid?

Latest

Trending

Trending