The Student Room Group

I'm gay but hate the LGBT acronym

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tommyjw
Ye because people who completely exclude one gender altogether are somehow less attention seeking than people who have an interest in both.... ?
Great logic right there.

wat
It has always confused me that LGBT people would all want a little group to hang around together in. How the hell is your sexuality a legitimate interest to meet up over? In my experience they are largely full of dull and boring people, who have nothing even vaguely interesting about them. They let homosexuality define them as a person, which in my eyes is no different to the big fat 'geezers' who drink 20 pints and fanatically watch football.

I think it's LGBT because gender issues for a lot of gays are wrapped up with homosexuality. Hence the camp annoying voices, and the doc martin lumberjack women.
Original post by Anonymous
It has always confused me that LGBT people would all want a little group to hang around together in. How the hell is your sexuality a legitimate interest to meet up over? In my experience they are largely full of dull and boring people, who have nothing even vaguely interesting about them. They let homosexuality define them as a person, which in my eyes is no different to the big fat 'geezers' who drink 20 pints and fanatically watch football.

I think it's LGBT because gender issues for a lot of gays are wrapped up with homosexuality. Hence the camp annoying voices, and the doc martin lumberjack women.

get off your high horse.
straight people all hang round in 'little groups' together so why cant gay people.
alot of homosexual people tend to have more in common.
and mainly its because they like to campaign about their rights and stuff.
most gay people aren't like that.
you cant possibly understand homosexuality unless you identify as it so dont try.
Reply 23
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
This, unfortunately even gays can be arse holes.

Even gays! You don't say. This has come as a shock to me.
Reply 24
Original post by kellymichelle

you cant possibly understand homosexuality unless you identify as it so dont try.

Probably the singlemost stupid, inaccurate and ill-informed statement I have ever read on TSR and believe me there has been a lot of competition.

I go to gay bars, I go out with my gay mates, I go to LGBT Pride, that doesn't mean homosexuality defines me. It means the gay bars I go to are a good night out (as are the "normal" bars I go to with my friends), it means the gay people I go out with are my friends, not "fellow gays", and it means that frankly I would like to be treated as equal to everybody else and be proud of who I am (part of which is homosexual).

I don't define as gay, I define as Sam.
Its not about having a social group, it is an anti discrimination thing.
And gender issues? Seriously? Who has more issues, the person who knows who they are and does what they want, or the person who obsessively trys to appear normal?
Original post by Elipsis
Even gays! You don't say. This has come as a shock to me.

Gosh, you're so funny!

Unfortunately, some people need reminding. :colonhash:
maybe some of the idiots that came into your bar. but thats why i said "on the whole"

Why did you neg me just for saying that I knew gay men who hated lesbians?
Reply 29
Original post by Phebec
I really don't enjoy being lumped in with bisexuals and transgenders, who I feel are nothing more than attention seekers

We don't like you either, don't worry.

I honestly don't understand the whole 'bisexuality is attention-seeking' thing. How is it seeking attention to find different types of people attractive? As for transphobia, it's pretty much endemic in society, but it's a shame you felt the urge to join in.
Reply 30
I go to gay bars, I go out with my gay mates, I go to LGBT Pride, that doesn't mean homosexuality defines me. It means the gay bars I go to are a good night out (as are the "normal" bars I go to with my friends), it means the gay people I go out with are my friends, not "fellow gays", and it means that frankly I would like to be treated as equal to everybody else and be proud of who I am (part of which is homosexual).

What this person said.

Your sexual orientation is a part of you. It does not define you, but it contributes to who you are. And as such people cannot be viewed as different merely because their sexual orientation is this, that, or the other.
But without you they'd just be a BLT!
get off your high horse.
straight people all hang round in 'little groups' together so why cant gay people.
alot of homosexual people tend to have more in common.
and mainly its because they like to campaign about their rights and stuff.
most gay people aren't like that.

I understand being straight, and I don't meet up with my pals for a chat about it on a weekly basis. There is very little reason why a gay would have more in common with another gay, unless they let the fact they are homosexual dictate their hobbies i.e. enjoying fashion. Like I said it's like LADs, all being immersed in football. Normal straight people meet up over stuff they enjoy rather than the fact their straight, and a lot of these clubs also have gay members too. If people met up at a fashion club and the majority of them were gay I could at least understand that.
Original post by OrangeSocks
But without you they'd just be a BLT!

Oh but come on, BLT is DAMN TASTY
Original post by Ataloss
Probably the singlemost stupid, inaccurate and ill-informed statement I have ever read on TSR and believe me there has been a lot of competition.

erm nah,
its true.
just like anything.
you cant possibly truly understand transexuality if you arent one.
you cant understand things unless youve been through them yourself.
and your comment there just proves it.
you dont know jack about it.
Reply 35
if you were really gay you wouldnt have this closeminded opinion. i dont believe you're gay for even a second. gay people as a whole are alot more accepting of people especially those that fit into lgbtq. you would understand that just like being gay, being trans or bisexual is not a choice. you would be telling people that you cant help who you are attracted too, so why cant some people be attracted to both sexes?
do you think some people would spend thousands of pounds on sugery and go through all the bullying, and the comeing out, and all the isolation and rejection if they didnt truly believe they were born in the wrong body.
idiot.

'All gay people are on the whole more accepting...?' oh, i see....... You sound like your struggling to come out the closet or assume all LGBT people have had the same bullied/neglected/abnormal life probably like you had/have.

Talk about close-minded.
I understand being straight, and I don't meet up with my pals for a chat about it on a weekly basis. There is very little reason why a gay would have more in common with another gay, unless they let the fact they are homosexual dictate their hobbies i.e. enjoying fashion. Like I said it's like LADs, all being immersed in football. Normal straight people meet up over stuff they enjoy rather than the fact their straight, and a lot of these clubs also have gay members too. If people met up at a fashion club and the majority of them were gay I could at least understand that.

we dont meet up to talk about the fact we're all gay.
Original post by EggmanD
'All gay people are on the whole more accepting...?' oh, i see....... You sound like your struggling to come out the closet or assume all LGBT people have had the same bullied/neglected/abnormal life probably like you had/have.

Talk about close-minded.

completely out of the closet + never been bullied.
FAIL.

I never said anything against going out to gay bars. Going to a straight bar for a homosexual is about as likely to get them laid as a straight person going to a gay bar, so it makes sense. I just don't understand why a gay builder would instantly get along with a gay lawyer. If they were straight they would never talk or associate unless the builder was on trial. Homosexuals hiving themselves off in these closed communities, like San Francisco, just means that all the other communities have fewer gays and without any gays around them to challenge their prejudice and beliefs the acceptance and equality you claim to crave gets further out of reach.

Hitler made a nice little group of people who were proud to be white, look where that got us. Pride in something you were born being is ridiculous. I'm so proud I have blue eyes, i'm gonna go make a club about it, where they understand what it's like to have blue eyes in a brown eyed world.
I never said anything against going out to gay bars. Going to a straight bar for a homosexual is about as likely to get them laid as a straight person going to a gay bar, so it makes sense. I just don't understand why a gay builder would instantly get along with a gay lawyer. If they were straight they would never talk or associate unless the builder was on trial. Homosexuals hiving themselves off in these closed communities, like San Francisco, just means that all the other communities have fewer gays and without any gays around them to challenge their prejudice and beliefs the acceptance and equality you claim to crave gets further out of reach.

Hitler made a nice little group of people who were proud to be white, look where that got us. Pride in something you were born being is ridiculous. I'm so proud I have blue eyes, i'm gonna go make a club about it, where they understand what it's like to have blue eyes in a brown eyed world.

bit of a difference.
you dont get discriminated against for your eye colour.
alot of people do get discriminated against for being gay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending