The Student Room Group

Facebook is a massive online surveillance program run by the CIA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Monitoring is one thing. Infiltrating is taking it a step further. The US military have servicemen and women employed to log onto social network sites and forums under false identities with the specific aim of posting pro-US propaganda. Sock puppets, in the jargon.

No, really. They do:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/mar/17/us-spy-operation-social-networks
im sure the CIA really care about a bunch of teenagers drunken photos and pointless frapes... no?
You do realise that's a satirical piece? They aren't seriously assertingt that the CIA created or used facebook as a surveillance mechanism..
Original post by History-Student
You say it wouldn't surprise you if this was true a couple of times.

If this really seems likely to you, you're far too paranoid for your own good. In which case the pic in my sig should scare the **** out of you. Better readjust the tinfoil hat :tongue:

w...t...f?

O.O u can look but i doesnt afraid of anythin
How many millions of users are there? They'd have to have the powers of God to keep tabs on everyone.

Also I'm sure that people have announced indiscriminate acts on facebook before and haven't got caught, so I very much doubt it. There is so much **** on facebook anyway that I would SERIOUSLY HOPE that they would crack down on crime through other methods that analysing comments that have been made PUBLICLY, I might add
Original post by Manesh2468
i recomend u watch the facebook movie LoL cia huh thats pretty cool facebooks for narcissists anyways and normal people too but overruled by narcissists lol...

I'm a narcissist and I don't have Facebook, go figure :h:
I don't feel the need to take a million photos of myself then putting them up on the Internet so everyone can see them. I do it the old-fashioned way by taking a photo of myself, photo-copying it, then sending it via letter to everyone I know :yy:
Original post by Threepigs
w...t...f?

O.O u can look but i doesnt afraid of anythin

Not yet you don't.

But you will :mwuaha:
Reply 27
I assume you have seen the video and also heard about operation Farmville, evidently it is a wind up gag to make fools like you actually believe that the CIA are clever enough to come up with that
It is an undeniable fact that facebook is used as a weapon of mass surveillance. The information published there is of particular interest to the authorities especially the pages created by groups such as UK Uncut, student organisations planning demos or occupations, various environmental groups, etc. The reason the police were able to swiftly move in and control the UK Uncut lot on the London demo was because they were monitoring their twitter and facebook feeds which were providing updates on their intended targets. Hence the police knew exactly where they were going and could therefore plan in advance in order to contain them.

Facebook is also monitored by insurance firms, employers, and the Department for Work & Pensions who have used it in the past to catch out benefit thieves.

I don't think it is a big CIA plot however in order to monitor the world. I believe when it was set up the sole intention was enterprise and money making, it was later on when it became popular that the authorities and others realised how useful it was as a tool for monitoring people.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3
Isnit doh! Osamma's on dere evry day bluud! :rolleyes:

Osama B' has written on his wall:

"still chillin' in Tora Bora LOL! Friends is on next. Joey makes me ROFL."

*Abu Hamza likes this.*
Oh for the love of god. This is from the Onion. It's a parody news site, isn't that bloody obvious?
Original post by Nerd_No_More
I just read a really interesting article and watched a video that talks about the possibility that Facebook was created by the CIA in order to be able to secretly monitor the public. It wouldn't surprise me if this is true. What strikes me as bizaree is why people on Facebook and so forth are so keen to publicise every event in their daily lives.

Facebook is a huge invasion into peoples' privacy. It was created and marketed as 'a tool to help you keep connected to your friends and family', when in reality the ulterior motive behind it's creators, the CIA, was to use it to secretly monitor the public.

This is scary stuff. But it doesn't surprise me. The internet has become too unregulated and too much of a 'free for all', and so the Governments of the world have created Facebook in order to secretly watch people. Unfrotunatey nobody seemed to realise this.

Have a look at this link to find out more....

http://techcrunch.com/2011/03/21/fcebook-cia-onion/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

That video is from The Onion. The SPOOF news website. www.theonion.com
Reply 32
im so glad i deleted my account before i left any discriminating evidence:ninja:
Original post by Drunk Punx
I'm a narcissist and I don't have Facebook, go figure :h:
I don't feel the need to take a million photos of myself then putting them up on the Internet so everyone can see them. I do it the old-fashioned way by taking a photo of myself, photo-copying it, then sending it via letter to everyone I know :yy:

lol old school nice touch
I wouldn't say the CIA run it but police do use it. My mate got arrested for drug trafficking as he advertised his prices in a facebook status (pretty stupid if you ask me)
You post what you had for breakfast on Facebook?

:wink:
Reply 36
Original post by Nerd_No_More
I just read a really interesting article and watched a video that talks about the possibility that Facebook was created by the CIA in order to be able to secretly monitor the public. It wouldn't surprise me if this is true. What strikes me as bizaree is why people on Facebook and so forth are so keen to publicise every event in their daily lives.

Facebook is a huge invasion into peoples' privacy. It was created and marketed as 'a tool to help you keep connected to your friends and family', when in reality the ulterior motive behind it's creators, the CIA, was to use it to secretly monitor the public.

This is scary stuff. But it doesn't surprise me. The internet has become too unregulated and too much of a 'free for all', and so the Governments of the world have created Facebook in order to secretly watch people. Unfrotunatey nobody seemed to realise this.

Have a look at this link to find out more....

http://techcrunch.com/2011/03/21/fcebook-cia-onion/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Did you not watch the social network?!?!?!???!
This is why I only put false information on Facebook then use twitter to publicise my personal life. It makes you wonder why they bother with the census if they know everything already.
Reply 38
Oh no! They're going to know that people are "bored as ****!"

What will we do!?
Reply 39
You're all giving the OP a pretty hard time. I don't believe that this is true that it is run by the CIA, but you are just as bad as you think the OP is if you don't think the government is corrupt enough to do something like this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending