The Student Room Group

Ever had a shocking moment to do with an offer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I got good offers from my first, second and third choices which obviously I was ridiculously happy about.

A few weeks later my insurance rejected me and I have no idea why.
Original post by +epic
Just because I need something to entertain me, was wondering who has had some really shocking circumstances around offers....list anything!

Like a reeeally high or low offer, an offer at 11:15pm or someone ring you up especially to tell you they were giving you an offer or something. Anything!

Mine would be last time I applied 2 years ago when I was predicted AAA and was applying for Architecture. I had applied to Newcastle (who give out AAA offers) and they rung my mobile when I was in the middle of a lecture at college to tell me not only were they giving me an offer, they were lowering it to BBB :s-smilie: and considering its such a competitive course to get into....i was pretty shocked.

Needless to say I firmed another uni I preffered, ended up messing up my exams, got BBB, went into clearing, got into UWE, went to study there, decided I didnt want to do architecture and now here I am now reapplying for marketing management! isnt life FUNNY like that...

Well I originally applied in my application for international business/management/business management. I applied to CASS business school, and on their website it clearly said they required gcse maths grade B which I had. So I applied and 7 days later I got rejected. I emailed them asking for feedback why , and they said because I didnt have gcse maths grade A. I was like wuuuuuut and my head of year rang them up ,and I screenshotted the website as proof, and all they could say was ''sorry , you still wont get an offer, bye'' . Luckily UCAS let me have another offer and as I only had that day to decide, I took a wild card and applied to Newcastle for AAB.I got an offer! But declined it cos I knew I would never get AAB just wanted to prove to myself they wanted me :tongue:
Reply 62
Original post by +epic
Just because I need something to entertain me, was wondering who has had some really shocking circumstances around offers....list anything!

Like a reeeally high or low offer, an offer at 11:15pm or someone ring you up especially to tell you they were giving you an offer or something. Anything!

Mine would be last time I applied 2 years ago when I was predicted AAA and was applying for Architecture. I had applied to Newcastle (who give out AAA offers) and they rung my mobile when I was in the middle of a lecture at college to tell me not only were they giving me an offer, they were lowering it to BBB :s-smilie: and considering its such a competitive course to get into....i was pretty shocked.

Needless to say I firmed another uni I preffered, ended up messing up my exams, got BBB, went into clearing, got into UWE, went to study there, decided I didnt want to do architecture and now here I am now reapplying for marketing management! isnt life FUNNY like that...

wow, what a journey you've been on!

by the way, how are you sure that marketing management is right for you?
Not overly shocking but I'm predicted ACC but got a ABB offer, which I was very shocked about, I thought I wouldn't even be considered.
Reply 64
Original post by hayheyley
I got a higher than normal offer from Bangor too (and I'm also predicted A*AA) but in the email they sent it said that I would not be disadvantaged by having a higher offer - are you sure they didn't say this to you as well? I'm still putting Bangor down as my insurance.

My most shocking moment was that UCAS emailed me at 3.45am saying my track had changed (for an Exeter offer). Rather boring, but it's the best I've got :biggrin:

Just saw your sig, you STILL haven't heard? Try checking in UCAS, I know a couple of hughies who have got theirs updated.
Reply 65
Original post by Noodlzzz
Just saw your sig, you STILL haven't heard? Try checking in UCAS, I know a couple of hughies who have got theirs updated.

Genuinely still haven't heard :frown: Yeah I saw on the offer holders' thread that Track is being updated for some, but not me... I'm checking every 5 mins! Hugh's admissions reopens tomorrow though so I'll be ringing first thing.
I got a higher than normal offer from Bangor too (and I'm also predicted A*AA) but in the email they sent it said that I would not be disadvantaged by having a higher offer - are you sure they didn't say this to you as well? I'm still putting Bangor down as my insurance.

So your in the same position as me :redface:

I emailed them a few weeks ago and they also said that im not disadvantaged by having a higher off, so its not so bad :smile:

I have already replied to my uni offers and Bangor is my insurance place, so is Bangor definitely going to be your insurance place for Psychology???
I got into my firm. I found that quite shocking. Still kinda do. When they said so over the phone, I kept going "Seriously?" Then I decided I'd imagined it all until it finally came up on UCAS :biggrin:
Reply 68
Original post by clairelou92
So your in the same position as me :redface:

I emailed them a few weeks ago and they also said that im not disadvantaged by having a higher off, so its not so bad :smile:

I have already replied to my uni offers and Bangor is my insurance place, so is Bangor definitely going to be your insurance place for Psychology???

Oh right, what's your firm and what course? Bangor will definitely be my insurance unless by some miracle I get an AAB offer from St Andrews or Bristol. I haven't seen it yet though so I hope I like it! Going on an open day in Feb :smile:
Reply 69
I was pretty surprised to get 5 offers including a really low offer from Bangor for Modern Languages so it will be my insurance.
Oh right, what's your firm and what course? Bangor will definitely be my insurance unless by some miracle I get an AAB offer from St Andrews or Bristol. I haven't seen it yet though so I hope I like it! Going on an open day in Feb :smile:

My firm is the University of Birmingham for AAB for Psychology

I have not seen Bangor university before either :s-smilie: but i don't think im going to bother going to an open day there, because i really want to go to Birmingham and Bangor is just if i mess up badly :redface:
Reply 71
Original post by mackemforever
Not shocking but a bit unusual.

During 6th form I had my heart set on Warwick and I applied for two different courses. Despite being predicted AAAA and having lots of stuff on my application from outside of academia, I got rejected from both courses without an interview. My 3 other choices made me an offer, including Lancaster for AAB.
I withdrew my application for the year due to the Warwick rejections and took a gap year. In the end I got ABB and knew that Warwick was definitely out but applied again anyway. As you would expect they rejected me, however what took me by surprise was that Lancaster made me an unconditional offer despite me rejecting them the year before AND failing to even meet their offer from the year before.

The next surprising thing happened a couple of days later when I got a hand written letter from the head of admissions congratulating me on my offer and saying that it was one of the bravest applications he had seen for a long time. The reason he thought it was brave, my personal statement was, to quote everybody that had given me feedback on it, "bat**** crazy". I still remember the opening line. "I'll be the first to admit that I have always been a pretty awful student."

He said it was the first personal statement he had read that year which didn't stick to the standard personal statement formula.

Out of curiosity, is there any chance of you putting you ps/some more of your ps up? I'd be really interested to read it, and I'm sure lots of other people would be too.

(Sorry for being off topic)
Reply 72
Original post by .Scout.
When Manchester gave me an offer, and then took it away from me a week later. Pah, didn't want to go there anyway...!

Can they do that?!
I was so worried that they were going to do this to me when i got an offer a couple of weeks ago which I really wasn't expecting, but everyone told me that they couldn't take it away once I had received it.....but if they can....I'm panicking now!
When I got an email from UCAS saying track had updated which confused me as I'd received all of my offers back so wasn't waiting on anyone. Logged into track to find out one of my choices had lowered their offer to me after I'd attended the open day a couple of days before :biggrin:
It might not be so entertaing or shocking, but I received my first offer in December of this year, having started applying to uni in October 09 :colonhash:

first application cycle ended in 4 rejections, and haven't had any other offers this year apart from the one for Biochemistry, which is my insurance type of thing. :teehee:
Reply 75
Original post by -kit-kat-
Can they do that?!
I was so worried that they were going to do this to me when i got an offer a couple of weeks ago which I really wasn't expecting, but everyone told me that they couldn't take it away once I had received it.....but if they can....I'm panicking now!

Well, they said they made a mistake in giving me an offer :| . I already had my A Level results and was retaking a few modules to bump up my grades in my gap year. They rang me up to ask if I was a retake student and when I said yes they were like 'oh.....' and the next thing I knew, my offer was gone...! ****s.
Reply 76
Original post by .Scout.
Well, they said they made a mistake in giving me an offer :| . I already had my A Level results and was retaking a few modules to bump up my grades in my gap year. They rang me up to ask if I was a retake student and when I said yes they were like 'oh.....' and the next thing I knew, my offer was gone...! ****s.

NOOOOO I'm retaking too! I cant loose that offer! argghhhhh
Reply 77
Original post by -kit-kat-
NOOOOO I'm retaking too! I cant loose that offer! argghhhhh

You'll be fine. If they've actually given you an offer then don't worry. I guess its just rare that they make mistakes when giving offers, I must just be unlucky...!
I don't know why they didn't know I was retaking though as I made it verrrry clear on both my UCAS and Personal Statement! Oh well.
Reply 78
just wondering... if you've already firmed and insured a conditional offer can they still change them??
Reply 79
on track queens belfast applications are next to each other, I applied there to medicine and my backup of medchem, opened up track one day and seen conditional but forgot that I had ever applied to medchem (because I dont want to study it, ill just use it as a grad route into med if the worst comes to worst) I was completely under the illusion that I had a place to medicine and near cried I was so happy (as its my dream and I hadnt heard anything else from other places until then) shouted out to my parents and before I had realised my mistake they had phoned the obligatory grandparents and older siblings in their own excitement. Imagine my tone of voice when I had to correct family members when they rang up to congratulate me (grandparents told my aunt and from there it spread).

Everyone thought I was an imbasil (I come across very daft and although grades paint a different picture realatives jokingly like to patronise me) The embaressment at my mistake is still laughed about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending