The Student Room Group

Organ donation-Yay or nay?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
I can't quite grasp this 'everything but my eyes' philosophy.

It seems so ludicrous. You're willing to give up your skin (visible...), liver, lungs, heart, kidneys and a whole host of other material, but not your corneas? It's not as if you'll know anything about it anyway; it's not as if you'll be using them.
'No! I want to keep my organs with me when I die! They'll be so much use to me!'

Of course I am pro-organ donation, I'm signed up (possibly three times by accident). I would want an organ if I needed one so why not donate one as well?
Original post by Kinkerz

It seems so ludicrous. You're willing to give up your skin (visible...), liver, lungs, heart, kidneys and a whole host of other material, but not your corneas? It's not as if you'll know anything about it anyway; it's not as if you'll be using them.

I'm not willing to give up skin or eyes...didn't even know skin was an option? Definitely wasn't on the list when I signed up when I got my driving license!)
Reply 123
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I'm not willing to give up skin or eyes...didn't even know skin was an option? Definitely wasn't on the list when I signed up when I got my driving license!)

But why? What is it about them being visible that makes you averse to donating them?

PS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transplantable_organs_and_tissues#Cornea
Reply 124
I'm on the list but my mother wasn't too pleased about it, but **** her.
Reply 125
Original post by Kinkerz

I said anything but my eyes too, I think I'm doing a good deed by giving away most of my organs but my eyes, I just don't like the idea of someone else using them when I'm gone. And skin wasn't on the list when I signed up either
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 126
Original post by left.handed.leo
Personally I am a strong believer in fate, as I believe if your body is shutting down then your time is up...so no I will not donate my organs.
I know I should donate as my auntie’s life was saved by organ donation, so maybe I could be convinced to donate if I knew exactly who would receive my organs if they were ‘good’ people or worthwhile causes but as this is not possible at the moment I will not donate.
I also agree that I do not want any surgeons messing with my body as I would rather go from this earth exactly as I came in with all my organs intact! I'm also genuinely afraid of surgery I know I’ll be dead but still the thought of it terrifies me! :s-smilie:

So if you ended up with a form of organ failure that meant you required a transplant to stay alive, you'd elect to die because of some romantic idea of 'fate'?
Reply 127
Original post by Lewis :D
I said anything but my eyes too, I think I'm doing a good deed by giving away most of my organs but my eyes, I just don't like the idea of someone else using them when I'm gone.

I'm trying to understand why that is.
Original post by Kinkerz
But why? What is it about them being visible that makes you averse to donating them?

PS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transplantable_organs_and_tissues#Cornea

I would like the appearance of myself when I'm going to be buried
Reply 129
I see it as hijacking someone elses body after I die :wink:
Reply 130
how legal is it to sell the organs of family members and arrange for them to be extracted while those family members are in a precomatose state>?
tbh I don't like the idea of some alcoholic chav getting my well-looked-after liver so I'd only do it if I had some kind of say over who's eligible to receive my pristine organs
Original post by mermania
tbh I don't like the idea of some alcoholic chav getting my well-looked-after liver so I'd only do it if I had some kind of say over who's eligible to receive my pristine organs

I can see why you would say this, but surely by allowing "some alcoholic chav" or "some dirty smoker" or whatever to have your liver or lungs then you are still making the waiting list shorter for people who are more deserving of organs?
I would be ok with it, but cba. Also, nobody would want my organs anyway, they'll end up in a worse position. :rolleyes:
Personally I am a strong believer in fate, as I believe if your body is shutting down then your time is up...so no I will not donate my organs.
I know I should donate as my auntie’s life was saved by organ donation, so maybe I could be convinced to donate if I knew exactly who would receive my organs if they were ‘good’ people or worthwhile causes but as this is not possible at the moment I will not donate.
I also agree that I do not want any surgeons messing with my body as I would rather go from this earth exactly as I came in with all my organs intact! I'm also genuinely afraid of surgery I know I’ll be dead but still the thought of it terrifies me! :s-smilie:

I personally don't have a problem with organ donation. I want to take up your point on only giving up organs to 'good' people.

How do you define what it 'good' and who gets the organs? If you start by saying 'only give my lungs to non-smokers' you might end up with people saying 'Only give my organs to white people'.

Also, If you're scared of your body being operated on when you're dead, aren't you terrified of it being burnt or decomposed by worms underground? xD
Original post by Kinkerz

I don't understand it either. Some peole seem to be under this misconception that their loved ones are going to walk down the street and spot someone with the deceased persons eyes. Strange really.
Original post by Kinkerz
So if you ended up with a form of organ failure that meant you required a transplant to stay alive, you'd elect to die because of some romantic idea of 'fate'?

ha I guess so then, I just think things happen for a reason because everyone has to die sometime and maybe if I have organ failiure then my time is up!
Reply 137
ha I guess so then, I just think things happen for a reason because everyone has to die sometime and maybe if I have organ failiure then my time is up!

If I ever need a transplant, it'd be nice if everyone else above me on the list thought like you. I seem to think that (if and) when push comes to shove, staring death in the face, you might change your mind, however.

Well I suppose it's one way of keeping the waiting list for new organs down....
How far do you take this belief in faith? Would you refuse other medical interventions eg. meds if you were ill, on the basis your time has to end at some point?
Original post by student777
I personally don't have a problem with organ donation. I want to take up your point on only giving up organs to 'good' people.

How do you define what it 'good' and who gets the organs? If you start by saying 'only give my lungs to non-smokers' you might end up with people saying 'Only give my organs to white people'.

Also, If you're scared of your body being operated on when you're dead, aren't you terrified of it being burnt or decomposed by worms underground? xD

I get your point it's impossible for me to know who is 'good' but probably the 'only give my lungs to non-smokers' or 'liver to those who are not alcoholic' or something like that I would never discriminate race wise, whoever would look after and respect my organs really as you could never predict who would lead a good life (not murder,abuse,violent etc.)

seriously though ' If you're scared of your body being operated on when you're dead, aren't you terrified of it being burnt or decomposed by worms underground?' that's actually a sore point I am geniunly terrified of that as I used to have vivid nightmares when I was young after going to a funural of waking up in a coffin also waking up in the middle of being cremated burning - so yeah I'm scared of that! Guess I'm just too much of a wimp! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending