The Student Room Group

13inch or 15inch macbook pro

Scroll to see replies

I have a 13" one and I have no problems with the screen size. It's good if you travel quite a bit as well!
Reply 21
I've got a 13" MPB and love it! :love: ....... Wouldn't want it bigger or smaller...It's just right. :yep:
Original post by jabed786
Okay I bought a Vaio and had a few problems with it, they are sending me a replacement but if problems persist, I'm going to demand a refund.And I think I'm gonna jump to the other side and join the world of Mac.
There is quite a big difference in terms of cost between the 13inch and 15inch. And wanted to know, do people on the 13inch find it comfortable to use (is it not a strain on the eyes when going on it for long periods of time? does the size of it bother you? etc.)
The 13inch is £850 where as the 15inch would set me back around 1300.
I wish there was a 14inch size available - it would be a lovely happy medium.
Oh and is it quiet i.e. is the fan quiet?

I have a 13" Macbook Pro and honestly I love it. The 15" is pretty heavy compared to the 13" (important it you want it to be portable). It's fast and pretty much virus free without an anti-virus program. My notes never get corrupted and the graphic design elements work properly.
However, I do prefer the keyboard of the 15", but all in all my 13" is bliss in a box :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Nayberay
Wow thats awesome, how much would the 3 year Applecare come to on top of that?

Just planning because i'm getting one when the summer deals come out. :h:

Should be around £50.00 if I remember correctly. I interrogated an Apple salesman in the Liverpool store last week. I told him that I'll be buying the lower-end 15" MBP soon and asked whether or not they still had the sickening deal on AppleCare for student. He told me it's pretty much the same as it was when I bought my original MacBook. So, again if I can recall correctly, it should be around 50 quid :biggrin:

A bloody bargain if you ask me :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Hedger
Should be around £50.00 if I remember correctly. I interrogated an Apple salesman in the Liverpool store last week. I told him that I'll be buying the lower-end 15" MBP soon and asked whether or not they still had the sickening deal on AppleCare for student. He told me it's pretty much the same as it was when I bought my original MacBook. So, again if I can recall correctly, it should be around 50 quid :biggrin:

Wow that really is. Thankyou for the helpful info. :h:
+rep
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Nayberay
Wow thats awesome, how much would the 3 year Applecare come to on top of that?

Just planning because i'm getting one when the summer deals come out. :h:

75% off, a princely £48 [=
Original post by chriscross17
Sometimes it annoying when you can't see a whole web page and if you ever want to do anything other than use the internet, the screen size can be a bit limiting.

I have never ever not been able to see an entire web page on my 13" MPB. Am I right in guessing you don't let Safari use the entire screen?

As for the second issue - just use spaces :smile:.

Original post by Fusilero
From my personal experience, don't get a MacBook Pro. Right after my Warranty ran out the glass screen cover cracked, the new one wasn't able to adhere to the screen and I had to stick it together with black tape (not before dust went inside all over the place), some of the function keys have stopped working, one of the USB ports (out of two) has failed, the disc drive has completely failed, the heat dispersal system is causing the plastic beneath the screen to crack and break away, the batteries die the moment they're unplugged and one of the speakers have fizzed away.

You can get experiences with that anywhere though. In general Apple are brilliant in terms of customer service, and I seriously doubt any other manufacturer would repair something after 3 years anyway (If you buy from the university store online, you get a free 3 year warrenty).

Original post by Hedger

Personally, I really don't see the point.
If you buy it online, and get the student discount, you get a free 3 year warrenty anyway. Essentially the same as AppleCare, but minus the telephone support and pick up from your hosue (so you'd need to go into an Apple store).
Reply 27
Thankyou. :h:

I wonder what summer deal they'll do.

Another iPod/printer perhaps? Hmm :h:
Reply 28
Original post by WelshBluebird

Personally, I really don't see the point.
If you buy it online, and get the student discount, you get a free 3 year warrenty anyway. Essentially the same as AppleCare, but minus the telephone support and pick up from your hosue (so you'd need to go into an Apple store).

I've not heard of that before. Around 3 weeks ago I realised I decided to finally get my keyboard and screen fixed (cracks) and I took it straight into the Apple store's 'Genius Bar' :rolleyes: They took it off me and fixed it in an hour. Simple and easy. So whatever extra money gets me that service is fine by me.
Original post by Hedger
I've not heard of that before. Around 3 weeks ago I realised I decided to finally get my keyboard and screen fixed (cracks) and I took it straight into the Apple store's 'Genius Bar' :rolleyes: They took it off me and fixed it in an hour. Simple and easy. So whatever extra money gets me that service is fine by me.

Yep. Not a lot of people know about it, but I can post up my warranty certificate tonight if you want.

And you would get the same service with the free warranty. So while a 3 year warranty for 50 quid is a good deal, having near enough the same thing for free is brilliant!
Okay I bought a Vaio and had a few problems with it, they are sending me a replacement but if problems persist, I'm going to demand a refund.And I think I'm gonna jump to the other side and join the world of Mac.
There is quite a big difference in terms of cost between the 13inch and 15inch. And wanted to know, do people on the 13inch find it comfortable to use (is it not a strain on the eyes when going on it for long periods of time? does the size of it bother you? etc.)

15" no doubt, 13 is too small (imo) 17 is just, well its huge. Go for the 15 mate
Reply 31
Original post by WelshBluebird
Yep. Not a lot of people know about it, but I can post up my warranty certificate tonight if you want.

And you would get the same service with the free warranty. So while a 3 year warranty for 50 quid is a good deal, having near enough the same thing for free is brilliant!

Verrrry interesting. Can you link me to something on the Apple website that says this? I suppose they make their money back by having less people in the store and more buying online this way. Regardless, it's very generous :smile:
Original post by Hedger
Verrrry interesting. Can you link me to something on the Apple website that says this? I suppose they make their money back by having less people in the store and more buying online this way. Regardless, it's very generous :smile:

http://store.apple.com/uk-edu/browse/campaigns/education_pricing/university

Apple is the sole supplier of the National Higher Education Agreement which means you’ll get up to 15% off the price of a new Mac, up to 10% off Apple software, an extended three-year warranty and one-year AppleCare telephone support

Bolded the important bit.

And from http://storeimages.apple.com/1510/store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/salespolicies_individualHE.html#topic-10

10.1.1 All Apple-branded desktop and portable computer products sold after October 1st 2005 within the framework of the HE National Agreement shall be subject to a 36 calendar month warranty period (the “HE National Agreement Warranty”) commencing from the date of delivery.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Fusilero
From my personal experience, don't get a MacBook Pro. Right after my Warranty ran out the glass screen cover cracked, the new one wasn't able to adhere to the screen and I had to stick it together with black tape (not before dust went inside all over the place), some of the function keys have stopped working, one of the USB ports (out of two) has failed, the disc drive has completely failed, the heat dispersal system is causing the plastic beneath the screen to crack and break away, the batteries die the moment they're unplugged and one of the speakers have fizzed away.

In other news, OS X is sexeh and the physical design is brilliant.

:confused: you must have been very unlucky or taken really bad care of it... mines coming to two years with no problems apart from the track-pad doesnt respond too well :s
Reply 34
Original post by francescafrancesca
:confused: you must have been very unlucky or taken really bad care of it... mines coming to two years with no problems apart from the track-pad doesnt respond too well :s

My trackpad is great! :biggrin:
Reply 35

I have had a 13" MacBook Pro since August and before I bought it I thought I would struggle on a small screen, I had the vaio FW before so was used to 16.1". Its a fantastic machine, and use it allot and havent really experienced any difficulties with it whatsoever. I haven't installed windows on mine yet though, I don't really feel the need for it.

I would say though, the way I used to get my work done presentations, spreadsheets, chrome and documents opened simultaneously etc, I feel that 13" is a hint bit of a cram the way I used to do my work. At the moment I do some iPhone programming with the Mac and that means loads of windows, now while Mac has a brilliant way of organising open windows, Itd be even more convenient on a 15". If I was to buy another one it would be the 15" as you can really then make even better use of the Mac OS which is brilliant. If you are a power user then go for the 15" although you will not be too disappointed with the 13" if at all.

As well, if you want to run any games you'd probably be better off buying the 15" - the 13" doesn't have a dedicated graphics card. Its brilliant for everything else though if you are not into gaming / gaming on computers.

And so you know you will love the Mac OS, you will still be able to install windows on it so you can choose which OS you want to run at startup or there is a fantastic program I recommend called VMWare fusion which allows you to run windows programs on Mac seamlessly, like if you open up a word document, it will open up Windows version of word as if it was a Mac program. Completely seamless.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by RectalExamination
I have had a 13" MacBook Pro since August and before I bought it I thought I would struggle on a small screen, I had the vaio FW before so was used to 16.1". Its a fantastic machine, and use it allot and havent really experienced any difficulties with it whatsoever. I haven't installed windows on mine yet though, I don't really feel the need for it.

I would say though, the way I used to get my work done presentations, spreadsheets, chrome and documents opened simultaneously etc, I feel that 13" is a hint bit of a cram the way I used to do my work. At the moment I do some iPhone programming with the Mac and that means loads of windows, now while Mac has a brilliant way of organising open windows, Itd be even more convenient on a 15". If I was to buy another one it would be the 15" as you can really then make even better use of the Mac OS which is brilliant. If you are a power user then go for the 15" although you will not be too disappointed with the 13" if at all.

As well, if you want to run any games you'd probably be better off buying the 15" - the 13" doesn't have a dedicated graphics card. Its brilliant for everything else though if you are not into gaming / gaming on computers.

And so you know you will love the Mac OS, you will still be able to install windows on it so you can choose which OS you want to run at startup or there is a fantastic program I recommend called VMWare fusion which allows you to run windows programs on Mac seamlessly, like if you open up a word document, it will open up Windows version of word as if it was a Mac program. Completely seamless.

Stop.Making.Me.Want.One. :tongue:
I have no reasons not to get one apart from the fact my current laptop is perfectly functional. :sigh: It's far too heavy though and it can't handle all my videos and photos! I'll give it to my mum... I have a love-hate thing with Apple. I love it but I hate how they restrict you- like having to go through itunes to put music on your iphone instead of dragging and dropping. :sigh: Will definately save up and get one in the summer though!
Reply 37
Original post by diamonddust
Stop.Making.Me.Want.One. :tongue:
I have no reasons not to get one apart from the fact my current laptop is perfectly functional. :sigh: It's far too heavy though and it can't handle all my videos and photos! I'll give it to my mum... I have a love-hate thing with Apple. I love it but I hate how they restrict you- like having to go through itunes to put music on your iphone instead of dragging and dropping. :sigh: Will definately save up and get one in the summer though!

:tongue: Im sorry :tongue: I think you can get it on student discount as well, one of the main reasons I got mine last August. I get what you mean about restrictions, you can get programs that let you drag and drop tunes into your iPod/iPhone etc, iTunes has an option that lets you manage the music or whatever without having to sync, you just drop tunes into it. But that is still not quite the same as USB drag and drop but there you are.

Its the main thing they do in terms of making their Laptops and other gadgets easy to use, seamless, they have brilliant customer support, I got replacements for an iPhone I reckon I had no right to replace :tongue: and a battery charger the other day which broke from misuse on my end. I think it is a brilliant system all together, they put their time into a couple of models and really excel it. Anyways :biggrin:
Reply 38
do you know guys where i can get used or refurbished mac book pro 13' less than £500. Many thanks
Original post by al_habib

Original post by al_habib
do you know guys where i can get used or refurbished mac book pro 13' less than £500. Many thanks

eBay/Craigslist if you're very lucky. Apple laptops hold their value very well, you aren't likely to find anything from early 2010 onwards for that price unless the seller is desperate to part with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending