The Student Room Group

Kamp America vs Work America

Hey, hope someone can help!
I have decided I am would like to go to America next summer and I was just wondering what people opinions on these two programmes are and whether anyone has done either of them?
I came to the decision that CampAmerica is definitely something I would not cope with, being with the children 24/7 would be too much for me however I do like the idea with KampAmerica (I would choose to work in the office) that you still get to be part of a 'camp'. Work America sounds like you would have more freedom and not so tied down although im slightly worried about being lonely and isolated if placed somewhere with little UK staff.
Anyone have any advice?
Reply 1
Funny! Im in the same prediacent. I want to do both! Im kind of worried about the work America in this current economic climate. The testimonials on the website are mostly in catering and far away, I would rather work in New york. Its a shame you cant see the vacancies they have before you sign up for it. The Kamp is my second option, I would rather work in the office also. I am seriously considering this so if you learn anything new could you PM me? I'll do the same :smile:
It depends on the kind of work you want to do. A lot of the Work America jobs are in places like theme parks, where they need additional staff for the summer, whereas with Kamp you can choose office/maintenance work.
Also, WA is based in more populated areas, but camps are generally in the middle of nowhere.
After this year's participants come back they will be able to tell you about their experiences - I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one person posting who has done both things. (I haven't done either, but might be applying to do office work on a Canadian camp next summer).
Hmm will it be easy to find a job with Work America in the current climate? Maybe just do the Kamp program
Reply 4
Sorry for such a late reply! Thanks for your replies.
Ive had a long think about it and I do think that you are right about the current economic climate making it harder to find jobs out in America for the summer. I also think for my first time working abroad and without friends or family I would feel more comfortable with a bigger unit around me in a camp.
So ive decided that im more than likely going to apply for office position in support staff/kamp America.

Another question CCUSA support staff or BUNAC Kamp America program?
Reply 5
i was looking into the Kamp america, but just found out its only for students!...no gap year people :frown::frown::frown:
Reply 6
i was also about to sign up for kamp america for 2010. i emailed them and they said that they want people to start from early june. which is a real shame because i can only make it from mid july. ill have to go for the work america option instead, but as you said it may be quite hard to find a job
Camp America isn't only for students, I'm going back for a third year this year and I'm not a student.
Oh, and I didn't want to work with kids so I signed up to a special needs camp, best thing I have ever done.

Latest