The Student Room Group

Online relationships sad?

Basically, I have an internet friend who lives in America (and I live in England), we talk quite a lot over facebook and get on well. I've never met him in real life but I've seen what he looks like. I've known him online for about 5 years I think.

He asked me out :\ and I don't know what to say. I'll never meet him irl. But I sort of want to say yes. I'm just worried, are online relationships strange and sad? I'm worried people on facebook will see I'm in a relationship and see he lives in a diff country and think I'm sad and can't get anyone else.

Arghhhhhh. lol be honest, don't spare my feelings. Btw I'm 16 and he is 17.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's sad to go out with some you'll never meet, yes.
I dunno. I used to think so, but I guess if you really like someone, then... give it a go? :dontknow:
Reply 3
You probably don't wanna answer this, but do you actually know anyone who has met him/are you sure he's really a 17 year old..
I dunno. I'm kind of on the fence really. If you are sure you will never see him then yes its a bit sad. But for example, I have a friend who sees her boyfriend maybe once every 6 months, he is in America at Uni and she is in England at Uni. And their relationship is great, he proposed to her, and they are planning to get married after Uni. They've been together for over 5 years and basically leave Skype on their computers so they can see their everyday stuff.
Reply 5
I wouldn't do it. Save it for someone you have a chance of physically interacting with :smile:
Reply 6
Isn't it kinda irrational to ask someone out you will never meet?

That being said, what's the problem? When you're 18 (21?) you can get married. Until then I guess you will have to rely on chat, phone and occasional visits (if possible).

However, being in a relationship with someone you have never met is, uhm, not very practical, is it? I wouldn't say it's sad itself, but it's sad that you're missing the physical part.
Reply 7
I don't think you should say yes, purely because you have no idea whether there would be any 'spark' irl and that's the thing that makes people fancy each other. Tbh, the fact that you're asking this probably means you don't want to 'go out' with him.

Having said that, it's not sad to be in a relationship with someone you met online or who lives in a different country, but you really shouldn't start anything without meeting first.
Reply 8
If you'll never meet him, there's really no point whatsoever.
Reply 9
I guess its OK? I know a friend who was in a similiar situation as you and eventually got engaged years later.
Reply 10
Your only 16 bloody hell just wait a while. And anyway, if you do say yes then why would you expose yourself to your fb friends lol its like your asking for it.
You can't really have a good relationship over the internet but HEY THERE'S STILL CYBER SEX
Reply 12
It's not sad at all.

ETA: IF you are going to meet him. If you're not then it's perhaps not sad, but it is pointless.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Profesh
If you'll never meet him, there's really no point whatsoever.

I thought about saying that, but then decided that there actually is some point in the short term (e.g. companionship, interest). Although yes if you never meet, then it's hard for the relationship to grow long term into anything other than friendship...which would question the need for you to be going out in the first place.

I'm not actually sure why I'm trying to give advice anyway, it's not like I have any expertise in this area.
A: he's not 17 he more like 40+
B: if you're never going to meet then it won't bE a relationship
Original post by badgerkins

Original post by badgerkins
I guess its OK? I know a friend who was in a similiar situation as you and eventually got engaged years later.

Are they getting married over Skype?
Yes, very... get out into the real world.
Reply 17
dont become fb friends with people u havent met.
u can go out with a boy in your school.
yes the guy sounds weird.
Darling, I think you need to get out more, there is no excuse for such, what exactly is the point ? This sounds like something out of a sick documentary or crimewatch. I can't fathom how exactly one would want to enter such a relationship, online? really? are times really that hard.

How exactly would that relationship work? What next ? skype dates where you both sit in front of a webcam eating and chatting with the same movie in the background :s-smilie:

This is weird and extremely sad , join mysinglefriend or match.com or something. He could be ANYONE, online people only project the image they want.
Reply 19
Original post by Panda Bear
Are they getting married over Skype?

I know she didn't get pregnant over it :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending