The Student Room Group

Phlebotomy Career: How do I become one?

Hi!

I've been thinking of becoming a Phlebotomist, Is there anyone here who actually is one? How do I apply and become one? :confused:
I already have a degree in Pharmaceutical Science and I've been looking for a job in the NHS and it 's been difficult. How long do you have to train for to become a phlebotomist.

Are there any decent websites to check this out?

I would be grateful for some good advice. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,
Well done for gaining a pharmaceutical science degree. Here is a link I found while I was searching for courses but yet do the course.
Best of luck
http://www.phlebotomytraining.co.uk/
Did anyone else have to look up what phlebotomy is?

Or was it just me? :getmecoat:
Reply 3
Original post by Drunk Punx
Did anyone else have to look up what phlebotomy is?

Or was it just me? :getmecoat:

I had to aswell :colondollar:
Reply 4
Original post by jaheen22
I had to aswell :colondollar:

Totally off-topic, but wow, you have a Cambridge maths offer which has a B in it and only asks for 1,2 on STEP? Are you just like... a total god who they had to have at all costs? I'm half-stunned and half-jealous :awesome: If you don't mind my asking, how come your offer is lower than usual?
Phlebotomy is a job not a career it's pure psychomotor technician stuff ... the pay band 2 or 3 reflects this.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
My mum is a phlebotomist and left school at fourteen.

They chuck you into the deep end straight away, but she's done nursing for years and this has been her favourite area.

She's always complaining about how most doctors are sh*t at taking blood too.
Reply 7
No you don't need any A levels or a degree....some people just do the course to get some type of experience of working in a hospital.
xx
Reply 8
Original post by Butties
My mum is a phlebotomist and left school at fourteen.

They chuck you into the deep end straight away, but she's done nursing for years and this has been her favourite area.

She's always complaining about how most doctors are sh*t at taking blood too.

My cousin is a nurse and she loves taking blood too!
xx
Reply 9
Original post by kerily
Totally off-topic, but wow, you have a Cambridge maths offer which has a B in it and only asks for 1,2 on STEP? Are you just like... a total god who they had to have at all costs? I'm half-stunned and half-jealous :awesome: If you don't mind my asking, how come your offer is lower than usual?

I'm not like a total god. I am a total god :tongue:

I think it might be to do with the fact I don't do FM? Although I can't see how that was such an important factor that they dropped me a grade in both A levels and STEP. But hey, I'm not complaining :biggrin:

I doubt I'll make the offer though :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by nikki8
My cousin is a nurse and she loves taking blood too!
xx

Cool, glad to have found someone else who does ha ha.
Reply 11
I trained to be a phlebotomist while i was studying at university.

i completed my training at barnet chase farm hospital where i sat 2 exams and did over 100 venepunctures.

however after that i found it difficult to find work even after registering with agencies.

the problem with phlebotomy is you will start at 8 am and finish by 12 everyday-

you will need to be awake, and reliable-
Reply 12
I looked at this, and searched the courses which all look interesting but very expensive. when i went on to some website talking about phlebotomy though, some national institute, they said that these qualifications were worthless, and that they would be teaching you everything you need to know on the job, and not to waste your money.
Reply 13
Where can I train? I live in Dagenham. Is there an age limit?
Reply 14
Hi im looking to becoming a phlebotomist i only have gcses and i been working in care for past 5yrs. I just want to no how i go about doing it
Original post by Angecl
Hi im looking to becoming a phlebotomist i only have gcses and i been working in care for past 5yrs. I just want to no how i go about doing it

Most jobs usually ask for a certificate of competency, others offer training - usually allowing development to a HCA. Most of the phleb jobs I've seen require some form of experience, but I'm unsure if they want phleb experience or not. Jobs can be found here: http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/

Depending on your location you can get a phleb certificate for around £80ish, make sure you do live bleeding sessions though as well as your course.

Your GCSEs will be handy when applying to jobs as they may be a requirement, but the course does not have any prerequisites for education. Good luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
Do i have to go to uni! And thankyou for getting back to me
Original post by uwotuwot
Most jobs usually ask for a certificate of competency, others offer training - usually allowing development to a HCA. Most of the phleb jobs I've seen require some form of experience, but I'm unsure if they want phleb experience or not. Jobs can be found here: http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/

Depending on your location you can get a phleb certificate for around £80ish, make sure you do live bleeding sessions though as well as your course.

Your GCSEs will be handy when applying to jobs as they may be a requirement, but the course does not have any prerequisites for education. Good luck!
Original post by Angecl
Do i have to go to uni! And thankyou for getting back to me

No you don't have to attend uni. You just need to pay for a phlebotomy training course which will last 2 - 3 days - google phlebotomy courses near you and you should find some, you should have to pay more than £150 for it. Try to find one with training sessions on live volunteers, that'll be a benefit when you're applying for jobs. Your 5 years of experience in a health care role will be a big plus when applying for jobs.
Reply 18
Thankyou very much appreciated ur advice
Original post by uwotuwot
No you don't have to attend uni. You just need to pay for a phlebotomy training course which will last 2 - 3 days - google phlebotomy courses near you and you should find some, you should have to pay more than £150 for it. Try to find one with training sessions on live volunteers, that'll be a benefit when you're applying for jobs. Your 5 years of experience in a health care role will be a big plus when applying for jobs.
I work for NHS it's easier when you already work there.i want to train to do phlebotomy I looked in to it and spoken to supervisor on bloods she gave me internal numbers and go on a site Moodle but have to register on. NHS site but I work there have to do online test to do with bloods and training with earl learning for one day .if u Google it you get places you can train at but have to pay I hope this helps good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending