The Student Room Group

I know the ONE THING that will give ANYONE all the confidence in the world

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MovingOn
Wow, you really don't understand depression.

yes i do. are you really saying you will remain depressed even if you are getting genuine attention from hot guys and they are attracted to you? and lets say as well that you could have any of these guys as a boyfriend - none of this attention is sleazy.
Reply 21
Original post by poshbloke
next I'd like to know that my toaster is likely to burn bread if I leave it in too long

Does your toaster not have a knob that determines the quantity of heat that should be provided when toasting bread?

If not, are you sure you're using a toaster?
Reply 22
yeah... that or cocaine.
Reply 23
Original post by kerily

I could cry. :nopity: What will I do now, without the fantastic advice of yours which everyone else is able to follow?

Seriously, OP, did you think this was news to anyone? :colonhash:

being gay is harder because you dont know if someone else is gay unless they sort of tell you. gay people are rarer. they make a much smaller amount of the population. there are gay bars i suppose.
Reply 24
ahh Poirot you got here just in time :biggrin:
Reply 25
Original post by loling909
So is this something you experienced yourself? :eyeball:

when i do get attention from a girl i think is attractive, yes it does make me a lot more confident. it would for any straight guy.
Reply 26
Original post by robotwars
yes i do. are you really saying you will remain depressed even if you are getting genuine attention from hot guys and they are attracted to you? and lets say as well that you could have any of these guys as a boyfriend - none of this attention is sleazy.

When I've been in the depths of depression knowing I already had a gorgeous man by my side, and without wanting to sound big headed could have another one if he wasn't around, did absolutely nothing for my confidence. When you're that low normal things just don't matter.
Reply 27
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
Well done for telling us something we already know.

Now if you have a plan to make everyone who isn't attractive, get attention from attractive members of the opposite sex, I'd like to here it.

i dont have a plan but you can make it easier for yourself. you can work out to get a better body. you can get a better haircut. better clothes. then get yourself out there around girls.
OMG! Greatest discovery of the Century!!!
EVERYONE GO CRAZY!!
i dont have a plan but you can make it easier for yourself. you can work out to get a better body. you can get a better haircut. better clothes. then get yourself out there around girls.

But we know this?
Reply 30
Original post by MovingOn
When I've been in the depths of depression knowing I already had a gorgeous man by my side, and without wanting to sound big headed could have another one if he wasn't around, did absolutely nothing for my confidence. When you're that low normal things just don't matter.

why were you depressed then? you sound like you have really high expectations or dreams in life that came crashing down on you when you realised life isnt some sort of disney fairytale.
Reply 31
when i do get attention from a girl i think is attractive, yes it does make me a lot more confident. it would for any straight guy.

But there are people who get all the attention in the world from the opposite sex, but they are still depressed :fyi:
What about those who DON'T get attention or don't accept compliments very well? What about the self concious/depressed? You haven't thought it through properly because if you really think that getting attention off of someone attractive is going to miraculously boost your confidence, then you have a lot to learn.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
why were you depressed then? you sound like you have really high expectations or dreams in life that came crashing down on you when you realised life isnt some sort of disney fairytale.

Wow, you dickhead.
I thought you were gonna say '9 inch penis', or 'millions of pounds in your bank account', but this is just as obvious i suppose.
Reply 35
(Seriously, OP, its not new news to most people, I wouldn't have thought...)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by DanielleT192
What about those who DON'T get attention or don't accept compliments very well? What about the self concious/depressed? You haven't thought it through properly because if you really think that getting attention off of someone attractive is going to miraculously boost your confidence, then you have a lot to learn.

the ones who dont get attention find confidence from elsewhere or they dont find confidence from elsewhere. simple as that.

the ones who dont accept compliments very well are probably cynical and think everyone in the world is out to get them or be nice to them so they can get something from them. i am talking about genuine attention here.

what has the self concious and depressed got anything to do with it?

its not going to miraculously boost your confidence but over a bit of time it will make you very confident.
I can speak from experience here. When I was overweight, I didn't have much self-confidence. Now I'm slim and get my fair share of attention from guys, and my self-confidence is better. BUT, it was not a magical cure-all solution. I still have some issues including moderate depression. Have you not considered the fact that sometimes being overweight is the result of depression, not the other way round? Yes, positive attention helps a bit and raises self-esteem somewhat, but you clearly don't know anything about depression if you think it can be completely solved by something as simple as that.
(edited 13 years ago)
the ones who dont get attention find confidence from elsewhere or they dont find confidence from elsewhere. simple as that.

the ones who dont accept compliments very well are probably cynical and think everyone in the world is out to get them or be nice to them so they can get something from them. i am talking about genuine attention here.

what has the self concious and depressed got anything to do with it?

its not going to miraculously boost your confidence but over a bit of time it will make you very confident.

Well your title said that this will help ANYONE and now you're saying that if this doesn't boost people's confidence then they could find it elsewhere. A clear contradiction.

And depression affects your confidence so plays a big part in how people take to receiving compliments, likewise with those who are self concious, also interlinks with people unable to accept compliments even if it is genuine because they might undervalue themselves, so it is relevant.

Attention off of the opposite sex is nice or even from the same sex but it might not work for those stated above.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan
I can speak from experience here. When I was overweight, I didn't have much self-confidence. Now I'm slim and get my fair share of attention from guys, and my self-confidence is better. BUT, it was not a magical cure-all solution. I still have some issues including moderate depression. Have you not considered the fact that sometimes being overweight is the result of depression, not the other way round? Yes, positive attention helps a bit and raises self-esteem somewhat, but you clearly don't know anything about depression if you think it can be completely solved by something as simple as that.

I know. I think something in the long-term would need to be altered to boost your confidence, not some one off attention or even with someone in a relationship. You need something that'll make you feel better in the long run, like altering your lifestyle etc. I agree it does help when you hear that someone finds you attractive, but it's how you value yourself that matters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending