The Student Room Group

Funding for Medicine as a second degree

Hello all,

I'm sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere, I was struggling to find anything here.
If it has, could you point me in the right direction?

I applied for a full 5-year course in medicine at Queens University Belfast (I'm from England), and got accepted onto the course. Back when I got my interview, I was planning on going for the Professional Development Loan, should I be successful, to cover the fees. However, as you probably know, this has been withdrawn and I'm stuck for funding to cover the course fees.

It's looking a bit hopeless at the moment, so I was wondering if anyone could suggest what to go for? I feel lost!
banks will normally give you loans for this sort of thing
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by PocketRioja
Hello all,

I'm sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere, I was struggling to find anything here.
If it has, could you point me in the right direction?

I applied for a full 5-year course in medicine at Queens University Belfast (I'm from England), and got accepted onto the course. Back when I got my interview, I was planning on going for the Professional Development Loan, should I be successful, to cover the fees. However, as you probably know, this has been withdrawn and I'm stuck for funding to cover the course fees.

It's looking a bit hopeless at the moment, so I was wondering if anyone could suggest what to go for? I feel lost!

You SHOULD be able to get another tuition fee loan, it's what I'm doing. You're allowed to if medicine is your second degree because for one it's a higher classification of degree than your previous one (assuming you did a BSc), and you become registered with a professional body at the end of it.

Have a look on the Student Finance England website and look at the student loans calculator then apply for a student tuition fee loan and maintenance loan, you should get both. I'm supposed to and applied yesterday.
Reply 3
Original post by Carter BSc
You SHOULD be able to get another tuition fee loan, it's what I'm doing. You're allowed to if medicine is your second degree because for one it's a higher classification of degree than your previous one (assuming you did a BSc), and you become registered with a professional body at the end of it.

Have a look on the Student Finance England website and look at the student loans calculator then apply for a student tuition fee loan and maintenance loan, you should get both. I'm supposed to and applied yesterday.

Thanks so much for your help, Carter. That's really useful!
Reply 4
Original post by PocketRioja
Thanks so much for your help, Carter. That's really useful!

You're welcome, I hope it does work out for you. It is a bit rubbish that banks no longer do professional trainee loan schemes, or the £5000 overdraft allowance for medical students, but just think you'll be there for 5 (or 6 in my case) years, and in that time the economic downturn will more than likely be in the past, and hopefully they will reintroduce these options, maybe with a lower financial restriction if they the banks have learnt their lesson.
Reply 5
It's also wrong advice.

If you already hold an honours degree, you are only entitled to a maintenance loan for Medicine. This could be BsC(H), BA(H), anything.
Reply 6
Original post by Taiko
It's also wrong advice.

If you already hold an honours degree, you are only entitled to a maintenance loan for Medicine. This could be BsC(H), BA(H), anything.

Well considering I have just sorted out my student finance for the same situation, I would hope that it is correct, as are the people I have spoke to at the SLC on multiple occasions.
Reply 7
Original post by Taiko
It's also wrong advice.

:yes: I could only get a maintenance loan and had to cover my tuition fees myself.

Well considering I have just sorted out my student finance for the same situation, I would hope that it is correct, as are the people I have spoke to at the SLC on multiple occasions.

There is a huge disparity. Some people on my course initially got told they would get a loan for fees which was then withdrawn and some were told they weren't allowed it. There is currently a judicial review going on. More info on this on new media.
Reply 8
That judicial review will not succeed. It's not ELQ that rules them out of the fee support. It's Paragraphs 20(b) & 20(c) of The Education (Student Support) Regulations 2009 which states that a student is not eligible for a fee loan if they already hold an honours degree, and this does apply to medicine.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009/1555/regulation/20/made

If the people at SFE have said you are entitled, then I'm afraid they are wrong.
Reply 9
This is all very confusing, legislations saying you can't get it, but the SLC staff and the student finance entitlement calculator is saying you can get both a tuition fee and maintenance loan.
Reply 10
SLC staff are wrong. Unfortunately, this happens way too often. Didn't happen in my assessment days, we were perfect!
Reply 11
I'm a graduate who has been accepted on the 5yr course at king's..will i be entitled to the fifth year NHS bursary that normal undergrads get??
Reply 12

This is all very confusing, legislations saying you can't get it, but the SLC staff and the student finance entitlement calculator is saying you can get both a tuition fee and maintenance loan.

Well the calculator is just a computer. It doesn't know your situation, it's supposed to just be a rough guide. Sadly whoever you've spoken to on the phone has given you duff advice as you are certainly NOT entitled to a tuition fee loan.
Reply 13
Original post by Carr-Agger

Original post by Carr-Agger
I'm a graduate who has been accepted on the 5yr course at king's..will i be entitled to the fifth year NHS bursary that normal undergrads get??

Yes you'll get the bursary as normal.

I could only get a maintenance loan as a graduate entrant to medicine.

It would be great if SLC did give you the fee loan and maintenance loan but maybe figure out a plan B so that you can take up your place on the course even if they don't.
Original post by alibee
Well the calculator is just a computer. It doesn't know your situation, it's supposed to just be a rough guide. Sadly whoever you've spoken to on the phone has given you duff advice as you are certainly NOT entitled to a tuition fee loan.

Ok thanks, it did go through asking about previous degree and whether my second one was medicine and so forth and still said a may get it, so I put my faith into both it and the staff at SLC. Ah well thank you for clearing it up.

Original post by IndiePixie
I could only get a maintenance loan as a graduate entrant to medicine.

It would be great if SLC did give you the fee loan and maintenance loan but maybe figure out a plan B so that you can take up your place on the course even if they don't.

Yeah, truly would be nice, but looks as though it isn't going to happen. I have a plan B in place in that my parents are going to pay for the tuition fees, which I was hoping they wouldn't have to as they are going to be fronting my accommodation fees too. But in the christmas and summer breaks my old part-time job said they would take me on as soon as I'm back on a temporary contract so the wages I make from that I can contribute back to my rents. Fortunately, I'm on a 6 year course where the Department of Health pay for my 5th and 6th year tuition fees (WINNING!!??) Thanks for the info.

Original post by Taiko
SLC staff are wrong. Unfortunately, this happens way too often. Didn't happen in my assessment days, we were perfect!

Thank you for the info too.
Reply 16
Original post by Taiko
That judicial review will not succeed. It's not ELQ that rules them out of the fee support. It's Paragraphs 20(b) & 20(c) of The Education (Student Support) Regulations 2009 which states that a student is not eligible for a fee loan if they already hold an honours degree, and this does apply to medicine.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009/1555/regulation/20/made

If the people at SFE have said you are entitled, then I'm afraid they are wrong.

What if you have previously studied at HE level Taiko, but did not actually attain the degree? I am looking to apply to to dentistry instead of medicine, but I believe that the rules are the same?
Reply 17
Indeed, if you hold an honours degree, it's restricted support.
Reply 18
Original post by Taiko
Indeed, if you hold an honours degree, it's restricted support.

Hi Taiko, thank you for the swift response :smile:

What if you do not actually hold the degree? I left in 2008 from a course I started in 2004, doing it part-time....I received a few hundred pounds a year from my LEA as the part-time course fees were much lower, and this was never intended to be paid back?

The position I'm in is that while I have studied at HE level, I did not get the qualification (the highest qual I currently hold is the Access course) and I did not receive a tuition fee loan from the SLC....It was also three years ago that I left the course?

In your opinion ,what would be my best option to obtain a tuition fee loan?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending