The Student Room Group

Tubular breasts: how should I proceed?

Anon or delete for obvious reasons.

I have tubular breasts.
If you don't know what this means, do a Google search.

In terms of how it affects me and how I feel about them, I have okay days and bad days. Today is a bad day where I feel really upset about them and am thinking about surgery.
I know the NHS sometimes pay for correction when they have a major psychological impact, but honestly, I don't know if the impact on me is all that "severe". It's just the way my mind works that I don't generally get upset about stuff that I can't change. If the surgery isn't available to me, yeah I'll be upset, but I'll get over it because I'll have to. Like when someone dies.

Spoiler

As for what men think, well my current bf is fine with them. That's really not the issue that bothers me. It's a question of self confidence and how I feel as a woman, if that isn't too droll a phrase.

So in order to get surgery, should I be candid with a GP about my attitude? Or just focus on how thoroughly awful it makes me feel? How likely is it that I would get approval? (Paying for it is not an option.)
Because I definitely do want the surgery if I can get it. I have thought this through properly, I'm 20, have known the name of my condition since I was 15, and been set on getting the surgery if possible for about 3 years now. It's not like I'd be doing this on a whim or something.
It's not like I've been corrupted by "the media" either and want perfect and big boobs. I understand that there are many different shapes and sizes. I just want them to be within normal parameters, and as long as they are, I'm really not massively fussy how they turn out. The only thing I do care about actually is that they don't get made significantly bigger.

Okay, don't bother to post on this thread if you're going to say some bull**** like "Everyone is different, I'm sure they look fine and they're normal" simply because you are factually incorrect. Tubular breasts are recognised as a congenital deformity. Do some research as to how and why they form the way they do and you will come to understand why they are not, in strict medical terms, normal (aesthetics aside). If you cba: it involes constricted tissues and similar fun stuff; genuinely abnormal breast development.
Lying to me won't make me feel better, so don't bother spamming up my thread with lies. Thanks.

If anyone here has had the surgery or has the same problem, and has something to share about it, that would be great.
What happens when you see a GP about this?
Do you have to go for counselling? Because honestly the last time I had counselling I felt like I'd need counselling to get over the counselling, lol. :p: Yeah but seriously... I hated every second of it and don't want to end up going through that again unless I'm going to get something out of it.

Sorry this was so long!
Reply 1
you wont get plastic surgery on the NHS, not for cosmetic reasons anyways.
Original post by logic123

I personally know someone who had breast enhancement on the NHS.

OP go to your GP and see what she/he says.
Original post by Anonymous

I have tubular breasts.

In terms of how it affects me and how I feel about them, I have okay days and bad days. Today is a bad day where I feel really upset about them and am thinking about surgery.
I know the NHS sometimes pay for correction when they have a major psychological impact, but honestly, I don't know if the impact on me is all that "severe". It's just the way my mind works that I don't generally get upset about stuff that I can't change. If the surgery isn't available to me, yeah I'll be upset, but I'll get over it because I'll have to. Like when someone dies.

Spoiler

As for what men think, well my current bf is fine with them. That's really not the issue that bothers me. It's a question of self confidence and how I feel as a woman, if that isn't too droll a phrase.

So in order to get surgery, should I be candid with a GP about my attitude? Or just focus on how thoroughly awful it makes me feel? How likely is it that I would get approval? (Paying for it is not an option.)
Because I definitely do want the surgery if I can get it. I have thought this through properly, I'm 20, have known the name of my condition since I was 15, and been set on getting the surgery if possible for about 3 years now. It's not like I'd be doing this on a whim or something.
It's not like I've been corrupted by "the media" either and want perfect and big boobs. I understand that there are many different shapes and sizes. I just want them to be within normal parameters, and as long as they are, I'm really not massively fussy how they turn out. The only thing I do care about actually is that they don't get made significantly bigger.

Okay, don't bother to post on this thread if you're going to say some bull**** like "Everyone is different, I'm sure they look fine and they're normal" simply because you are factually incorrect. Tubular breasts are recognised as a congenital deformity. Do some research as to how and why they form the way they do and you will come to understand why they are not, in strict medical terms, normal (aesthetics aside). If you cba: it involes constricted tissues and similar fun stuff; genuinely abnormal breast development.
Lying to me won't make me feel better, so don't bother spamming up my thread with lies. Thanks.

If anyone here has had the surgery or has the same problem, and has something to share about it, that would be great.
Do you have to go for counselling? Because honestly the last time I had counselling I felt like I'd need counselling to get over the counselling, lol. :p: Yeah but seriously... I hated every second of it and don't want to end up going through that again unless I'm going to get something out of it.

Sorry this was so long!

I know you said not to spout bullsh!t but I'm gonna say this anyway coz I ain't bullsh!tting....
I think you really need to get over yourself. I just googled it and unless it was the EXTREME picture I saw, that's kind of how breasts look because breasts come in all shapes and sizes (it's an idiom for a reason honey).
We all have 'imperfections' that make us feel self concious but if EVERY person went to the NHS expecting their 'imperfection' to be fixed then the country would go bankrupt.
The way I see it- your boyfriend doesn't mind it, therefore there isn't an issue. Perhaps if your boyfriend couldn't get turned on because of them, then you'd have an issue and might want to consider getting it changed but otherwise I think it's a complete waste of money.
You're probably gonna neg rep me for this but please don't as I'm being completely honest. I posted anon but I'm a seventeen year old girl if you were wondering lol.
I know you said not to spout bullsh!t but I'm gonna say this anyway coz I ain't bullsh!tting....
I think you really need to get over yourself. I just googled it and unless it was the EXTREME picture I saw, that's kind of how breasts look because breasts come in all shapes and sizes (it's an idiom for a reason honey).
We all have 'imperfections' that make us feel self concious but if EVERY person went to the NHS expecting their 'imperfection' to be fixed then the country would go bankrupt.
The way I see it- your boyfriend doesn't mind it, therefore there isn't an issue. Perhaps if your boyfriend couldn't get turned on because of them, then you'd have an issue and might want to consider getting it changed but otherwise I think it's a complete waste of money.
You're probably gonna neg rep me for this but please don't as I'm being completely honest. I posted anon but I'm a seventeen year old girl if you were wondering lol.

I completely agree. Apart from the extreme ones searched on Google, they don't appear to look that bad. Tits come in all shapes and sizes, and that is the beauty of them. I've seen and felt some that are rock hard, some that are like bags of sand, some that are massive fat tits, and some that are floppy and bouncy. Tits are just great.

What is your body shape? If you are thin then it won't look bad at all.
Reply 5
If you try to have treatment on psychological grounds then you will have to undergo some pretty rigourous psychological interrogation first, and most likely again after surgery. I think even then the doctor has to agree that your breasts are physically not normal in appearance (bear in mind 'normal' is a very large spectrum).
Reply 6
Love yourself I'm there is someone who likes those sort of breast.
Hey :-) you might be able to get plastic surgery n the nhs.

I have assymetrical breasts and went to my GP about it (Don't say that you are self -conscience about other things- i know it sounds bad but say what they want to hear - ie. you wouldn't change anything else on your body etc.). Even though there is a difference of 2 sizes my first application got denied, but you can request do have it relooked. The plastic surgeon doesn't know why I got denied and he is supporting my new appeal.

I would advise you accept the counselling offer (so they cant deny you because you are not emotionally stable) and good luck :-) xxx
Original post by logic123

It's not cosmetic - it's a congenital deformity.

I have the same problem OP; and while consultants have said that I should be able to get correction on the NHS (for the above reason), it's unlikely that this will happen. I do advise you to try though - make the best case you can for why you should have it done. Good luck!

I have tubular breasts.

Spoiler

Sorry this was so long!

Sorry to bump but just wondering what happened in the end? Did you go to your GP and what did they say? I've got tubular breasts and desperately need an uplift and areola reduction, and my mum's agreed to pay as a last resort but we really can't afford it and I'm hoping I can get it done on the NHS.
Sorry to bump but just wondering what happened in the end? Did you go to your GP and what did they say? I've got tubular breasts and desperately need an uplift and areola reduction, and my mum's agreed to pay as a last resort but we really can't afford it and I'm hoping I can get it done on the NHS.

Oh hi! Seems so long ago I posted this up.

Yeah, my GP wasn't much help in the end. So I decided to get it done privately and went the whole hog by getting some huuge jugoombies put in. :biggrin:
Oh hi! Seems so long ago I posted this up.

Yeah, my GP wasn't much help in the end. So I decided to get it done privately and went the whole hog by getting some huuge jugoombies put in. :biggrin:

Aw wow good for you!! Sure they look gorgeous :smile:
Just out of interest, what did the GP say? That the problem wasn't severe enough?

Quick Reply

Latest