The Student Room Group

How to apply without cooperation from one's family

I'd like to know if there is any way for me to make an application for student finance without cooperation from my family. My parents are not expected to make any contribution towards my expenses as they do not have a sufficiently high income. It is still necessary, however, that they submit their details to prove this to be the case. They're unfortunately not willing to do so.

(I'm afraid that my family and myself are far from close. I haven't met up with them for some time.)

I gather that it is possible to apply as an independent student. But the requirements appear to be for one to have supported oneself for several years, or to have a child, or to be married... None of these apply to me.

I have heard, however, that one can also be classified as an independent student if there can be proven to be an estrangement from one's parents. Has anyone out there attempted to apply in this way? Do any of you have any helpful info?
Original post by xoejoanna
I'd like to know if there is any way for me to make an application for student finance without cooperation from my family. My parents are not expected to make any contribution towards my expenses as they do not have a sufficiently high income. It is still necessary, however, that they submit their details to prove this to be the case. They're unfortunately not willing to do so.

(I'm afraid that my family and myself are far from close. I haven't met up with them for some time.)

I gather that it is possible to apply as an independent student. But the requirements appear to be for one to have supported oneself for several years, or to have a child, or to be married... None of these apply to me.

I have heard, however, that one can also be classified as an independent student if there can be proven to be an estrangement from one's parents. Has anyone out there attempted to apply in this way? Do any of you have any helpful info?

Apply as an independent student.

Then get a letter off both a lecturer at your college and your GP to confirm that you're estranged from them and they are unwilling to support you through university and therefore you need to take out the full loans as an independent to continue your education. Make it very clear that without this help you will not be able to continue into university as you wouldn't be able to cope financially. Also make them aware that you have tried a number of times to sort things out with your parents and they're having none of it and there is no chance whatsoever of reconciliation.

Sometimes one letter is not enough to put forward your case. You could simply get one letter written out and get two people with authority to sign it to support what you have said.

You can also get a social worker to sign the letter.

Also, estrangement according to the SLC must have been for a period of 12 months or longer. If you have fallen out within that period then its likely it will be classed as a domestic dispute rather than estrangement and you'll get declined.
Bad advice. Under the circumstances you outline there is no way you can prove estrangement.
This is very similar to my thread. *subscribes*
Reply 4
You're not estranged. If you do not want your parents details involved, you are only entitled to the reduced support, no grants, no bursary.
Original post by Taiko
You're not estranged. If you do not want your parents details involved, you are only entitled to the reduced support, no grants, no bursary.

That is so unfair though. :frown: The kids from unhappy homes suffer even more whereas the ones from stable family backgrounds get more. Where is the justice in that?
Reply 6
Original post by Pandora_Eyes
That is so unfair though. :frown: The kids from unhappy homes suffer even more whereas the ones from stable family backgrounds get more. Where is the justice in that?

Well if they didn't place strict rules around estrangement then everyone would be claiming it to get more money
Reply 7
You aren't actually estranged from your parents and even if you were, student finance told me they need proof from either the police or a social worker. I'm afraid it's looking like you're going to have to apply and receive loans only.
Reply 8
All estrangement cases are assessed individually. Nobody on here can say for sure whether you will or will not be classed as estranged. The original reply on this thread is the best one. Contact SFE and let them decide.
Reply 9
As someone with 5 years of assessing these cases, it would be just as easy to listen to myself. OP is not estranged, based on their statements.
I'll back up Taiko here on this. 'Far from close' does not qualify as estranged - it has to be for a substantial period of time and based on serious circumstances, with supporting evidence from social workers etc as a previous poster claimed. You'll only be entitled to non income-assessed support if you don't want your parents' income taken into account.
Original post by xoejoanna

This is a slightly outlandish idea, but do you know any responsible adults who could agree to visit your parents with you, to support you and help to negotiate?
(edited 13 years ago)
Actually, on the other hand, could you support yourself for a year and then claim estrangement? If things are going that way anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending