The Student Room Group

Is anyone here allergic to soap?

I am actually allergic to soap. Also shampoo. So ironically the more I wash my hair and face the worse it gets.

That's why sometimes I have to not wash my hair for a few days to improve my complexion. But then I just have greasy hair. :eek:

I have only found one type of soap I appear not to be allergic to and used it for ages with good results and all the chickadees are like "Wow you so fine." But it has run out and I went back to normal soap and my complexion is gone to pot. It has literally left me red faced.

Unfortanetley I don't know the brand of this soap. :frown: My life is ruined again. And all the chickadees are like "Eeew".

Can anyone relate to this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My skin doesn't like soap, dunno if its an allergy though. My skin just feels really tight and uncomfortable if I use soap.
yeah my brother is sensitive to soap and also certain lotions as well
Reply 3
i am,shampoo isnt really a problem but things like face wash, certain soap, shower gels, face masks, face wipes, etc can give me a really bad reaction to it -my sister bought me a peel off face mask, i used it one night and once i peeled it off, i noticed redness and a bit itchy but thought it would die down but next morning my face was covered in a red itchy rash, had to go to doctor and get cream and some antihistamine tablets to get it to go away and even then it took about 2 weeks, also used veet hair removal cream on my legs and they felt like they were on fire and went red almost straight away, really not nice. if i try new face wipes they can cause redness, itchy spots and pain, the amount of products i have donated to my sister because i cant use them is stupid.

not sure why but the doctor thinks my problem is more to do with the fact that i get really dry skin, eczema and psoriasis so certain chemicals can really irritate my skin, causing a bad reaction which isn't really a good look for me (dont like the red spotty look for some reason). i have found that the "Simple" products seem to work quite well for me because they dont have chemicals in them (pretty much one of the only products i havent had any reactions to).
Reply 4
If I was allergic to soap you could smell me a mile away! :biggrin:

No, I'm not allergic to soap. Although certain soap dries my skin.
I don't know if I am but alot of soaps and handwashes make my hands go red and rough
yuppp, i cant use anything with perfume in. my mum even uses special washing liquid :3

'Simple' is great for shower gels and wipes e.c.t. their products seem to have calmed my eczema down as well :biggrin:
Reply 7
I have just tried "simple" bar soap brand. But my skin really hurt afterwards and felt all tight. So that's no good.

It simply dries out my face and then my face seems to compensate by getting all greasy.

Am I being stupid using soap on my face at all?

Can someone recommend an alternative face cleanser that I can use?

Also, do most people use a flannel to wash their face or just their hands?

I feel all ugly at the moment with horrible complexion.
Reply 8
Original post by noobynoo
I have just tried "simple" bar soap brand. But my skin really hurt afterwards and felt all tight. So that's no good.

It simply dries out my face and then my face seems to compensate by getting all greasy.

You could try oilatum?
Reply 9
Original post by Wilzyy
You could try oilatum?

I don't like the idea of putting oil on my face. Someone suggested Aveeno. Is that any good?:confused:
Reply 10
yeah, soap gives me dry skin on my hands and they crack and bleed because of it, its awful :frown:
also, if i wash my face with soap that isnt a face wash i get horrible dry skin because of it.

i use nivea for men deep cleansing face wash- its also like a cooling gel

and your also supposed to use the brands moisturiser afterwards to stop your skin feeling tight, but i hardly ever use it

for my hands- regular handwash- dont mind them feeling dry and rough really
Reply 12
yeah I don't mind washing my hands with soap cause you don't get spots on your hands. But then you have to be careful not to wash your face with your hands afterwards. :frown:

I am trying out Johnson's clean and clear. It claims to be as mild as water. (hmm). It felt quite refreshing but my face does feel a little tight and dry afterwards. So it's not a miracle cure but I suppose if I use it sparingly.

Maybe I should get a moisturiser but I don't think that would go well with my manly persona. ha! :wink:
Have you tried Simple soap? It's got no scented or coloured chemicals in so is supposed to be better for sensitive skin.
Reply 14
I have really bad allergic reactions to most products. nivea and johnsons especially but most stuff generally. im ok with most "simple" products. But i use aqueous cream as soap to wash my body, and can use to wash your face as well. for hair, maybe use a gentle baby shampoo (not johnsons though). oh and was it "coal tar" soap?
Reply 15
I don't like the idea of putting oil on my face. Someone suggested Aveeno. Is that any good?:confused:

Aveeno didn't work that well for me, you should try Cetraben, its quite a thick emollient but it works amazingly well. It's quite expensive if you buy it from Boots/a chemist but you can get it on prescription so ask your GP :smile:
Reply 16
I am actually allergic to soap. Also shampoo. So ironically the more I wash my hair and face the worse it gets.

That's why sometimes I have to not wash my hair for a few days to improve my complexion. But then I just have greasy hair. :eek:

I have only found one type of soap I appear not to be allergic to and used it for ages with good results and all the chickadees are like "Wow you so fine." But it has run out and I went back to normal soap and my complexion is gone to pot. It has literally left me red faced.

Unfortanetley I don't know the brand of this soap. :frown: My life is ruined again. And all the chickadees are like "Eeew".

Can anyone relate to this?

very common

very annoying

i have same problem, though not as bad by the sounds
Reply 17
you know what. I've ditched all those facial cleansers etc. back to pure water. my face feels much better. :smile: but i suppose they don't tell you that on the adverts: "Don't buy our product water is just as good." Waters a solvent after all.

If you think about it, we're all just animals after all and animals don't put detergents on their faces and they seem OK.

I suppose you still need to shampoo your hair every so often because of all the pollution in the air that gets in it. But I always wondered how did cavemen clean their hair?:confused:
Reply 18
Im allergic to the soaps they use in Mcdonalds, was a pain in the neck when i worked there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest