The Student Room Group

Complicated UCAS nightmare :-(

So my brother applied for 5 courses via UCAS in October. Then 2 weeks ago he changed his mind about what he wanted to apply for. His school told him to cancel his first application and re-apply, which is what he has done. This morning he got a letter from UCAS saying you can't apply twice so they have cancelled his second appication, meaning he now has no applications at all.

I wondered if a similar thing had happened to anyone else because he's not sure what to do :-~ Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help :-)
Reply 1
Ooh and we phoned UCAS but they are shut until 4th january :-(
oh god, phone the school maybe?
Reply 3
What your school said was ridiculously wrong. I'm afraid you can't actually do that, and they actively say that you can't do that on their website, booklets etc. Look here.
The best thing to do now is wait until UCAS open again, talk to them, and be prepared to take fast action before the deadline. Though now there is a risk that he won't make it for this year.
Whatever happens, you could try complaining to someone at the school, they should have known better.

really sorry. :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Helsy
What your school said was ridiculously wrong. I'm afraid you can't actually do that, and they actively say that you can't do that on their website, booklets etc. Look here.
The best thing to do now is wait until UCAS open again, talk to them, and be prepared to take fast action before the deadline. Though now there is a risk that he won't make it for this year.
Whatever happens, you could try complaining to someone at the school, they should have known better.

really sorry. :frown:

Eeekk okay. Thanks for your reply. Hopefully he can get it sorted on 4th.
Reply 5
Original post by TheSadReaper
oh god, phone the school maybe?

Thanks. They are shut too but hopefully they'll be open before January.
Reply 6
Maybe they'll let him apply through Extra if you beg. It's a long shot though :/
urgh, schools never seem to know what they're talking about.
My school 'forgot' to send off someones application before the vet deadline so she has to take a gap year.
Whoever told him to cancel his first application seriously screwed up.

Probably not much point contacting the school, even if it is still open, except to complain. Once you've cancelled the application I don't think there's anything the school can do to reverse it. You'll have to wait for UCAS to open again and phone them and explain what happened.

However... If they agree to reinstate an application, it will almost certainly be the first one, for the course your brother doesn't want to do any more. There is a two week deadline to substitute your choices, and since your brother sent it off in October it's long past that. If he wants to apply for a different course for 2011 entry, he'll need to decline any offers (assuming his application is reinstated) and use UCAS Extra or Clearing.
Reply 9
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Whoever told him to cancel his first application seriously screwed up.

Probably not much point contacting the school, even if it is still open, except to complain. Once you've cancelled the application I don't think there's anything the school can do to reverse it. You'll have to wait for UCAS to open again and phone them and explain what happened.

However... If they agree to reinstate an application, it will almost certainly be the first one, for the course your brother doesn't want to do any more. There is a two week deadline to substitute your choices, and since your brother sent it off in October it's long past that. If he wants to apply for a different course for 2011 entry, he'll need to decline any offers (assuming his application is reinstated) and use UCAS Extra or Clearing.

Okay thank you - that was v helpful. He wants to do computer science at the local uni and I don't think it's a v popular course so hopefully there will be a few places in clearing :-)
Reply 10
Original post by Bubbles0ox
urgh, schools never seem to know what they're talking about.
My school 'forgot' to send off someones application before the vet deadline so she has to take a gap year.

Yip it's so rubbish! The teacher told him people had done the same thing last year....obviously that was a lie :-(
Original post by grovichik
Okay thank you - that was v helpful. He wants to do computer science at the local uni and I don't think it's a v popular course so hopefully there will be a few places in clearing :-)

This page shows all courses that were in clearing this year. Obviously it might be different next year but it's worth checking.
Yip it's so rubbish! The teacher told him people had done the same thing last year....obviously that was a lie :-(

If it's been no more than two weeks since you sent off your UCAS, you can substitute any of the courses for a different one. You still only have one application though, and it's important to note the difference between 'substitute' and 'cancel' as if you cancel a choice you can't add a replacement.
Reply 13
So my brother applied for 5 courses via UCAS in October. Then 2 weeks ago he changed his mind about what he wanted to apply for. His school told him to cancel his first application and re-apply, which is what he has done. This morning he got a letter from UCAS saying you can't apply twice so they have cancelled his second appication, meaning he now has no applications at all.

I wondered if a similar thing had happened to anyone else because he's not sure what to do :-~ Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help :-)

There isn't much point in phoning the school (apart from when he wants to complain, because that is seriously wrong advice and the school should have known better.)

His best hope is to contact UCAS, tell them he cancelled his first application after his school advised him to (get them to support this. Tip: Don't complain until after they have :wink:) and hope he's speaking to someone kind who will restore his application. UCAS phones are closed until January 4th, but be prepared to act quickly after this.

The application they're likely to restore is his first one because he was after the two week grace period, so he's looking at using Extra by rejecting any offers and cancelling any individual choices that haven't replied (if he clicks on the red code next to the course on Track, at the bottom of the 'Choice Detail' page will be the option to cancel choice.) I'd advise he doesn't do this until Extra is open, to check the course he wants is in Extra.

Original post by Potally_Tissed
This page shows all courses that were in clearing this year. Obviously it might be different next year but it's worth checking.

That only shows courses that were still in Clearing at the end of it.
Reply 15
Original post by TheSownRose
There isn't much point in phoning the school (apart from when he wants to complain, because that is seriously wrong advice and the school should have known better.)

His best hope is to contact UCAS, tell them he cancelled his first application after his school advised him to (get them to support this. Tip: Don't complain until after they have :wink:) and hope he's speaking to someone kind who will restore his application. UCAS phones are closed until January 4th, but be prepared to act quickly after this.

The application they're likely to restore is his first one because he was after the two week grace period, so he's looking at using Extra by rejecting any offers and cancelling any individual choices that haven't replied (if he clicks on the red code next to the course on Track, at the bottom of the 'Choice Detail' page will be the option to cancel choice.) I'd advise he doesn't do this until Extra is open, to check the course he wants is in Extra.

That only shows courses that were still in Clearing at the end of it.

Thanks for the reply - v helpful :-)
Hopefully he can still apply through UCAS Etra (and send an alternative PS for his new course choice) or go through clearing. If worst comes to worst maybe even get in touch with some unis and see if they will consider him??
I don't want to sound mean or anything, but how on Earth do these things even happen?! Fine, the advisor at school has no idea what he's talking about, but didn't your brother do any research before jumping into a new application? Just blindly followed the advice? I mean, the warning that you can complete only one application and any subsequent ones will be cancelled without refund is on the Register/Log in to Apply page a mere 5mm below the login link.

There's a lot of good advice on this thread already and I do hope that despite his mistake he gets a second chance at applying and going to university in 2011.
Reply 18
Original post by Peregrinum
I don't want to sound mean or anything, but how on Earth do these things even happen?! Fine, the advisor at school has no idea what he's talking about, but didn't your brother do any research before jumping into a new application? Just blindly followed the advice? I mean, the warning that you can complete only one application and any subsequent ones will be cancelled without refund is on the Register/Log in to Apply page a mere 5mm below the login link.

There's a lot of good advice on this thread already and I do hope that despite his mistake he gets a second chance at applying and going to university in 2011.

Thanks...hopefully...I think he just trusted his teachers a bit too much :-(
Unfortunately I can't really offer any advice, hopefully UCAS can reactivate the original application and reset the two week deadline to change courses from that date, allowing him to do what he should have done originally.
I strongly suggest you make a formal complaint about whoever gave that advice though. That could have had, (and still might have), very serious implications for your brother, particularly with the increase in tution fees if he has to reapply next year, that mistake could cost him up to £17,000 extra.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending