The Student Room Group

Discuss your 2010-11 UCAS decisions *HERE*

Scroll to see replies

I had a friend who last year received an unconditional even though she was just starting her A2's! Doubt she'd lie about it either.. :s-smilie:
Reply 41
Original post by (You)
People with AS-levels getting unconditionals? Never seen that, sorry I'd thought you were referring to Highers. If AS-levels were qualifications in their own right (whereas they're only really half an official qualification) then theoretically I guess they could get unconditionals.

AS Levels are qualifications in their own right, same as Highers are, it's just that they generally aren't enough, on their own, to qualify you for university entry.
Original post by yesnaa
Hey, I've received an offer from a university for a course that is different to the one that I applied for. Are they allowed to do that? Am major confused :frown:
Yes, they are. It's up to you whether to accept that offer (but you don't have to decide now).
Reply 42
Original post by (You)
They won't be in the same way as Highers are. Are they not half an A-level?
They are stand-alone qualifications, that can also be counted towards completing a full A level. A lot of people take fewer A levels than they do AS levels, and the AS level counts as a separate qualification either way.
Reply 43
Original post by (You)
An A at AS-level = 60 points.
An A at Higher = 80 points.

Since most people (appear to do about four AS levels on TSR, I guess it doesn't generate enough points... or it might be the course content involved).

:dontknow:
The issue is the level of study, as far as university entry is concerned. That is why it would be unlikely that an applicant offering AS levels only would get an unconditional offer in Scotland, and wouldn't in England.
Original post by yesnaa
Hey, I've received an offer from a university for a course that is different to the one that I applied for. Are they allowed to do that? Am major confused :frown:

It can sometimes happen with duel honours/courses leading to a masters. What did you apply for and what did they offer you?
Original post by skilled_will
I'm applying for the same course, when did you send off your ucas?

26th of September :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by sunlightxstarbright
It can sometimes happen with duel honours/courses leading to a masters. What did you apply for and what did they offer you?

Well I got an offer from Manchester the other day that I THOUGHT was for PPE. Last night I actually read the letter and it's for Philosophy & Politics, so what you just said makes sense lol. That's quite annoying, but thank you :smile:
Reply 47
I got a letter the other day from birmingham saying:

"We have received a copy of your UCAS form and are pleased to see that you have included this School as one of your choices. You should receive a letter from the University offering you a place, subject to a certain level of performance in your upcoming examinations. This will then update on UCAS..."

I just find the wording funny, does this mean that I already got accepted or just an acknowledgement?

Cheers for any help!
Original post by sneakerologist
What day/time did you get that offer? Also, what were the conditions?

Mine for Politics and IR came at around 1PM on a Friday :smile:
Original post by Artibv
University: Nottingham
Course: Mathematics and Philosophy
Date Application sent:
Decision: Conditional
Requirements: AAB
Reaction: SOOOO HAPPY! Even though it wasn't my first choice, its the first reply that I've gotten. For some reason I was convinced that I wouldn't get in. But YAY.

Hey, I'm also a just accepted Nottingham maths and philosophy hopeful. Come and join our very small thread of maths and philosophy applicants 2011
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1448968 :smile:
Got my first offer today, Cardiff for Psychology AAB! Over the bleeding moon!
Reply 51
Original post by asabashoyuki
Here comes the first person (probably?) who got rejected, yay.

I hate UCL ?fury?

Well, at least I still have got manchester working as back ups...ahaha...(sigh

What were your AS grades / predicted grades? I have also applied to UCL but still waiting for a reply... I really don't think I am gong to get an offer after seeing everyone else's grades that have applied there! :confused:
wowwee, so cardiff have started giving offers. good to know...
Original post by Beth_F
What were your AS grades / predicted grades? I have also applied to UCL but still waiting for a reply... I really don't think I am gong to get an offer after seeing everyone else's grades that have applied there! :confused:

AS - Maths A Music A Business D (ICT Dist)
Predicted A*AA Dist B (Maths/Music/Business/ICT/Chinese)+ Cashed-in A in Japanese

This is probably the fifth time that I answer this question lol
Reply 54
I got an offer of sorts from John Moores :biggrin:

They invited me to an applicant day and so I emailed them to say that I thought applicant days were for people who had been made an offer and that I hadn't, so did this mean I was going to be made an offer?

They said yes, that they'd update UCAS in the next few days :banana:
Original post by tamtamsham
Universisty: Warwick
Course: GV15 Maths and philosophy
Date Application sent: 4th october
Decision: Conditional
Offer conditions: A*A*A + 2 in STEP
Reaction: So happy! My first choice if I don't get an oxford offer although the conditions are rather daunting :tongue:

Holy ****! Good luck sir.
any offers for economics?
Got an offer for RHUL today!
My second offer in 2 days, got Cardiff yesterday which is my first choice so I'm absolutely over the moon!
Original post by PaperSnowAGhost!
any offers for economics?

you name the degree, manchester has given an offer for it.

UCL have been active in rejections today, it looks like you have survived the first wave. fingers crossed.

nottingham have given offers to international applicants but are waiting til after the jan deadline for domestic.

watch this space.
Original post by greebo-man
you name the degree, manchester has given an offer for it.

UCL have been active in rejections today, it looks like you have survived the first wave. fingers crossed.

nottingham have given offers to international applicants but are waiting til after the jan deadline for domestic.

watch this space.

I almost fainted... thanks though :smile:

you applying for economics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending