The Student Room Group

How can I achieve scintillating conversation?

The type that includes double entendres and puns. I would like be known for witty anecdotes and interesting talk.

The type of person that entertains dinner parties until the small hours. I would like people to say, "I miss your company when you are not around. Please tell again that fascinating story of the time you saved a German tourist from a pygmy woman with a sharp mango."

Not really any point in being anon.
This is something that can only be picked up with experience and learning from mistakes. Get yourself involved in as many social situations as you can and you will pick up the art of "scintillating conversation" soon enough :smile:
Well first you need to practice your sharp mango stabbing skills, and it all follows on from there.
Meteorshower
Well first you need to practice your sharp mango stabbing skills, and it all follows on from there.

See. You've got it

Though actually it would have been the woman with the mango, not me
Try keeping up with the conversation and bring up things that have been said later. Shows that you're interested and people pick up on things like that.
Walkin'Butterfly
See. You've got it

Ah you see, originally the pygmy woman had the mango, but utilising another essential skill to the art of scintillating conversation, you disarmed her with ease and turned her fearsome fruit against her! All in the name of a good conversation.
Meteorshower
Ah you see, originally the pygmy woman had the mango, but utilising another essential skill to the art of scintillating conversation, you disarmed her with ease and turned her fearsome fruit against her! All in the name of a good conversation.

Of course. Her language was so plebian, I recited the dictionary and blew her away
It's more an observational thing than a practiced thing. I think the more words you know the better you are at being the kind of person you described because obscure words you don't understand are, for some odd reason, funny.
Ahhh, you need to throw yourself into the situations which would generate good conversation.

Then you don't need to make any effort when it comes to talking, you'll just come out with amazing anecdotes because you've have amazing experiences.

I suggest you go and find yourself a pygmy woman, and maybe practice making mango blades.

Alternatively, buy a train ticket and see where you end up. That could be interesting too. :biggrin:
malleablegrace
Alternatively, buy a train ticket and see where you end up. That could be interesting too. :biggrin:

"Can I have a train ticket to Birmingham New Street, please?"
Hours later - "Oh, I'm in Birmingham. What a surprise"

I think I'm missing something here.
Walkin'Butterfly
Of course. Her language was so plebian, I recited the dictionary and blew her away

Dictionaries are so old hat, that means you have to sift through a lexicographical trough of ill expression. Better restrict your arsenal to words of 10 letters or more for maximum oomph. Or better yet recite something latin.
Irrelevance
"Can I have a train ticket to Birmingham New Street, please?"
Hours later - "Oh, I'm in Birmingham. What a surprise"

I think I'm missing something here.

Okay, well, the theory was there. I know you can't realistically buy a train ticket to anywhere.

It was more of a metaphor, really.

Know what? I just take back the whole thing. :p:
Meteorshower
sift through a lexicographical trough of ill expression.

That... was beautiful. :biggrin:
malleablegrace
That... was beautiful. :biggrin:

I've seen many troughs in my time and nary a hint of anything representing the word "beautiful" in any way shape or form could accurately be applied!
Meteorshower
Dictionaries are so old hat, that means you have to sift through a lexicographical trough of ill expression. Better restrict your arsenal to words of 10 letters or more for maximum oomph. Or better yet recite something latin.

Dictionaries might be old hat, but you appear to have swallowed one.

That's not a reproach though.
Walkin'Butterfly
Dictionaries might be old hat, but you appear to have swallowed one.

That's not a reproach though.

See! Big words greater than ten letters do the trick :p:
Walkin'Butterfly
See. You've got it

Raunchy. I think its to do with who you are, not what you learn.

Charisma is key.

Do not use words such as 'scintillating' :biggrin:
Reply 17
Clearly, Latinate prolixity is the way forward for achieving such desired consequences, viz. getting someone to sleep with you.

try some hyperbole as well (and pronounce this word correctly)
MelonFace
Raunchy. I think its to do with who you are, not what you learn.

Charisma is key.

Do not use words such as 'scintillating' :biggrin:

I tend to find using words like scintillating have a positive effect inversely proportional to how much you mean them...
Reply 19
I wanna try the train to anywhere thing! Sounds nifty!
I got called eccentric recently. That could be a starter to your aim OP. I sometimes/most of the time just say whatever is in my head. I also have an obsession with cows and sheep. most farm yard animals really. Or dogs, cats, seagulls.
Just keep talking to people non stop and involving yourself with the fun looking situations and it will all fall into place.

Latest

Trending

Trending