The Student Room Group

Being far too fussy for my own good... (uni choices)

Soooo. This year I applied to Oxford, and like a real fool who tried to keep to the deadline chose my choices without truly considering other universities (for Psychology). Failing at getting into Oxford and UCL, the ones I really hoped for, I'm not happy with my other choices (York, Durham and Edinburgh.) and wish I'd applied to Royal Holloway, because it's closer to home, love the location and the course. Is it worth applying through UCAS Extra to see if any spots are left at Royal Holloway, or should I go for York (where I have an offer) which is *supposedly* just as good for Psych?

SUMMARY: Royal Holloway or York? Why? :tongue:

EDIT: Yeah, I've talked about this a lottt on TSR. Sorry. Just really stuck >_<
You can't apply through UCAS extra unless you decline any offers you've already got.
Reply 2
Go to York, if you wait Royal Holloway might not be in Extra, and if it isn't that means waiting a year. By this time the fees will of rose.
Reply 3
Original post by Potally_Tissed
You can't apply through UCAS extra unless you decline any offers you've already got.

I understand that. It's a risk I'm willing to take really, but I'd obviously check if they were available in Extra. :redface:

And that's a very good point (about uni fee increase) ugh, I hate decisions...
Original post by Origamistars
Soooo. This year I applied to Oxford, and like a real fool who tried to keep to the deadline chose my choices without truly considering other universities (for Psychology). Failing at getting into Oxford and UCL, the ones I really hoped for, I'm not happy with my other choices (York, Durham and Edinburgh.) and wish I'd applied to Royal Holloway, because it's closer to home, love the location and the course. Is it worth applying through UCAS Extra to see if any spots are left at Royal Holloway, or should I go for York (where I have an offer) which is *supposedly* just as good for Psych?

EDIT: Yeah, I've talked about this a lottt on TSR. Sorry. Just really stuck >_<

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Changing_your_Mind#Want_to_change_university.3F

Might help. I'd go for York, but you're not happy with it so my opinion is irrelevant.
Reply 5
Original post by TheSownRose
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Changing_your_Mind#Want_to_change_university.3F

Might help. I'd go for York, but you're not happy with it so my opinion is irrelevant.

Thank you, that is really helpful- may I ask why you'd choose York? :smile:

EDIT: Yeah, I've talked about this a lottt on TSR. Sorry. Just really stuck &gt;_&lt;

How do you know you won't be happy at York, Durham and Edinburgh?

Perhaps go on an open day or an informal visit? You may just surprise yourself...
Reply 7
Original post by im so academic
How do you know you won't be happy at York, Durham and Edinburgh?

Perhaps go on an open day or an informal visit? You may just surprise yourself...

That's very true. It's mainly the distance from home; York is the closest, and that's 4 hours, Durham 5 and Edinburgh 6, whereas Royal Holloway is only 2, I prefer the location and I know people in London, which would really help (especially as I lovvee London. Big time.) I know I'd be happy wherever I'd end up, but being that far away I couldn't afford going home... When I applied I didn't think it'd matter that much, but apparently it really does..! haha :smile: But I will definitely visit them, to make sure I'm dead sure.
Thank you, that is really helpful- may I ask why you'd choose York? :smile:

Just personal preference, really - I've already lived in London and have no desire to ever do it again. On the other hand, York is a pleasant place and the uni is nice.
That's very true. It's mainly the distance from home; York is the closest, and that's 4 hours, Durham 5 and Edinburgh 6, whereas Royal Holloway is only 2, I prefer the location and I know people in London, which would really help (especially as I lovvee London. Big time.) I know I'd be happy wherever I'd end up, but being that far away I couldn't afford going home... When I applied I didn't think it'd matter that much, but apparently it really does..! haha :smile: But I will definitely visit them, to make sure I'm dead sure.

On the other hand, it's a new experience and you can explore a new area of the country. :dontknow:

And of course you would be able to afford home. Ever heard of the 16-25 railcard? And I'm sure you can get a part-time job at your future university union or some sort of work to pay for travel costs. :yep:

You do realise RHUL is not in London, its in Egham which is about an hour away and not exactly a studenty place.
Reply 11
Original post by im so academic
On the other hand, it's a new experience and you can explore a new area of the country. :dontknow:

And of course you would be able to afford home. Ever heard of the 16-25 railcard? And I'm sure you can get a part-time job at your future university union or some sort of work to pay for travel costs. :yep:

You know, that's a good point :tongue: I have a 16-25 railcard, but it's still pretty expensive... :blushing: Even though I have a job at home and I'm not even paying living expenses, haha! :tongue: It's a good way to look at it though. I need to stop overthinking these kinds of things... :tongue:

EDIT@jelly1000: I know :smile: It's a great location for me, really. How do you mean, not a studenty place, sorry? :colondollar:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Instead of declining all your choices, try and find somebody who is already on UCAS extra, and ask them to check for you.
Original post by Wenger
Instead of declining all your choices, try and find somebody who is already on UCAS extra, and ask them to check for you.

Extra isn't open until late February.
Personally Id choose York. It is generally thought of as better respected, its beautiful and will probably provide a better experience (in my opinion).

The only reason I didnt apply there is because Its so far away (7 hours) and I couldnt bear that. Had it been even a little closer I would have applied!

Good luck :smile: I would reccomend visiting these universities (should be some post offer open days?) and then you'll know for sure :smile:
Reply 15
I certainly wouldn't rule out York just because of the distance. If there was something else putting you off going there, I'd say try for Royal Holloway, but York's got a great psychology department and as others have said, university's meant to be a new experience, something fresh and interesting. Why don't you go and visit York, or even the other choices that have given you offers? Then, if you really do hate all of them, decline them and go through Extra, but certainly don't rule them out without giving them a fair chance. You never know, you might be surprised by what you find!
Original post by Ewan
Go to York, if you wait Royal Holloway might not be in Extra, and if it isn't that means waiting a year. By this time the fees will of rose.

I completely agree, don't mistake student life at Royal Holloway for student life in London. I'm not saying either is better or worse, they're just not the same.

York's psychology department has just received grants to take on some really interesting work, and is very very strong on neuroscience. If your main interest is in neuroscience you should definitely not pass up that offer; anything could go wrong in extra and clearing and there's a significant chance you'd be stuck going through UCAS all over again, knowing you'd passed up on a brilliant offer and with increased fees to boot.

I think having ANY place at uni this year is worth gold compared to those who'll be reapplying, let alone an offer from one of the top five universities for a hugely oversubscribed subject like psychology.

p.s. on the other hand, if you don't like York as a place, how good the degree is won't make any difference. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest