The Student Room Group

We're all going to die one day..so why is suicide wrong?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Reply 141
Ermmm well if you are religious, it is not really your body to destroy/kill, it belongs to God because He is the creator. If you are not religious, believe it or not, people care about you and you are going to change someone's life by killing yourself.
Original post by IndigoRockGirl
Ok, it's not selfish. But it's not exactly great to put your family and friends etc. through a load of pain, when with treatment for depression and support etc. you might get a good quality of life back and then all the pain would have been for nothing.

Life might get even worse :dontknow: there's nothing to say it will necessarily improve so you don't kill yourself and you get rewarded with 50+ years of even greater pain and suffering. But that's ok, because at least your family get to watch you hate every second of your miserable life. :h:
Original post by wannabebrit
You know in a way..suicide is a way of telling life..**** YOU life..you don't get to decide when I'm going to die. I'm going out on my own terms

Protip: life isn't a person and it doesn't give a ****
Ever heard of absurdism? Google it. For some, suicide is a solution when confronted with the futility of living a life devoid of all purpose, as it is only a means to quicken the resolution of one's ultimate fate. But suicide is not a worthwhile solution, because if life is veritably absurd, it is therefore even more absurd to counteract it; instead, we should engage in living, and reconcile the fact that we live in a world without purpose. Suicide is just another way of avoiding the Absurd, rather than continuing to live in spite of it.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't think suicide's wrong. I think it's sickeningly tempting. I look around my life and I have so many things to be gratefull for, yet I still find my mind wondering to death on a scarilly regular basis. I couldn't though. I just don't have the nerve, which makes me hate myself even more, which makes me fail to see the point in life even more, and so the cycle continues.
But this isn't about me.
I don't think suicide's wrong. Some pain just doesn't end. Some problems can't be fixed. If a person is in that bad a situation and feels that bad that they feel they cannot go on, I'd have respect for them having the nerve to end it, and be glad that they weren't hurting anymore. It's like when people die of a long and painfull disease. Only the disease isn't in your body. It's in your mind.

Could you not consider those circumstances euthanasia, rather than suicide? So often suicide attempts are a cry for help, so they can get the attention they need to help with their lives rather than genuinely wanted to end it. I don't think it's wrong, but I think it's selfish. On the other hand I don't consider euthanasia wong or selfish. Just a musing I had reading your post :smile:
I think the probem with suicide is that whoever is left behind is very likely to spend the rest of their lives wondering why and what could they have done to stop it. Its not the same as someone with a terminal illness going to dignitas. Most of those commiting suicide have mental health problems and its hard to see if they are really of sound enough mind to really want to die. I learnt the hard way that death isn't the answer (overdosed, had a fit and had to be resuscitated). At the time i was sure i wanted to die but experiencing essentially death i changed my mind.
Original post by Sabertooth
Life might get even worse :dontknow: there's nothing to say it will necessarily improve so you don't kill yourself and you get rewarded with 50+ years of even greater pain and suffering. But that's ok, because at least your family get to watch you hate every second of your miserable life. :h:

Suicide goes against the most basic human instinct, which is survival. I'm not saying it is necessarily wrong, and certainly not in all circumstances, I'm just stating the arguments you might use to say it is wrong, because that is what the OP asked.
Original post by IndigoRockGirl
Suicide goes against the most basic human instinct, which is survival. I'm not saying it is necessarily wrong, and certainly not in all circumstances, I'm just stating the arguments you might use to say it is wrong, because that is what the OP asked.

I'm just stating the arguments against your arguments. :smile:
Reply 149
Original post by lightburns
Like everything, there's another way to look at this.

Suicide is also a way of showing you have the strength to do something about it when you're in a bad position.

I have been through some sh*t, and sometimes people tell me about how I'm strong and they respect that. But they're wrong - the only reason I am still alive is because I was too weak to do myself in when things got tough. I let it happen to me, and did not take the only way out of the situation. What right do I have to complain about what happened to me when I didn't solve the problem, despite knowing the solution?

To the OP, I agree.
Our bodies are the only thing which always should belong to us, no matter what the circumstances. Society does not agree, they want to control your own body. They prevent you from putting drugs into it, you can be sectioned for harming it too badly, and everyone will abandon you should you want to kill it.
My body is my own. I don't appreciate society and gov't deciding that they in fact own my body.

Depends on the person tbh...for me it's super strength not to do it, and that's the same for other's too.
Reply 150

It's very unlikely you'll going to have 50+ years of a misirable life....i mean it may be up and down, aka one year is even worse then the previous but somewhere it will get better, and somewhere it will get worse again.

Even you do live in one of those countries where you just dont have the power to make anything better and things just always seem to be terrible - but even they seem not to look on life like that.

Even with disabilities/mental illnesses, being tortured for years, things get better - because we learn to deal with them =).
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by AshleyT
It's very unlikely you'll going to have 50+ years of a misirable life....i mean it may be up and down, aka one year is even worse then the previous but somewhere it will get better, and somewhere it will get worse again.

Even you do live in one of those countries where you just dont have the power to make anything better and things just always seem to be terrible - but even they seem not to look on life like that.

Even with disabilities/mental illnesses, being tortured for years, things get better - because we learn to deal with them =).

Not in my experience. I think a good deal of it depends on what's wrong anyway, you can't make blanket statements that it gets better for everyone, there's nothing to say that the mental illness won't increase in severity and therefore give even more symptoms then before - getting "used" to it isn't really an option then. I'm just pointing out why the other poster's mindless optimism isn't necessarily going to apply across the board.
Reply 152
Not in my experience. I think a good deal of it depends on what's wrong anyway, you can't make blanket statements that it gets better for everyone, there's nothing to say that the mental illness won't increase in severity and therefore give even more symptoms then before - getting "used" to it isn't really an option then. I'm just pointing out why the other poster's mindless optimism isn't necessarily going to apply across the board.

Mmm...*Shrugs*...i always try to find the bright side in everything. And i mean everything. Even when i was literally homeless at some point, i was trying to find the bright side to it, and at that point the bright side was literally 'can't get that much worse right now...'. But that was enough for me to be able to hold on.

And even if you cant make a blanket of statements - thinking it could get better (even if it wont) is better than nothing. Hope is better than nothing.

And at least with mental illness there's a little bit more you can do over physical illness...like with some of the medications, or taking people for days out to cheer them up etc. Whereas physical illnesses like cancer, if they get worse they get worse...

Idk, i dont really have experience with deterioating mental illnesses that didnt end in suicide(so i didnt get a chance to see what had really happened after deterioation). The ones who i saw were seriously mentally ill beyond proper functoning, couldnt get much worse anyway. So the only way was up.

But yeah, I think its vital to always try and find a bright side/hope to hold onto.
(edited 13 years ago)
It's like me saying, I'm going to earn a million pounds over the next 20 years, so why don't I just steal it all from my employer now?
Reply 154
Original post by BADBOY89
For criminals this is true. But surely not about the rest. :wink:

But why would you turn to suicide if not to escape the 'crippling reality' of life itself?
Original post by AshleyT
Mmm...*Shrugs*...i always try to find the bright side in everything. And i mean everything. Even when i was literally homeless at some point, i was trying to find the bright side to it, and at that point the bright side was literally 'can't get that much worse right now...'. But that was enough for me to be able to hold on.

And even if you cant make a blanket of statements - thinking it could get better (even if it wont) is better than nothing. Hope is better than nothing.

And at least with mental illness there's a little bit more you can do over physical illness...like with some of the medications, or taking people for days out to cheer them up etc. Whereas physical illnesses like cancer, if they get worse they get worse...

Idk, i dont really have experience with deterioating mental illnesses that didnt end in suicide(so i didnt get a chance to see what had really happened after deterioation). The ones who i saw were seriously mentally ill beyond proper functoning, couldnt get much worse anyway. So the only way was up.

But yeah, I think its vital to always try and find a bright side/hope to hold onto.

You're free to be as mindlessly positivistic as you like, that doesn't change reality. I was just saying, as I already explained, in answer to the statement that things will get better that they may not. Ignoring the fact that things can get worse doesn't eliminate the chance of it happening. To answer your other paragraph about beyond proper functioning - I was talking more about depression where you still have the ability to kill yourself, from there it can most definitely get to the situation you described and would I want to live 50 years like that? hell no. I don't think many people would. You mention medication without addressing the often horrendous side effects and the fact that treatment-resistant mental illness exists so medication may make things worse or may do nothing at all.

Moreover, the "only way" isn't necessarily up, there's always continued decline to even less functioning, there's always no movement either way.

Like I said, you can be as positive as you like, it doesn't change reality, and it doesn't change my very possible answer to that other poster.
Original post by wannabebrit
Why is suicide wrong? We're all going to die.some of us just want to die earlier than others. You say think of your family and friends who will be devastated if you commit suicide..will they be jumping for joy if I died a natural death?

searches for irrefutable doctrine where it is stated that suicide is wrong*
cannot find*
wonders why OP has made an issue out of non issue*
concludes OP is a newfag*
Reply 157
God said it is wrong.

/ thread
/ debate.
Reply 158
:rofl2:
Original post by AshleyT
Depends on the person tbh...for me it's super strength not to do it, and that's the same for other's too.

Yep. You can't label every situation as the same. For some, it's weak to kill themselves. For others, it's weak not to. There are two sides to the debate, and both are right, depending on the person and the circumstances. The guy before tarred everyone with the same brush, which I object to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending