The Student Room Group

Ever had a shocking moment to do with an offer?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hayheyley
Genuinely still haven't heard :frown: Yeah I saw on the offer holders' thread that Track is being updated for some, but not me... I'm checking every 5 mins! Hugh's admissions reopens tomorrow though so I'll be ringing first thing.

That is absolutely ridiculous. I swear they said they would let everyone know before Christmas?? My St Hughs came through on track today though, so I suppose keep ckecking. But yeah, I'm really sorry they're keeping you waiting so long :mad:
Reply 101
I was baking since about 9 that morning for all my friends and family this Christmas. About 7pm I made my self a cup of coffee coz I was getting really tired and set it down beside the Kenwood Mixer which still needed another few minutes. I thought rite I havnt checked my emails in a few days, Ill do it now. So I get the email from UCAS about something changing, the panic sets in, go to track and scream coz I got my first offer. At the same time, I heard a crash and my dog was crying as well. The mixer had vibrated across the counter and the cup of coffee fell on the floor, smashing all over the place and my poor dog's leg got burnt. Half an hour later after many tears from both me and the dog, putting him in a cold shower, tiding the shards away and getting the shortbread in the oven, i finally got to read the decision letter. What a drama!

He's absolutely fine by the way!
Reply 102
Original post by W.H.T
I also thought for many years that to I was to become architect. Just like you I changed mind and applying for something completely different. I changed directions before having been to university though. Seems weird, I mean I still do enjoy art and the idea of being an architect. But having done work exp, I know something about it wasn't right for me.

can I ask what was it about architecture which meant you didn't want to continue with it?

It was mainly just a slow realization. There was such a ridiculous amount of work to do and I had no motivation for it, unlike everyone around me who would spend all their free time working. It quickly hit me that just didnt have the passion for what I was doing like everyone else. I had done work experience and loved the thought of being an architect, but I just didnt have enough passion for all the dedication that needs to go into it.

Marketing is something I have always been interested in; it mixes creativity with boundaries and a certain amount of practicality which I like. Its so much more open careerwise and I think will just suit me a lot better :smile:
Original post by TheHeart
You have excellent GCSEs, A-levels and a very good UKCAT score and got rejected by 2 of your choices? Wow, that sure leaves a lot of hope for the rest of us...

*Sorry, slightly of topic.

Ermm no.. My GCSEs are quite average for a med student.. in fact they're a bit below average (should have worked :ashamed:)
But I'm proud of my A levels and UKCAT :yep:

I also got rejected by all 4 medicine choices last year having only had one interview with my current As, 720 UKCAT and was predicted A*A*AA

I am the definition of "A string of A grades will not guarantee a place at medical school" :rolleyes:
While grades are important.. I have found work experience/personal statement is much more important :yep:

Spoiler

Well, getting into my uni despite majorly not meeting my offer?
Original post by FamousFourTops
That is absolutely ridiculous. I swear they said they would let everyone know before Christmas?? My St Hughs came through on track today though, so I suppose keep ckecking. But yeah, I'm really sorry they're keeping you waiting so long :mad:

I know right :s-smilie: I don't think it's at all Oxford's fault though - I know a letter posted first class on 22nd Dec hasn't arrived yet so goodness knows what's happened to my Oxford letter. I am a bit worried however that my Track hasn't updated yet... I guess they must just he doing the offers first :frown:
Getting all 5 offers for varying courses including and offer from Oxford.
I was shocked that I got an interview let alone an offer for Oxford. I feel undeserving as I didn't prepare except for a forced mock interview by my teachers and I crammed for 30 mins before my grammar test. It's great getting an offer, but the offer's 40 points. It's almost impossible as I'm only predicted 38 points, and I'm not even likely to make that. :frown:
I was also surprised by how quickly I had offers from King's, Exeter and Warwick. I was told by all three not to expect to hear anything until mid-January.
:dontknow:
It's all a bit confusing and I don't really know what to make of my situation.
Original post by .Scout.
When Manchester gave me an offer, and then took it away from me a week later. Pah, didn't want to go there anyway...!

Bull****. Once a university has given you an offer through UCAS they are legally binded to give you a place if you accept. They cannot retract an offer after it has been given; that's illegal.
I had an interview for Newcastle which I must have /facepalm'd after for about 2 hours. Got picked up on things on my personal statement that I didn't know too much about (something about ethics within the computer industry and I started bumbling on like a moron, then he said "hmm best not stay on this subject too long then should we." kind of jokingly).

But anyways week later the letter says the interviewer was impressed and they gave me a reduced offer :biggrin: (I just don't know what it is yet).
Original post by Sw1tch
just wondering... if you've already firmed and insured a conditional offer can they still change them??

Yep! Well I think so, another annoying thing that happened to me was that I chose European Studies at Goldsmiths as my Insurance, then they discontinued the course and I got to choose any other course at any uni to replace it...
Reply 110
Original post by -kit-kat-
Can they do that?!
I was so worried that they were going to do this to me when i got an offer a couple of weeks ago which I really wasn't expecting, but everyone told me that they couldn't take it away once I had received it.....but if they can....I'm panicking now!

As far as I know they can do it if they want to - but if they do you're perfectly entitled to get solicitors involved, and you'll almost certainly win, since the university is so blatantly wrong
Original post by FamousFourTops
Oh also, said offer was for Oxford: bearing in mind I had ABCC at AS level. My tutor told me I was stupid for applying with those grades. I agreed, but went for it anyway. Couldn't believe it.

Haha thats awesome. I hope after you got an offer you printed a copy of your UCAS Track and shoved it in your tutors face lol. At least that's what I'd have done:wink:
Original post by Planar
As far as I know they can do it if they want to - but if they do you're perfectly entitled to get solicitors involved, and you'll almost certainly win, since the university is so blatantly wrong

ok thanks :smile:
If it happens, I will do anything I can to get it back, my offer is going NOWHERE :smile:
Reply 113
Original post by -kit-kat-
ok thanks :smile:
If it happens, I will do anything I can to get it back, my offer is going NOWHERE :smile:

Get a screenshot, and print a few copies(if you're really that worried).
After rereading my PS 3 weeks after I have send out my application I decided it was completly ***. Thought it was way over the top, and that I might sound like a standard balbalha I love it blabalab, aditionally I discoverd spelling mistakes... Obviously I was pretty gutted and already accepted that I wont get any offers.
I got crazy after receiving my first offer!!
But the odd thing is my second offer from nottingham.
Im doing the abitur so I'll try to explain: They simply want me to get better grades in all my subjects than they ask for in the relevant subject. My Average needs to be 1,5 =A but only ask for B in the relevant ones ?!
Reply 115
Original post by therealOG
Bull****. Once a university has given you an offer through UCAS they are legally binded to give you a place if you accept. They cannot retract an offer after it has been given; that's illegal.

who said anything about him accepting it? if you are given 5 conditional offers and you don't make any choices yet "technically" a offer can be taken within reason.
Original post by MylesXD
who said anything about him accepting it? if you are given 5 conditional offers and you don't make any choices yet "technically" a offer can be taken within reason.

Within the deadline of the acceptance of the offer, an offer from a university is legally binding (unless the offer is declined by the applicant). The only exception to this is if there are some exceptional circumstances e.g. the applicant lied in his UCAS application.
Original post by Planar
Get a screenshot, and print a few copies(if you're really that worried).

ok, done :smile:
better to be safe than sorry :smile:
Original post by clairelou92
I applied to Bangor for my insurance place, because they stated they only wanted BBB and im predicted A*AA

But then they gave me an offer for AAB, so now i have no insurance place :biggrin: Isn't life just great....

I would strongly suggest they you still put it as your insurance. They do tend to offer people with higher prediction higher entrance grades...but they will pretty much always be will to accept you much lower and close to the standard grades. They try to push you, but would still rather have you if they have places.
(Im at uni in Bangor :smile:)
Reply 119
Original post by MylesXD

Original post by MylesXD
You have been mixed up and "Unconditional" offer is a legally binding offer which at university MUST obey by. What you said is WRONG and unless you can have proof to back up your point then please give me information supplied by UCAS. beacuse your opinion from thin air don't mean much :smile: and i don't think its right giving people wrong information

There isn't a difference between conditional and unconditional in that sense. A university is not allowed to just change its mind and revoke either kind. The only reason would be that the applicant lied on the application or left out important information.

Why do you think a conditional offer would be different. As long as you go on to meet the conditions, it's just as binding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending