The Student Room Group

We're all going to die one day..so why is suicide wrong?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hmmmmm well commiting sucide is scary.
If you killed yourself, they'd blame themselves for not noticing anything was wrong- and it would stay with them for the rest of their lives. Trust me, I know that from experience.
Original post by paella
lolwut - you are a nasty person, because ultimately you'd prefer him to suffer for you, than stop suffering - you're happy ofr him to feel awful just so you can experience his company. Which is disgusting.

Wow, well done. Thats exactly me, knowing my friend suffers and wants to kill himself is such a joy I dont want it to end, ever.
Seriously, grow up. I think accepting your friend to harm himself just because he's depressed is way more selfish. At least I try to help instead of wishing him a good and quick death.
Reply 63
It's not wrong, it's your body and it's up to you what you want to do with it. Suicidal thoughts can't be cured, drugs are only temporary. I think it's incredibly selfish to stop someone from killing themselves when they simply cannot cope. People who know suicidal people should help them achieve what they want to achieve in their lives, i.e. going somewhere they've always wanted to go, or buy them something they've always wanted, after all once they're gone (which is very likely if they build up the courage to kill themselves) it'll be too late.
Reply 64
In the right situation, assisted dying, is the correct course of action (anyone who watched terry pratchet's speech on this will almost definately agree).

Suicide, however, implies that you are not sound of mind and it is an illogical decision. On a personal level I think that to give up and permanently get away from it all is quite weak. If you are in a tough spot in life and you eventually get yourself through it then you'll be able to do anything, as every hardship is an opportunity.
Reply 65
Original post by Lewis :D
It's not wrong, it's your body and it's up to you what you want to do with it. Suicidal thoughts can't be cured, drugs are only temporary. I think it's incredibly selfish to stop someone from killing themselves when they simply cannot cope. People who know suicidal people should help them achieve what they want to achieve in their lives, i.e. going somewhere they've always wanted to go, or buy them something they've always wanted, after all once they're gone (which is very likely if they build up the courage to kill themselves) it'll be too late.

Just to clarify, suicidal thoughts can be temporary, (and can also be temporary but reoccuring). I don't have an issue with the rest of your post, you are clearly entitled to your own opinion. Just wanted to throw it out there.

Also, the majority of suicides are impulsive. If somebody wants to sign a piece of paper saying they want to die and a week later they still feel the same way, IMO that's a little different than the impulsive way a lot of people do it now.
Original post by wannabebrit
Why is suicide wrong? We're all going to die.some of us just want to die earlier than others. You say think of your family and friends who will be devastated if you commit suicide..will they be jumping for joy if I died a natural death?

What a stupid question.

There's clearly a difference between letting nature take its course and deliberately choosing to meet a grisly end, no matter how slow, painful or horrifying it is. What do you think your parents would be more upset by? You dying a natural death, or you being so utterly sad and miserable that you felt you had no other option but to kill yourself?
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Suicide is a way of showing that you're so weak that you can't handle the pressure of life.

Living to a grand old age and going out comfortably and with dignity is how you win the game.

This is the biggest load of crap I've read on this forum and that's saying something.
Reply 68
Original post by Captain92
Just to clarify, suicidal thoughts can be temporary, (and can also be temporary but reoccuring). I don't have an issue with the rest of your post, you are clearly entitled to your own opinion. Just wanted to throw it out there.

Also, the majority of suicides are impulsive. If somebody wants to sign a piece of paper saying they want to die and a week later they still feel the same way, IMO that's a little different than the impulsive way a lot of people do it now.

Yeah sorry, I didn't mean people who temporarily want to die, I meant people who genuinely think about it often.
Reply 69
It is human nature to survive, therefore, wanting to commit suicide is a mental illness, which can be cured with the right help.

Also it is extremely selfish, when i'm sure a lot of people are in a worse situation then yourself and get on with life and try and live it to the fullest.
Reply 70
Original post by littlepotatoe
erm no, not really, i dont think it's a bad thing to want them to stay alive, whereas wanting to die isnt really good for them, is it?
so...

Why is dying necessarily a bad thing?
Original post by Mm_Minty
Why is dying necessarily a bad thing?

aha right, this is a completely different topic then, needless to say that death is usually what people fight against. but well.
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Suicide is a way of showing that you're so weak that you can't handle the pressure of life.

Living to a grand old age and going out comfortably and with dignity is how you win the game.

Someone might have said this... I cba to read 4 pages of a thread.

How is living to a grand old age going out with dignity. With care home workers wiping your ass and you not being able to stand on your own two feet?
Reply 73
Original post by littlepotatoe
aha right, this is a completely different topic then, needless to say that death is usually what people fight against. but well.

Well what?
People usually fight against death as an instinct, and most people think that we're higher being who are capable of overriding our instincts in favour of our higher faculties.
Original post by Ollie.Raikkonen
Someone might have said this... I cba to read 4 pages of a thread.

How is living to a grand old age going out with dignity. With care home workers wiping your ass and you not being able to stand on your own two feet?

The whole reason I said "with dignity" was to emphasise that it should not be undignified.

If you end up disabled or unable to care for yourself then by all means do what you have to, I'd hate to exist like that and wouldn't wish it on anyone.
I'd only check myself out in the worst case scenario, my family has a history of dementia, and I'd rather die than live like that, or live in a wheelchair or something like that.

In any other situation though, I'm going down fighting.
Reply 76
xx
(edited 12 years ago)
I think that this is a topic which many people would change their opinion on if someone close to them had committed suicide.
Earlier this year my Grandfather committed suicide. No suicide note, just put a bag over his head in his garage and that was that. We as a family are left with no explanation, no idea why he would do this. It makes you feel guilty, as if we might have been able to stop him if we'd gone to see him more, or helped him in some way. It really is a horrible situation to be in, knowing that someone you loved and cared about could be suffering that badly and not even ask for help. It is honestly the worst feeling in the world, and I am of the opinion that it is a selfish act. In taking ones life, you do not consider the feelings of others around you.
Original post by lightburns
You think that it's better to not tell your family what is going on? Put a happy mask over your troubles and let them all live in the dark?
If you are honest and speak to your family (which often eases people's pain somewhat - and they should want to help), then they know your are living an unhappy life and they know the causes of it.

At the end of the day, if someone's life is so bad they want to commit suicide, they should be able to without the guilt. Their pain is unbearable, whereas family will recover. I agree with the OP that it isn't that different from a natural death, but also with you that it is different, and more painful. Just I don't think it's majorly different.

I have no problem with people committing suicide, as long as they dont jump in front of my bloody train and disrupt the whole service for 3hours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending