The Student Room Group

Why can't I leave my house?

I literally haven't left my house for 4 weeks and I've started to get scared if I have to. I'm 20 and Uni student. I was meant to be doing an internship this year as part of my course but failed to get one by th deadline. I was looking for one for about 4 months, so whilst applying and waiting for replies was pretty much doing nothing, and occasionally visiting my friends who were on internships on the the odd weekend.

I didn't get one by the deadline though, so decided to just re apply for another course to do in September and get a normal job whilst waiting. I've been accepted onto the course, but I haven't been able to get another job and I've been looking since December, so it's been another 3 months literally doing nothing but waiting for a reply.

I don't even go and visit my friends and the weekend now as most of the time they are too busy or just don't invite me, and when I was invited a few weeks ago, I wanted to see my friend but for some reason couldn't face leaving the house. I've got an interview, my first one after about 400 applications, on Tuesday morning, but I'm so afraid to go because I don't want to leave my house.

I'm not happy just sitting at home playing Playstation and but I'm never that sad really either, I'm just used to it. I sort of feel now like I wouldn't mind getting a job where I could work from home, it wouldn't even have to be a big home, just a clean one bedroom apartment. I just feel safe when I'm alone or in my room.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yea, you seripuy need to get out of the house and do something; staying inside and not wanting to go out (especially when that could mess up your figure) is a seripus problem.

There is nothing with wanting to play video games (I'm at a uni now and I love doing it when I have some down time) but you can't let that take oover your life.

Do whatever you need to do to get motivated, get up,and get a job.
Reply 3
Reply 4
Your condition doesn't sounds like acrophobia just yet, but it could be close. I'd say get some professional help, tbh - don't you have someone (family, friends, room-mate) you could talk to? Explain the situation to them.
Reply 5
That is tough, I went through something similar. Either try talking to someone about it or if you can't even face that, just start by going for a walk, next day something longer, then go visit the shops and so on until in a weeks time you'll hopefully have gotten over it. It hasn't been THAT long but if you leave it then it could get real bad.
Reply 6
try leaving the house during the night, around this time now, thell be noone around, noone will see you. you can just go for a walk to remind you how awesome outside is
Reply 7
I think you need to see a doctor.
Reply 8
Your door's probably locked
Reply 9
Definetly need to get out more before the condition gets worse and ruins your life.
Reply 10
i have the same probem too but a littie differnt
Reply 11
Hmm, I think I may see the problem here.

OP, do you have legs?
Reply 12
Original post by Abiraleft
Your condition doesn't sounds like acrophobia just yet, but it could be close. I'd say get some professional help, tbh - don't you have someone (family, friends, room-mate) you could talk to? Explain the situation to them.

:confused:
What??!!!!
You're concluding that he's afraid of heights!!!!
I think you meant agoraphobia :wink:

:erm:
Uhhh..... Yeah I agree that you might to speak to someone (a professional and/ or friends, family etc.) if this persist much longer. I once had a similar problem but it was due to my fear of reliving that car accident (I wasn't involved in it - I witnessed it).

Four weeks isn't really alarming...
Reply 13
Open the front door and step outside. Congratulations, you just left the house.
Reply 14
i dont see why some of you are being a bit rude. it isnt that easy
I don't understand how people do this tbh unless it's some serious phobia. Have your parents not told you to leave the house? Go out for a walk or something?
Out of curiosity, how have you been buying food? Supermarket delivery?

I go nuts if I'm inside the house for longer than a couple of days. The supermarket is my "get-out-of-the-house" place lol
First of all I think a lot of people are being very unfair about your situation because it really isn't something to laugh about regardless of whether or not it is a phobia. I too don't like going outside. It was quite bad for a couple of weeks but then I was forced to go shopping with my friends. Because I was out with someone I felt a lot better. Nowadays I don't go out as often as I should but if I have a friend with me I'm OK about it.
So try inviting a friend round and going for a walk with them. Just round the corner, don't push yourself. Take it a step at a time and you'll feel better about it eventually. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by JunePlum
:confused:
What??!!!!
You're concluding that he's afraid of heights!!!!
I think you meant agoraphobia :wink:

:dunce:

Thanks.
You're going to have to force yourself to go outside.. you don't have to go very far at first (do you have a garden?) but if you just step outside of your door, maybe sit in the garden/yard to read a magazine or something.. and then each day see if you can get further and further away from the house. It's so easy to develop agoraphobia, even from just not leaving the house by chance for a couple of days and then realising you're a little nervous about it for some reason.. so you need to ensure that it doesn't get to this stage. If it does, then call your doctor (they should make a house call) and explain the situation and they'll be able to refer you for therapy to help remove or reduce your fear x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending