The Student Room Group

Low GCSEs, with high A level expectations

I slacked my GCSE grades and now I'm paying for it. Currently wish to study at a top university, predicted AAAA (bio, chem, maths, further maths) and hoping to do physics AS and A2 in one year, next year, during my A2s (carrying on all but further maths to A2). This may seem (modesty aside) impressive, but my GCSE grades aren't as up to scratch unfortunately.

I received A*A*A*AAABBBDD at GCSE, which I know isn't a bad set of GCSEs, but I don't think it's up to the standards of top universities. Beating around the bush aside, how likely are my chances of sensibly applying to places such as Imperial and Warwick and being accepted, or do my GCSE grades not shine enough? Are there universities that swear by GCSEs for their applicants (those I should avoid), and some others which do not consider GCSEs strongly as part of an application at all?

All help is greatly thanked!

EDIT: About the GCSE grades, more concerned if they're Imperial/Warwick standard? Don't wanna sound like a bitch whining about 3A*s and 3As, I'm happy personally but idk if top universities would be happy with them. Also, I'm looking to do biomedical engineering/engineering related courses (aeronautics caught my eye in the Imperial prospectus!), hence why I'm putting emphasis on doing full physics next year :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends what course you are looking to do.
Reply 2
Original post by Nickyy
I slacked my GCSE grades and now I'm paying for it. Currently wish to study at a top university, predicted AAAA (bio, chem, maths, further maths) and hoping to do physics AS and A2 in one year, next year, during my A2s (carrying on all but further maths to A2). This may seem (modesty aside) impressive, but my GCSE grades aren't as up to scratch unfortunately.

I received A*A*A*AAABBBDD at GCSE, which I know isn't a bad set of GCSEs, but I don't think it's up to the standards of top universities. Beating around the bush aside, how likely are my chances of sensibly applying to places such as Imperial and Warwick and being accepted, or do my GCSE grades not shine enough? Are there universities that swear by GCSEs for their applicants (those I should avoid), and some others which do not consider GCSEs strongly as part of an application at all?

Lawls.

I got AAABBBBBBC at our equivalent of GCSEs, and I got warwick and imperial offers. Bad? Hardly.

_Kar.
To be fair, GCSEs are considered to some degree at every university so there is no easy option per se
Reply 4
It'll set you back if you're applying for something as competitive as medicine, but otherwise I don't think you should worry :smile:
Original post by Nickyy

They're not low.

See my sig for low GCSEs ha...
Reply 6
Hi, I got much poorer GCSEs, only 1 A*, couple of As and the rest Bs and Cs and I got an offer from Imperial etc,

In my opinion, it is a really strong personal statement that is important..why you are perfect for their course..previous experience and your outstanding qualities.

Go for it..or you will regret it:biggrin:

Good luck
Reply 7
Original post by Kareir
Lawls.

I got AAABBBBBBC at our equivalent of GCSEs, and I got warwick and imperial offers. Bad? Hardly.

_Kar.

Sorry, I was trying not to be condescending! I didn't think they're too great, you hear about 14A* students so much that it makes my GCSE grades seem depressing, haha. Brilliant though, I love hearing about individual stories like that, boosts my confidence about these things. What grades did you get at AS/A2, what predicted grades did you bring to the universities, and what course(s) were you applying for?
Reply 8
ha ha wah?? ur gcse's are bloody brill man, wah u worryin bout!!
i got 2 A's 5b's and a D (bloody french! :angry:) in GCSEs, yet i got an offer to study at UCL and warwick. Ur gcse's are fine, unless u wanna do medicine at b'ham, oxford, cambridge.
Reply 9
Theyr are really really good ! trust me, many people wish to have gcses like you ! Focus on your a levels if they are sky high you can even apply oxbridge Bless.
Reply 10
Original post by 1ILF234
Hi, I got much poorer GCSEs, only 1 A*, couple of As and the rest Bs and Cs and I got an offer from Imperial etc,

In my opinion, it is a really strong personal statement that is important..why you are perfect for their course..previous experience and your outstanding qualities.

Good luck

Original post by Kareir
Lawls.

_Kar.

:redface: which courses did you guys get accepted onto Imperial for? They sent me a rejection on Monday, and I thought it was my IGCSE grades which hindered me!
Reply 11
Original post by Elwyn
Depends what course you are looking to do.

Considering bio- medical/chemistry/engineering (that sorta group) at Imperial, Warwick, Queen Mary, Hull, KCL etc. as well as looking at aeronautics at Imperial. It's mostly engineer-based degrees, with biomedical engineering as a hopeful career (depending on what I do)

Original post by 1ILF234

Good luck

Original post by ms94uk
Theyr are really really good ! trust me, many people wish to have gcses like you ! Focus on your a levels if they are sky high you can even apply oxbridge Bless.

These kinda comments have given me hope! Always come to TSR when I'm feeling underachieved, always help me to see the positives. Thank you for the advice also, I guess interviews and PSes are something I should be worrying aobut more than GCSEs, can't change my GCSEs now >.<. Thanks again!
Reply 12
Original post by Nickyy
Sorry, I was trying not to be condescending! I didn't think they're too great, you hear about 14A* students so much that it makes my GCSE grades seem depressing, haha. Brilliant though, I love hearing about individual stories like that, boosts my confidence about these things. What grades did you get at AS/A2, what predicted grades did you bring to the universities, and what course(s) were you applying for?

Original post by mir3a
:redface: which courses did you guys get accepted onto Imperial for? They sent me a rejection on Monday, and I thought it was my IGCSE grades which hindered me!

Well, I'm actually an IB kid, but my predicted grades are in my sig. I got offers for general engineering at Warwick, and Aeronautical at Imperial.

_Kar.
Reply 13
Your GCSE's are fine. And for the most part universities don't care (and that includes the top universities).
Reply 14
Original post by Kareir
Well, I'm actually an IB kid, but my predicted grades are in my sig. I got offers for general engineering at Warwick, and Aeronautical at Imperial.

_Kar.

oh coolio! International or home student then? I was predicted A*A*A*AAab, thought it will lead me in good stead, but obviously not lol. Was maybe my personal statement then.
Reply 15
Well, Irish, I'm technically Home EU, so I don't pay more, I don't think..

And yeah, it must have been the statement. In mine, i basically said that my 'GCSEs' were bad cos it was so easy it was boring, and I had no motivation to learn. I also said I play ukelele, I think :tongue:

_Kar.
Reply 16
Original post by Kareir
Well, Irish, I'm technically Home EU, so I don't pay more, I don't think..

And yeah, it must have been the statement. In mine, i basically said that my 'GCSEs' were bad cos it was so easy it was boring, and I had no motivation to learn. I also said I play ukelele, I think :tongue:

_Kar.

hahah smart move with the GCSE reason :wink:
Got my GCSE exams coming up this Summer. This just motivated me NOT to screw up.
Reply 18
Same I must not flop either I have had 6 exams already I'm in yr 10, I'm predicted A*A*A*A*A*A*A A B for this years EXAMS, don't know about next years exams, yet.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL YOU OLDER GUYS!
Reply 19
Original post by 1ILF234

Original post by 1ILF234

Good luck

Which course did you apply for in Imperial?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending