The Student Room Group

I don't want to drink when I'm out.

All right.

So pretty much every time I've been going out to the pub and clubbing and drinking I always come home depressed. Some nights are worse than others, much worse.

So, exam time is upon me and after (hopefully) passing them all there shall be some mad boozing happenin'. Obviously, I want to party and celebrate, but I'm afraid of getting a super downer and feeling like doom and gloom.

Obviously alcohol amplifies emotions so either I should not drink or completely change my mindset.

However, how do I deal with the peer pressure of drinking?
Is being sober while everyone else is drunk even fun?
Tips;

1) Be yourself, do what you enjoy; and if you don't like drinking don't

2) Surround yourself with 'supportive' friends, as apposed to ones you have to be like to fit in

3) Find alternative ways of enjoyement

4) Find friends who dont drink alcohol. I'm Muslim, and have an awesome time without drink, or clubs (although I can appreciate peer pressure can be hard)

5) Relax ... Don't worry
Reply 2
Do what you want.

I very rarely drink and nobody makes a big deal out of it. People ocasionally offer to buy me drinks and I'll ask for a tap water instead, at most I'll get a surprised look for a couple of seconds. No one really minds if you don't and probably won't even notice.
Original post by phil23
All right.

So pretty much every time I've been going out to the pub and clubbing and drinking I always come home depressed. Some nights are worse than others, much worse.

So, exam time is upon me and after (hopefully) passing them all there shall be some mad boozing happenin'. Obviously, I want to party and celebrate, but I'm afraid of getting a super downer and feeling like doom and gloom.

Obviously alcohol amplifies emotions so either I should not drink or completely change my mindset.

However, how do I deal with the peer pressure of drinking?
Is being sober while everyone else is drunk even fun?

If you really don't want to drink, then don't drink, it's as easy as that. All pubs, clubs and bars serve soft drinks. Tell your mates your not drinking so they won't buy you alcohol and if you think someone might buy you alcohol, don't let them buy you a drink. If someone does buy you alcohol don't feel you have to drink it. I told a friend that I was teetotal and she bought me cocktails trying to make me drink and when we left there were at least 3 full cocktails on the table cos I wouldn't drink them. If your friends are not going to respect your conscious choice not to drink they are not your real friends.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending