The Student Room Group

The bullying argument against gay adoption...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
mate i'm on xmas hols i have to write essays at uni already i really can't be asked to write one now. Just that IN MY OPINION gay adoption shouldn't happen. :cool:
Original post by jus-mi
mate i'm on xmas hols i have to write essays at uni already i really can't be asked to write one now. Just that IN MY OPINION gay adoption shouldn't happen. :cool:

thank you for your most valuable contribution to this discussion!
Original post by Wednesday Bass
By definition, you can't. To normalise a group of people, you treat them the same as the rest of society. To withhold something from gays means you cannot normalise homosexuality because you are treating them differently.

To normalise implies that there are steps to take before reaching normality, are you telling me that the only way that homosexuality will reach normality in society is by society accepting gay adoption? All I'm saying is that there are other steps to take before society as a whole can accept gay adoption. This very thread amongst others ironically shows that homosexuality is not accepted as normality, yet.

Well I really didn't want to stray from the topic at hand, which is 'The bullying argument against gay adoption...' specifically.

Yes bullying will still exist regardless of race/sexual preference/weight/etc... but why give people more ammunition to bully? But I personally differ from your opinion that a parent or parents lifestyle choice can't be a direct cause of bullying.
Likewise, would you like to show me how same sex couples adopting couldn't possibly directly be the cause of bullying?

But we do know for a fact that there is a lot of prejudice surrounding homosexuality, I don't need to find any evidence to support that statement. To prove or disprove your sentence in bold we would effectively be using children as guinea pigs. I wasn't providing a factual argument in any sense.
My argument is simply an opinion, a counter-opinion to your opinion that -

We could go round countering each other for ever here. Everything you just presented could be flipped starting with "I'm explaining that you can't claim that kids aren't bullied as a result of homosexuality".
Original post by misscharli
I would love to have 2 gay dads

In place of your mother? How mean! Unless you were thinking of your mother, father, and a third man?
Our everyday life is underlined by these concepts. Even if you were in a group of friends that were totally queer or something, gender would still be at the root of things. You wouldn't even be able to talk to someone without referring to them as a he, or a she, or gay or straight or whatever. Who you're attracted to in your group of friends would be determined by your gender. The names you call each other are gendered, as is the way you dress. And even if you tried your hardest to disregard gender- by replacing 'he' or 'she' with a unisex word, by wearing unisex clothes, by all being pansexual- the fact that you're trying so hard to disregard it means that you're still holding it at the centre of what you do.
Original post by anti-duck
My argument is simply an opinion, a counter-opinion to your opinion that -

We could go round countering each other for ever here. Everything you just presented could be flipped starting with "I'm explaining that you can't claim that kids aren't bullied as a result of homosexuality".

Burden of proof is on you, bro. I might as well say 'you can't prove that having long fingernails isn't a cause of bullying' or something.
By the way, it should be pointed out (for the sake of the debate going on up above) that at my school there were two kids who had lesbian or gay parents. One of them got mild bullying for it (It wasn't really serious, just somebody shouting out "OI AV' U GOT TWO DADS??"), however he was bullied before that for virtually everything, so the bullying didn't start because of his parents. The other one however, never got bullied once for it, despite the fact it was common knowledge that his parents were lesbian.

It basically goes to show that it's not gay parents which cause bullying, but they can add to the bullying of those who are already bullied (If that makes any sense whatsoever). Now, I know it's only one example and you can't generalize at all (However it was at an all boys state school where, if homophobic bullying is going to develop anywhere, it's there), but it does go some way to prove that having gay parents doesn't necessarily cause bullying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending