The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

You can actually make toast without a toaster, and coffee without a coffee maker surprisingly.

However, in my house (and various others) we had a stupid amount of electrical appliances. Nobody seemed to complain.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Well that's true but not so convenient :wink: And instant coffee is horrid.
Reply 3
I brought my own toaster, put it in the kitchen, everyone used it- no problem. I knew of people who had mini fridges, kettles in their room, all sorts, there were no real problems. Unless you got a really pedantic person checking your room when it was a health and safety check, or you pissed off your cleaner- you should be fine.
Um i'm bringing a toaster, a fridge, iron and all my kitchen utensils, e.g spatula, tin opener, etc. I think an iron is provided and most people bring a toaster but I'm bringing my own just in case.
Hope this helps!!
Reply 5
Alright, cheers! :smile:
Reply 6
I'm so taking a washing machine. :p:
Taru
I had a look of the list of what is provided in Uni accommodation at Kent, and what you should and shouldn't bring with you. They seem to be very strict on bringing electrical appliances but does anyone really care? It's hard to imagine eating a toast without toasting it first :frown: Or starting a day without coffee if you cannot bring a coffee maker! :biggrin:

If they get strict about the coffee maker, a cafetiere is your way to good coffee. Ground coffee/grind your beans as normal, 1 dessert spoon of coffee/mug (adjust depending on how you like your coffee) and add hot (not quite boiling) water. Stir well and leave to stand for a couple of minutes, then put the lid on a push the plunger (do not lift it back up again). Pour coffee and add milk and sugar as required.

Hey Presto...good coffee wthout a coffee maker.
Reply 8
The Referee
If they get strict about the coffee maker, a cafetiere is your way to good coffee. Ground coffee/grind your beans as normal, 1 dessert spoon of coffee/mug (adjust depending on how you like your coffee) and add hot (not quite boiling) water. Stir well and leave to stand for a couple of minutes, then put the lid on a push the plunger (do not lift it back up again). Pour coffee and add milk and sugar as required.

Hey Presto...good coffee wthout a coffee maker.

Thanks for reminding of cafetiere! That would probably be the easiest way for good coffee. I was thinking of bringing a hob espresso maker but sometimes you just don't want your coffee that strong :smile: Lol what a great conversation on coffee making this became..
Taru
Thanks for reminding of cafetiere! That would probably be the easiest way for good coffee. I was thinking of bringing a hob espresso maker but sometimes you just don't want your coffee that strong :smile: Lol what a great conversation on coffee making this became..

As far as I'm concerned, coffee should be listed as one of the major 'food' groups!

Hob espresso maker? I didn't know these existed...please tell me more!
Reply 10
I have at home this classic Italian espresso maker (which is also caller percolator as I just learned :biggrin:) http://www.johnlewis.com/230134058/Product.aspx

It's easy to use and makes incredible good espresso! I actually found a great instruction video here: http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-espresso-coffee
Reply 11
We had about 3 toaster [they kept dying] and I had a coffee machine, no problems... Also had things like rice cookers etc and no one complained.
Reply 12
Taru
Well that's true but not so convenient :wink: And instant coffee is horrid.

Get a cafetière.
Reply 13
Just one question i've got already an accommodation with a single room...
On the web site they say that we've got a toster, washing machibe..... But they do not say if we have to take our own, forks, knives, spoon, plates.... and for the room a pillow, sheets one braids.... If somebody can inform me, this would be great ^^
So I'm starting to feel a little ridiculous, but have you guys received your registration packets? The Getting Started thing? I haven't received anything, except for the thank you for applying to Kent package a couple of months ago. I know that since I'm overseas it'll take a little longer, but I'm starting to worry. I can't enroll until I receive it, obviously.
Reply 15
I called Kent uni yesterday with regards to other info, but the lady i spoke to (kind if i might add) said registration packets have been sent out to a small number of people and the rest (the full lot) will be sent out most likely from August 20th, which i assume is the date persons who did A level exams will be receiving their results.

So until then.
Reply 16
Oh how sweet from you to call and ask, and tell us :smile: I wish I was amongst the ones to receive the package soon as I'm getting too nervous and excited!
Reply 17
What is this package, it's the accommodation license?
Critou
Just one question i've got already an accommodation with a single room...
On the web site they say that we've got a toster, washing machibe..... But they do not say if we have to take our own, forks, knives, spoon, plates.... and for the room a pillow, sheets one braids.... If somebody can inform me, this would be great ^^

Yes, you will need to take forks/knives/plates. Your room will have one pillow, but it will be like those horrible ones you get on planes. Bring your own including all the bedding sheets/cases.
I lived in Tyler A last year and we were given a plate, bowl, mug, knife, fork and spoon each, and the flattest pillow in the world. We had a bedsheet but i'd bring a proper one just in case, and a duvet and pillow in case the one they have isn't to your liking. Also a toaster. We had new microwaves, so that was all good, and the kettle was new too. I can't think of much you'd need to be honest... you share a kitchen with 7 other people, and we ended up with about 5 toasters and 3 irons.

Latest

Trending

Trending