The Student Room Group

Would you adopt a gay child?

Scroll to see replies

It does raise a few interesting viewpoints.

I think it's unfair for (In Lewroll's instance) to be instantly branded homophobic simply because he wants biological children/grand children (He did say he wouldn't adopt any kids, not just gay ones), plus he did say that he would still love the child anyway and be disappointed at the fact he wouldn't have grand children, not in the child itself.

I do find it a bit hard to understand myself, as whilst I really want to have children one day, I have no desire for them to be my genetic children (Which is just as well as women were never my cup of tea :tongue:) and adopting is perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned. But as I said, to brand somebody instantly homophobic because of a viewpoint they hold which isn't even specific to gay people (i.e being disappointed if your child was infertile, as well), is a bit harsh.

If, however somebody specifically says "I wouldn't adopt gay kids cos they're gay". Well yes that is very homophobic.
Reply 81
I would, even though I find the concept of a child knowing whether or not it's gay a bit odd.
Original post by AbiSmith93
I wasn't trying to hurl abuse at your in particular, I'm just kind of offended by the entire thread.

Anyway, that's not necessarily true - just because it's harder and involves doctors and sperm donors/surrogate's doesn't mean it's less likely to happen, surely? It's just harder to make it happen? A gay couple are likely to have the same wish for a child that a straight couple will have, at least IMO.

Surely you can see how it would be more likely for a straight couple to have a child. They do not have to go through any third party to do it. Again, i never said it was unlikely a gay couple will have a child, i said it was less likely.

Merry christmas one and all.
Yes, definitely. A child's sexuality wouldn't, in itself, impact my decision to adopt them in any way that I'm able to realise.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ex Death
I find it very hard to believe the people saying they would, actually would. Given a choice of hundreds upon hundreds of potential children to adopt, you're not going to say to yourself "hey, I'm feeling generous today, I think I'll give one of the gay ones a shot". You'd pick one of the 'normal' (for lack of a better term) ones. In any case, carry on deluding yourselves.

I'm not deluding myself at all. This may come as a shock, but not everyone is a bigot. I couldn't give a flying **** what sexual orientation my child is, adopted or not. Give me one good reason why I would?
Reply 85
Original post by Lewroll
Surely you can see how it would be more likely for a straight couple to have a child. They do not have to go through any third party to do it. Again, i never said it was unlikely a gay couple will have a child, i said it was less likely.

Merry christmas one and all.

Well I personally don't think they're any less likely to have a kid; if they really want to, they will. (If one guy is shooting blanks, then the other guy can donate the sperm. If one woman can't get pregnant, the other woman can. Think of it like that.)

Merry Christmas (and I'm not trying to start a fight, no matter what I'm typing).
Original post by tieyourmotherdown

I think it's unfair for (In Lewroll's instance) to be instantly branded homophobic simply because he wants biological children/grand children (He did say he wouldn't adopt any kids, not just gay ones), plus he did say that he would still love the child anyway and be disappointed at the fact he wouldn't have grand children, not in the child itself.

I do find it a bit hard to understand myself, as whilst I really want to have children one day, I have no desire for them to be my genetic children (Which is just as well as women were never my cup of tea :tongue:) and adopting is perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned. But as I said, to brand somebody instantly homophobic because of a viewpoint they hold which isn't even specific to gay people (i.e being disappointed if your child was infertile, as well), is a bit harsh.

If, however somebody specifically says "I wouldn't adopt gay kids cos they're gay". Well yes that is very homophobic.

Thank you. Finally someone who sees sense. People are so quick to shout homophobe when they see something which doesnt conform to their ideals. If only everyone on this thread thought like you.
Maybe. Depends on the child in question. It is retarded in the extreme to adopt a child based on his/her sexuality alone.
Original post by Smoosh
I would, even though I find the concept of a child knowing whether or not it's gay a bit odd.

Depends how you define 'child'. There are many many older 'children' in need of adoption and many of them will know if they fancy men or women, or both.
Reply 89
yes! :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by tieyourmotherdown

He fought debated well didn't he?
Reply 91
Children never truly understand their own sexuality until they're older.
Seeing people go through the adoption process, and being constantly heartbroken by being unable to have their own children... I think they would adopt any child. I don't think it matters whether a child is gay or straight, it still needs a family and a home.
Reply 93
Original post by ma2k5
Umm you actually do know, you just don't agree.

I said that I didn't see, not that I didn't know.
Seeing as we're obviously locked in a vicious battle of douchefaggotry and pedantry.
Original post by Lewroll
Thank you.

And before anyone asks, if i had a gay child, initially i would be disappointed, but i would probably love them too much to be angry and i'd want them to be happy. Also it would give me an excuse to have more sex with the missus, so we can make another child :biggrin:

I guess I can understand that you might be disappointed if your kid was gay for whatever reasons you had for wanting a straight kid, but I don't get why you would be angry... I know you said you'd love them too much to be angry but I don't even get who you'd be angry at in he first place. :confused:

Original post by Gemma :)!
just as I (hypothetically) had done.
Lol.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 95

I wouldn't.

And any way, what semi-notmal kid knows they are gay?!

There's no screening against these things.
Reply 96
You can't tell if a child is gay or not, but if there was some kind of way of knowing, and I had to pick between a gay and a straight children, then I would choose to adopt the straight child. I would just prefer it that way. However if I adopt some kid and then he/she turns out to be gay, I wouldn't be upset either. I prefer to have straight children, but if they turn out to be gay then oh well I wouldn't really care tbh.
Reply 97
Original post by AbiSmith93
Why?

And are you saying that because I fancy women but not men that I'm not "normal". What's "normal", anyway? (I'm actually pretty offended right now, jsyk. I'm pretty sure my parents don't think my sister is more "normal" than me cos she's straight and I'm not.)

Don't get ahead of yourself. Normal insofar as 'not gay' - seeing as the general consensus is that most people are not gay. Not being normal shouldn't be something to take offense to. Whether you choose to take offense to it or not, well that's not my problem (nor do I care); I'm just spitting out the facts.

Original post by CharlieBee_90
I'm not deluding myself at all. This may come as a shock, but not everyone is a bigot. I couldn't give a flying **** what sexual orientation my child is, adopted or not. Give me one good reason why I would?

Congratulations on being an exception (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here). Have a cookie. Too bad your entire post is futile as my post was not in reference to you but to most people in general, which I assumed was rather obviously implied.
Yes. Just because they're gay doesn't make them a different species of human... :/
Original post by Ex Death
Congratulations on being an exception (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here). Have a cookie. Too bad your entire post is futile as my post was not in reference to you but to most people in general, which I assumed was rather obviously implied.

Well actually the fact that you referred to those who said they would adopt a gay child as delusional implies quite the opposite.

But cheers :cookie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending