The Student Room Group

You know the problem with results day?

It's far too late after the exams.

After my last exam, I was moderately confident that I achieved the grades that I need to get in to university. As time has progressed, I've had time to reflect over my exams and I seem to be thinking I've done worse and worse in them as the days go by. Recent newspaper articles, such as http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/aug/14/university-clearing-places-alevel-students don't help at all, either. At this point in time my confidence that I've reached my offer is about as low as it can be, probably reaching an all-time low on Wednesday.

Do most other people feel this way? I think that employing thousands of new examiners and bringing results day forward by a few weeks would be a massive benefit for both students and those out of work.

:yep:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
nearly there fishes nearly there.:console:

and yeah i agree. :h:
Reply 2
They pay peanuts for exam paper marking. If they upped the pay they'd get more people willing to do it and the whole process could be completed so much quicker.
Reply 3
Yeah I agree :smile:
Reply 4
Yeah, nice idea.
Agree with that indeed - only had to wait a couple of weeks for my university exam results compared with the ages I had to wait last year.

There was talk of post qualifications applications I seem to recall where you'd get your A-level grades then after that apply to university.Would make far more sense , I'd have much preferred a system like that becuase I'd have felt less under pressure.
Reply 6
Off-topic: I agree with one of the comments that British students should take more advantage of studying in the EU. That's what it's there for, no?
OP: I agree.
Reply 8
I know, it'd be such a nicer experience if you could choose your uni with your grades in hand. No devestation and heart palpatations waiting on results day. They should change the system but it'll probably never happen, not in the next few years anyway. I think the whole system would have to be scrapped, like the sats and a new one brought in.

Or compulsory gap years ? :yep:
Reply 9
Turns dramatically - OF COURSE!

I think this applies to everyone right now.
Perhaps worryingly, I'm the opposite. I came out of my exams absolutely distraught; but now as it sort of fades away I think "maybe, just maybe, it wasn't that bad" and "oh maybe I'll be able to scrape an A". I have to force myself to remember just how badly it went. :frown:
googlegel
Turns dramatically

Nice dramatic turn :yes:
Yeah actually. They should have a means by which the papers are sent off electronically and returned within a week.
I think it's natural to worry the longer times goes by, so I wouldn't worry about it, OP.

If it makes you feel any better: my understanding is that in Sri Lanka, it takes months to get your A Level results and then months between that and going to uni. So the wait is much much longer in other parts of the world :yes:
Reply 14
Those "NONE OF YOU ARE GONNA GET YOUR UNI PLACES! HA HA!" articles are really beginning to get on my nerves too.
Reply 15
actually if you managed to do well in AS..you would be more confident in meeting your offers. so i don't see why students have to apply after they get their exam results. but i think they should make results day much earlier. at least before august.
Reply 16
Dijobla
Off-topic: I agree with one of the comments that British students should take more advantage of studying in the EU. That's what it's there for, no?

Great in theory - but no loans or grants if you study outside the UK
Reply 17
hell no...the longer i don't know, the better. I'd quite happily get through the rest of my life not knowing my A level grades...anyone else feel this way??!
Reply 18
Vicious Fishes
It's far too late after the exams.

After my last exam, I was moderately confident that I achieved the grades that I need to get in to university. As time has progressed, I've had time to reflect over my exams and I seem to be thinking I've done worse and worse in them as the days go by. Recent newspaper articles, such as http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/aug/14/university-clearing-places-alevel-students don't help at all, either. At this point in time my confidence that I've reached my offer is about as low as it can be, probably reaching an all-time low on Wednesday.

Do most other people feel this way? I think that employing thousands of new exminers and bringing results day forward by a few weeks would be a massive benefit for both students and those out of work.

:yep:

Agree with everything but the bit in bold is a bit :s-smilie:
They would need a bit of training first, dont want any old bill or bob marking exam papers thanks!
kate_shoes
I know, it'd be such a nicer experience if you could choose your uni with your grades in hand. No devestation and heart palpatations waiting on results day. They should change the system but it'll probably never happen, not in the next few years anyway. I think the whole system would have to be scrapped, like the sats and a new one brought in.

Or compulsory gap years ? :yep:

Agreed with everything but the last line. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending