The Student Room Group

UK Citizen thinking of joining the US Army, ERM ?!

Ok.

I've got a Green Card granted to live in the USA through family from around September. I eventually want to get citizenship so I have a US and EU passport by the time I'm like 25 so I have some freedom in the future if I get bored in the UK or wherever.

But If I struggle for work, I was thinking of joining the US army or Navy as a Foreign national. I could go in as officer rank with my degree (if accepted), and only have to serve four years rather than five to get my nationalisation and then leave if I wanted to.

But, I just thought what people thought about this in terms of morality? Also if they think there'd be much likliness of bullying or anything or being extra tough etc.? I mean I'm from Liverpool so don't get me wrong, I can handle myself , but could do without the hassle (haha).

I'm basically just wanting to explore all different avenues at the moment as I've just graduated with first class honours but I can't apply for anywhere until this green card comes through so this is a different street for me and wanted some thoughts on it before I may sign up for something that I'll regret for gooood.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
All I know is their tour of duty is harsh
Reply 2
Good luck? The US army is a bit crap. The Marine's is where its at
I imagine there'd be a bit of banter but nothing nasty, you're fighting for the same cause.
Reply 4
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all

If you're happy to say the above then go for it
Reply 5
Its actually quite common for people to join other nation's armed forces. The frech foreign legion is the prime example.
Reply 6
Eh, I see nothing wrong with it if that's what you want. Because then you would be fighting for the cause, not the country. Or maybe the country if you're so inclined. But don't enlist. I hear that's terrible.
Reply 7
bloody scousers :egg:
Reue
Its actually quite common for people to join other nation's armed forces. The frech foreign legion is the prime example.

The Legion is a bit of a special case, really, in that it doesn't really work the same way. It's far less common for people to join other countries' armed forces in circumstances such as the OP's. Of course there are some exceptions to this but by and large it's not that common.
Reply 9
Aj12
Good luck? The US army is a bit crap. The Marine's is where its at

Good man :yep:
Reply 10
ChrisBan
If you're happy to say the above then go for it

The military does not say that this is the military oath of office ...

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God."

it is not uncommon for an armed forces to apply an oath to it's soldiers.

Do not go in unless you are sure you want it. My father would not let me enlist myself, he retired after 22 years as a SMSGT in the US Air Force. Make sure you can pass the physicals and make sure you are willing to lead like you are intended, an idiot enlisted kills himself, and idiot officer kills his men.
Reply 11
Reue

& the Taliban
Texan88
Do not go in unless you are sure you want it. My father would not let me enlist myself, he retired after 22 years as a SMSGT in the US Air Force. Make sure you can pass the physicals and make sure you are willing to lead like you are intended, an idiot enlisted kills himself, and idiot officer kills his men.
This is particularly important to note. I agree
Mattw89
Ok.

I've got a Green Card granted to live in the USA through family from around September. I eventually want to get citizenship so I have a US and EU passport by the time I'm like 25 so I have some freedom in the future if I get bored in the UK or wherever.

But If I struggle for work, I was thinking of joining the US army or Navy as a Foreign national. I could go in as officer rank with my degree (if accepted), and only have to serve four years rather than five to get my nationalisation and then leave if I wanted to.

But, I just thought what people thought about this in terms of morality? Also if they think there'd be much likliness of bullying or anything or being extra tough etc.? I mean I'm from Liverpool so don't get me wrong, I can handle myself , but could do without the hassle (haha).

I'm basically just wanting to explore all different avenues at the moment as I've just graduated with first class honours but I can't apply for anywhere until this green card comes through so this is a different street for me and wanted some thoughts on it before I may sign up for something that I'll regret for gooood.

if you have a strong english accent and have spent your entire childhood in america you be made a laughing stock

why not join the British army and work with americans that way ?
Reply 14
Under your current citizenship do you not have rules about serving in a foreign military?

I know as an American citizen it states in our passports under 13. Loss of U.S. Citizenship (3) serving in the armed forces of a foreign state.

Also, to become an officer in any military branch right now is about a years wait or longer. I know I was thinking about it, but changed my mind. I'm going to get my masters instead.
Reply 15
ChantzFox
Under your current citizenship do you not have rules about serving in a foreign military?

I know as an American citizen it states in our passports under 13. Loss of U.S. Citizenship (3) serving in the armed forces of a foreign state.

Also, to become an officer in any military branch right now is about a years wait or longer. I know I was thinking about it, but changed my mind. I'm going to get my masters instead.

I just looked this up to make sure,

3. Entering or serving in the armed forces of a foreign state engaged in hostilities against the U.S. or serving as a commissioned or non-commissioned officer in the armed forces of a foreign state;

Did not know that :eek3:
Reply 16
Why not the British Army? Queen and Country and all that?
You can't do it. Read up more on the requirements for commissioned service in the US military.
Reply 18
If you sign up for the US mil you have to relinquish any other nationality, so you'd no longer have dual Brit-US passports.

[I know this due to a frind in the ANG who had US & Spanish citizenship]
Reply 19
Original post by ProStacker
You can't do it. Read up more on the requirements for commissioned service in the US military.

yes you can.

Latest