The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

TigerJack
I get stressed but wouldn't touch a cig, but that's just me, plus I have mild asthma.

Asthma doesn't really matter, my friend has it and smokes ALOT of tobacco & weed and he can single hit flat top shot cones on bongs.

Also, Lucinda is right too :biggrin:
I still don't get it.
I've always said I will never touch a cigarette because I have an addictive personality, and get addicted to everything I touch! And then, it would most likely be the death of me.
However, I do understand peer pressure/wanting to be outside pubs/clubs with your mates who are smoking, so I can understand smoking one...but why would you go back to something that has such a bad potential for your health? :frown:
As for people who say they smoke because they're stressed, I have panic attacks and spend most of my time on- edge and get stressed and irritable quite easily...but I have to get on and deal with it! I get really annoyed when my sister says "I need a smoke, I'm nervous/stressed" or whatever, because what about all the rest of us??
Alcoholics and smokers get their stress relief...so what are people who value good health supposed to do? It's like there are people everywhere taking drugs of various forms and everyone who knows better has to suffer >.< .
(By the way if you're addicted- how did you LET yourself become addicted? And have you tried quitting? Why did you stop trying? I'm not saying it's easy or I'm an angel for not doing it.)

Edit: personality not personal.
missaphrodite
I still don't get it.
I've always said I will never touch a cigarette because I have an addictive personality, and get addicted to everything I touch! And then, it would most likely be the death of me.
However, I do understand peer pressure/wanting to be outside pubs/clubs with your mates who are smoking, so I can understand smoking one...but why would you go back to something that has such a bad potential for your health? :frown:
As for people who say they smoke because they're stressed, I have panic attacks and spend most of my time on- edge and get stressed and irritable quite easily...but I have to get on and deal with it! I get really annoyed when my sister says "I need a smoke, I'm nervous/stressed" or whatever, because what about all the rest of us??
Alcoholics and smokers get their stress relief...so what are people who value good health supposed to do? It's like there are people everywhere taking drugs of various forms and everyone who knows better has to suffer >.< .
(By the way if you're addicted- how did you LET yourself become addicted? And have you tried quitting? Why did you stop trying? I'm not saying it's easy or I'm an angel for not doing it.)

Edit: personality not personal.

I've heard a great way to relieve stress for persons such as yourself is to show their feline posessions over webcam :wink2:

I think people smoke because they think it's cool and then can't stop :yes:
Reply 63
Typically: because smokers are weak-willed and selfish. Probably fixated on image and what others think of them, too.
rob6709
Not to the extent that one fag gets you hooked for life. What id like to know, is why do people carry on this vile habbit after trying it a few times. I can vaguely remember. It just seems a distant memory and rather pointless now.

People try smoking, some people cough their guts up and never touch one again. Others like it and others like it alot.

In my case, it started off with having a 10 deck or something on a night out. Then I was smoking my left overs the morning after, then it got to the point I was buying packets during the day too. By 17 unfortunatley I was addicted. It then went on and off.

I've now managed to fight the addiction so I'm not reliant on cigarettes, I used to smoke 20 during a shift (12 hour night shift). I just smoke occasionally now. When I want one, Maybe 20 a week? Because I enjoy it.
Reply 65
man i don't know why in God's name people smoke. my grandfather smoked and he died of throat cancer. and my uncle smoked. he died of lung cancer. i saw my uncle in the hospital not long before he died. he was in pain. his legs ached. and all his legs were were skin and bone. not long after he died. not me and smoking, boy. no way.
Reply 66
rob6709
You will notice that one of their personalities is seduced by the illusions of grandeur - the gold packet of king size with a regal insignia, an attractive implication towards grandeur and wealth, the subtle suggestion that cigarettes are indeed your royal and loyal friends, and that, is a lie.

Their other personality is trying to draw your attention to the flip side of the discussion, written in boring bold black and white, it's a statement that these neat little soldiers of death and in fact trying to kill you and that, is the truth.

So why do we smoke? I smoke and cant figure it out.

Are you a RocknRolla?
kayz92
man i don't know why in God's name people smoke. my grandfather smoked and he died of throat cancer. and my uncle smoked. he died of lung cancer. i saw my uncle in the hospital not long before he died. he was in pain. his legs ached. and all his legs were were skin and bone. not long after he died. not me and smoking, boy. no way.

I'm sorry to hear about all of this :frown: a friend's nan who he lives with is very close to death with lung cancer.

I'm one of those people who does live for the moment, I don't particularly want to live to a grand old age, there aren't many great things about getting old...I don't have any plans past the age of 65, but still I don't smoke because I don't want to die a horrible, painful death. There are loads of risky things I'd do, it's nothing to do with 'you only live once' whatsoever. People should make the most of their lives, and their health.
Reply 68
for the record, smoking a cigarette as a social or 'non-regular' smoker does NOT actually induce a relaxed sensation. this notion is false. it proves true however to regular smokers, where smoking a cigarette satisfies and then reduces the initial high craving sensation of the regular smoker, thus resulting in a relaxed feeling. so in fact, the cigarette simply lowers the craving level to normal (that of a non-regular smoker) from a higher level (smoker).

just to clear up :smile:
Reply 69
SSingh23
Are you a RocknRolla?

No im real facking rocknrolla! :wink:
Reply 70
rob6709
You will notice that one of their personalities is seduced by the illusions of grandeur - the gold packet of king size with a regal insignia, an attractive implication towards grandeur and wealth, the subtle suggestion that cigarettes are indeed your royal and loyal friends, and that, is a lie.

Speak for yourself - I use a cigarette case.

So why do we smoke? I smoke and cant figure it out.

Because we, or at least I, find it pleasant. Rather obvious, isn't it?

rob6709
Do you enjoy every single cigarette?

I certainly do. That said, I've got a third of a way through one, thought 'I'm not enjoying this' for whatever reason and stopped. Usually a matter of odd tastes in my mouth or something silly like that.
rob6709
Not to the extent that one fag gets you hooked for life. What id like to know, is why do people carry on this vile habbit after trying it a few times. I can vaguely remember. It just seems a distant memory and rather pointless now.

I smoked for a few months. Not like 20 a day, but quite a lot - Mainly because I was going through a horrible family malfunctioning stage during teenage years and it seemed appropriate at the time for some stupid reason - when I realised I didn't want to smoke I just gave up. Never felt any urges to have a smoke or anything despite apparently enjoying it at the time.

Is it possible for some people to just not get addicted?
PAPAdawg
enjoy it and dont seem to be addicted. i very regularly go for days without a fag when i dont have any on me and forget to pick some up...and even when i ahve em only smoke when i want to...about 2 to 3 daily although sometimes the desire never comes and i go all day without. generally, a pack of 20 silk cut lasts me for 2 weeks

i likie it that way.

This. but L+B all the way :smile:
for the craic on TSR afterwards.
Reply 74
haydoncrewduk
This. but L+B all the way :smile:

never tried them. I used to smoke marlboro lights but i prefer the smooth, light taste of silk cut. I'd probably find l and b a bit harsh

As a fellow 'non addict', do you find that pretty much everyone thinks you're making it up when you say truthfully that you can pretty much give up at will and dont crave them?

when people get picky about it i just ask them ''what food do you like?''...when they answer i then say, assuming they answered ''salt and vinegar crisps'', ''do you ever crave sal and vinegar crisps?'' ''no'' ''could you live without them if i told you they were harming you?'' ''yes'' ''then stfu then :cool: ''

i think the ''addictiveness'' of cigarettes is almost purely psychological. my dad, a former 30-40 a day chain smoker, when given a pretty sudden ultimatum from my mother gave up that vbery weekend, cold turkey, never smoked since. anyone who says he ''must be doin it secretly'' has clearly never smelt a 40 a day chain smoker. i asked him how and he told me he knew he could do it and he, like me, noted that the majoirty of smokers, most of who find giving up or going without hard, persuade themselves and tell themselves it is going to be hard so they have already put a psychological barrier in front of them.

if you put the nhs adverts which tell you ''you need a 24 hour support team to give up or you will need to be sectioned blah blah'' aside and convince yourself that cigarettes will only take you over if you let em them it's actually very easy to just smoke on and off and only when u feel like it and not get in a tissy when you have to go without for a few days.

it is also a much more enjoyable and healthy way of smoking. nothing against ehavy smokers btw, sorry if i seem that way, i am just trying to show the sceptics who think anyone who ever looked at a fag is a victim of a weak psycholoigical state and needs to be put in therapy that they are wrong
PAPAdawg
never tried them. I used to smoke marlboro lights but i prefer the smooth, light taste of silk cut. I'd probably find l and b a bit harsh

As a fellow 'non addict', do you find that pretty much everyone thinks you're making it up when you say truthfully that you can pretty much give up at will and dont crave them?

when people get picky about it i just ask them ''what food do you like?''...when they answer i then say, assuming they answered ''salt and vinegar crisps'', ''do you ever crave sal and vinegar crisps?'' ''no'' ''could you live without them if i told you they were harming you?'' ''yes'' ''then stfu then :cool: ''

i think the ''addictiveness'' of cigarettes is almost purely psychological. my dad, a former 30-40 a day chain smoker, when given a pretty sudden ultimatum from my mother gave up that vbery weekend, cold turkey, never smoked since. anyone who says he ''must be doin it secretly'' has clearly never smelt a 40 a day chain smoker. i asked him how and he told me he knew he could do it and he, like me, noted that the majoirty of smokers, most of who find giving up or going without hard, persuade themselves and tell themselves it is going to be hard so they have already put a psychological barrier in front of them.

if you put the nhs adverts which tell you ''you need a 24 hour support team to give up or you will need to be sectioned blah blah'' aside and convince yourself that cigarettes will only take you over if you let em them it's actually very easy to just smoke on and off and only when u feel like it and not get in a tissy when you have to go without for a few days.

it is also a much more enjoyable and healthy way of smoking. nothing against ehavy smokers btw, sorry if i seem that way, i am just trying to show the sceptics who think anyone who ever looked at a fag is a victim of a weak psycholoigical state and needs to be put in therapy that they are wrong

That is a realy good analogy (SP?) of the crisps, but yeh I just enjoy it, im seeing a guy who smokes so ill smoke with him and enjoy the spending time sat outside smoking and sometimes I just feel like it. but absolutely no addiction. \i jsut smoke L+B coz its what the people around me when i started did and I jsut prefer them tbh
Reply 76
hotshot
for the record, smoking a cigarette as a social or 'non-regular' smoker does NOT actually induce a relaxed sensation.

That is not for you to say.

I see what you're trying to do, but relaxation cannot be defined solely in a narrow physiological sense. I relax by sitting in my garden under a tree simply because, I suppose, it's pleasant and familiar. The exact same thing is true of cigarettes. It can be relaxing just to lie back, concentrate on something simple, enjoy the taste and sensation and watch smoke rising.

PAPAdawg

I agree entirely. Physical dependency for tobacco is easily overcome. Indeed, I've had more adverse physical sensations from going 'cold turkey' on caffeine.

It is simply a matter of willpower, and frankly I have no time for people who have none of that.
punktopia
Probably fixated on image and what others think of them, too.

Ignoring the first part, because for some it's true.

But really...I've never met a smoker who seriously did it for image.
Just had a smoke...it calms my nerve
Reply 79
L i b
That is not for you to say.

I see what you're trying to do, but relaxation cannot be defined solely in a narrow physiological sense. I relax by sitting in my garden under a tree simply because, I suppose, it's pleasant and familiar. The exact same thing is true of cigarettes. It can be relaxing just to lie back, concentrate on something simple, enjoy the taste and sensation and watch smoke rising.

QUOTE]

ur right in that sense my friend. physiologically though, in a similar way that some drugs induce a feeling of calmness, nicotine in cigarettes do as well except it is true only for regular smokers. thx

Latest

Trending

Trending