The Student Room Group

Ever had a shocking moment to do with an offer?

Scroll to see replies

Having an amazing interview at Manchester, much longer than anyone elses- getting along awesome with professor...he told me that he was going recommend BBC, which I was pleased with as I applied for it to be my insurance.

Few days later, I get an offer of ABB- bye bye insurance!
Reply 41
I have two:

1) First time I applied, and my Firm was Japanese at SOAS. I got an offer of BBB/ABC. Results day came around, I got ABC, and they rejected me. I called up and begged and everything but I wasn't getting anywhere. So irritating.

2) Second time around I applied through UCAS Extra, to 5 courses. The one I really wanted was Manchester though, and they had until some date in June to give me an offer. Anyway, they decided to make me an offer ON that date. They had me sweating...

Do those stories count? I assume they're the sort of thing you were after...
Reply 42
Original post by clairelou92
I applied to Bangor for my insurance place, because they stated they only wanted BBB and im predicted A*AA

But then they gave me an offer for AAB, so now i have no insurance place :biggrin: Isn't life just great....

I got a higher than normal offer from Bangor too (and I'm also predicted A*AA) but in the email they sent it said that I would not be disadvantaged by having a higher offer - are you sure they didn't say this to you as well? I'm still putting Bangor down as my insurance.

My most shocking moment was that UCAS emailed me at 3.45am saying my track had changed (for an Exeter offer). Rather boring, but it's the best I've got :biggrin:
Got a phone call from Northampton the eveing after my interview saying they really liked me and i came top so were making me an offer....i have a sneaky suspicion that i wasn't the only one they rang though...ahh well, i felt very good about myself for a magical few minutes :smile:
Original post by mimimimi
I have two:

1) First time I applied, and my Firm was Japanese at SOAS. I got an offer of BBB/ABC. Results day came around, I got ABC, and they rejected me. I called up and begged and everything but I wasn't getting anywhere. So irritating.

2) Second time around I applied through UCAS Extra, to 5 courses. The one I really wanted was Manchester though, and they had until some date in June to give me an offer. Anyway, they decided to make me an offer ON that date. They had me sweating...

Do those stories count? I assume they're the sort of thing you were after...

Wait, what? They actually made you an offer so that it showed up on UCAS as something like "Obtain grades BBB or ABC in A-levels" ... and then, when you did, refused to accept you?
I got a phone call during church (so went through to voicemail) about my Oxford offer - tutor rang because of the snow! :awesome: I was SO excited when I listened to it and found out!!
Reply 46
Last year I applied to Cambridge despite being told by Cambridge reps that I had no chance because of my grades. Anyway, I logged on hotmail sometime towards the end of November to send myself some work and I found this e-mail asking why I was yet to complete my SAQ and that they would like to interview me. I was just staring at it for ages in total disbelief. Then I thought it was someone taking the piss so I phoned them up asking what an SAQ was and they confirmed that I had an interview and advised me to hurry up. I only found out when my interview was the evening before because my e-mails weren't receiving all they should so I flopped bad, but I was still amazed to have had an interview considering my grades.
Just getting the offer was shocking enough, tbh...
Original post by Topaz_eyes
Just getting the offer was shocking enough, tbh...

Do you find it ironic and amusing that Rutherford's Nobel Prize is in chemistry?
Reply 49
Original post by TheSownRose
Wait, what? They actually made you an offer so that it showed up on UCAS as something like "Obtain grades BBB or ABC in A-levels" ... and then, when you did, refused to accept you?

Yep. The OP asked for shocking! I was gutted. They told me 'most years you would have been fine, but we were really oversubscribed for Japanese this year...'

I didn't want to mess up my plans too much, so went to SOAS anyway, to study Linguistics, though upon arrival changed my course to Chinese... After a couple of weeks I realised Chinese was way too difficult considering how little passion I had for it (basically it just wasn't Japanese :p:) and changed to Art History & Archaeology for the hell of it. I did manage to get 68% after not really caring, but decided I had no idea what I'd do with that degree and left.

I almost forgot how complicated my year at SOAS was! I should have just taken a gap year really...
Reply 50
With DDDU at AS and BCEbc predicted grades. I got an AAB and an ABB offer.
Having a lowered offer from Exeter was nice, especially since it's my top choice and I have leeway to cock up my History exam now :biggrin:

Was shocked to have offers from my two LNAT unis too since I thought the test went terribly!
Yep. The OP asked for shocking! I was gutted. They told me 'most years you would have been fine, but we were really oversubscribed for Japanese this year...'

I didn't want to mess up my plans too much, so went to SOAS anyway, to study Linguistics, though upon arrival changed my course to Chinese... After a couple of weeks I realised Chinese was way too difficult considering how little passion I had for it (basically it just wasn't Japanese :p:) and changed to Art History & Archaeology for the hell of it. I did manage to get 68% after not really caring, but decided I had no idea what I'd do with that degree and left.

I almost forgot how complicated my year at SOAS was! I should have just taken a gap year really...

I hate to tell you this now, but they deceived you, probably because they were oversubscribed and wanted to avoid a fine. If you actually achieved the offer as it appeared on UCAS, they were obliged to take you; they can request you take a gap year, but can't make you do this either.

I have heard of unis doing this before - contacting people and telling them that in the hope that some 'bite', as it were, and accept it. :frown:
Reply 53
I got an offer through less than 24 hours after I sent my application i rang them up to double check. Best day ever!
Reply 54
I hate to tell you this now, but they deceived you, probably because they were oversubscribed and wanted to avoid a fine. If you actually achieved the offer as it appeared on UCAS, they were obliged to take you; they can request you take a gap year, but can't make you do this either.

I have heard of unis doing this before - contacting people and telling them that in the hope that some 'bite', as it were, and accept it. :frown:

Oh yeah, I know. Don't worry. I should have really gone to see the Japanese dept. when I arrived and begged for them to let me in, I think they probably would have, but by that point my heart wasn't really in it.

The course I'm on now is one I initially applied for in that year, so my only regret is that I'm not in the year above on this exact same course really. I quickly realised SOAS wasn't for me as well, but I guess I'll never know whether a better course would have kept me there...
Do you find it ironic and amusing that Rutherford's Nobel Prize is in chemistry?

Well, Chemistry is just physics with a bit of cooking :wink:
My boyfriend originally applied for BMus Creative Music Technology for 2010 entry. He received a call from one of his universities, Huddersfield, from an admissions tutor who had read through his application and suggested that he'd be better suited to studying their other course BA Music Technology and Popular Music. The tutor advised that the course would be better suited to his want to be a Producer.

I couldn’t believe it when I received my offer from Manchester. The School of Law were so anti-Media Studies (there was literally a slide on the presentation with the words ‘We do not accept Media Studies as an A Level in the School of Law’) so as I was applying with Print-Based Media and a BTEC of all qualifications, I thought there was no hope. I applied anyway and after Leeds rejected me I didn’t expect anything other than a rejection from Manchester. I’m so happy to have received an offer, eee!
Oh yeah, I know. Don't worry. I should have really gone to see the Japanese dept. when I arrived and begged for them to let me in, I think they probably would have, but by that point my heart wasn't really in it.

The course I'm on now is one I initially applied for in that year, so my only regret is that I'm not in the year above on this exact same course really. I quickly realised SOAS wasn't for me as well, but I guess I'll never know whether a better course would have kept me there...

I'm pleased it doesn't bother you and that you like it at Manchester (and St Petersburg is lovely - enjoying it there?) ... but the gall of unis to do this to people, because this isn't the first one I've come across, always pisses me off when I hear it.

Also, I would put money that they selectively choose people that they think won't know as much about university admissions and won't have as good access to information - people from schools that don't send many people to uni or without a family history of uni attendance, for example. They wouldn't try it with Tarquin the Eton leaver, because they know he'll either have been fully informed or, if he is doubtful, just go and ask his tutors or his parents, who will tell him it's bull****. No, they'll do it with the person at the inner London school that sends a handful of students to uni per year, thinking they can bamboozle them into just accepting it. :mad:

Sorry for the rant. It just really upsets me when people are taken advantage of. You may or may not fit my theory, I don't know, but they did cheat you of a place you deserved. Did you know then that they couldn't reject you and accepted it for some reason (if so, why did you?) or discover it later?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 58
I'm pleased it doesn't bother you and that you like it at Manchester (and St Petersburg is lovely - enjoying it there?) ... but the gall of unis to do this to people, because this isn't the first one I've come across, always pisses me off when I hear it.

Also, I would put money that they selectively choose people that they think won't know as much about university admissions and won't have as good access to information - people from schools that don't send many people to uni or without a family history of uni attendance, for example. They wouldn't try it with Tarquin the Eton leaver, because they know he'll either have been fully informed or, if he is doubtful, just go and ask his tutors or his parents, who will tell him it's bull****. No, they'll do it with the person at the inner London school that sends a handful of students to uni per year, thinking they can bamboozle them into just accepting it. :mad:

Sorry for the rant. It just really upsets me when people are taken advantage of. You may or may not fit my theory, I don't know, but they did cheat you of a place you deserved. Did you know then that they couldn't reject you and accepted it for some reason (if so, why did you?) or discover it later?

Yes I'm loving Saint Petersburg thanks :biggrin: And yes, I've heard of it happening to other people as well. I think it may have happened to a couple of other people at SOAS too, but my memory is a bit rubbish so I can't give any examples I'm afraid.

I don't know about your theory that the university specifically chose people from backgrounds like the examples you gave or not. I'd prefer to think they just went for the students with the lower grades or less respected A Levels (then again you could argue that the majority of A Levels on offer at my inner-city crappy sixth form college weren't respected)... I was mostly annoyed as I'd been expecting ABC all along, I was never aiming for BBB :frown:

I'd say I sort of do fit your theory, since I got the best A Level results in my entire year at my college, which had really poor performance (though I'd never change a thing, I had so much fun there and the teachers were all absolutely lovely) and was in the city, and I can only recall 3 other people planning to go to uni in my year... They were pretty clueless about UCAS applications as well.

By that point, I was just desperate to leave my home town. I didn't really care what course I'd got in for (Linguistics by that point) and just wanted to get out and move to London. Trust me, I knew what they'd done was wrong and I did call them up several times to try and convince them otherwise, but as I said by the time I got there I'd pretty much given up on studying Japanese and just settled for whatever would get me through the year with minimal effort... I didn't discover anything else later, and once I'd got to SOAS I realised all the admin and everything was a total nightmare so I understood pretty quickly that it'd be easy for a mix up to occur...
Reply 59
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Well this isn't about me, but thought I'd mention it anyway

I have a friend that applied to do veterinary medicine last year, and got all four rejections so I thought to myself, ahh good, someone to hang out with this year since we both got all four rejections for the course we wanted to do
However on results day, Liverpool uni rang him up on his mobile and gave him a place should he want it
Needless to say he's at liverpool, and I'm dead jealous they did that for him :rolleyes:
He was pleased to say the least though...

You have excellent GCSEs, A-levels and a very good UKCAT score and got rejected by 2 of your choices? Wow, that sure leaves a lot of hope for the rest of us...

*Sorry, slightly of topic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending