The Student Room Group

Had my license revoked - only been driving for..

Three weeks :frown:

First was when my young sister had a fit in the middle of the night. I was so worried that I didn't want to wait for an ambulance so I rushed her into hospital. I was as safe as I could be despite my panic but was doing 40 I'm a 30 zone. I didn't see the speed camera until it was too late and only managed to get my speed down to 35. I thought i could appeal this because of the 10% speed rule and the circumstances but I got 3 points and a fine. I understand that it was stupid but it was the middle of the night and I was so worried about the little'un :frown:

The 2nd happened a few days ago - I went through an amber because this guy was tailgating me and I was so scared he'd crash into me if I stopped. But just as I went through it turned to a red light and it just so happens to be the first lights ive ever seen with a camera.

I can't believe I've lost my license just 3 weeks after passing :frown: :frown: do you think that's some sort of record? Certainly not one I'm proud of :frown: sorry for the rant guys

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
haha rinsed
Should have tried to get a mitigation for the first one, otherwise unlucky mate.

I have a friend something similar happened to, he immediately rebooked his test and was driving again in 4 months, albeit with higher insurance.
Reply 3
Maybe you will learn to follow the rules of the road then... they are there for a reason!
Reply 4
that's an absolute joke... gutted mate
Reply 5
I do follow the rules of the road, I was just so worried :frown:

I'm so gutted, I learnt to drive so I could take care of my sis because my mum passed last year and now I just feel like the worst person in the world. I know I can retake but it's just a pain. My fault I know :frown:
Reply 6
There is no 10% speed rule.
Damn, that sucks.
Reply 8
It's not all that bad, now you don't have to:

-pay higher petrol prices
-premium insurance
-road tax

Think of the savings you'll make.
Original post by Furgo
Three weeks :frown:

First was when my young sister had a fit in the middle of the night. I was so worried that I didn't want to wait for an ambulance so I rushed her into hospital. I was as safe as I could be despite my panic but was doing 40 I'm a 30 zone. I didn't see the speed camera until it was too late and only managed to get my speed down to 35. I thought i could appeal this because of the 10% speed rule and the circumstances but I got 3 points and a fine. I understand that it was stupid but it was the middle of the night and I was so worried about the little'un :frown:

The 2nd happened a few days ago - I went through an amber because this guy was tailgating me and I was so scared he'd crash into me if I stopped. But just as I went through it turned to a red light and it just so happens to be the first lights ive ever seen with a camera.

I can't believe I've lost my license just 3 weeks after passing :frown: :frown: do you think that's some sort of record? Certainly not one I'm proud of :frown: sorry for the rant guys

awww i feel your pain, that is really bloody harsh but unfortunately rules are there for a reason. It's true just about everyone speeds (don't lie) but getting caught is a bummer.

My nephew got his license revoked too recently. He deserved it. It's so expensive to retake.

Just to add in future, don't let these pricks that tailgate you bother you. Screw them. Concentrate on your driving, do things in your time. Just think "I pay road tax, I pay insurance, I am entitled to be on the road and to drive MY way." This is the main thing that intimidates new drivers.
Reply 10
Original post by silent ninja
awww i feel your pain, that is really bloody harsh but unfortunately rules are there for a reason. It's true just about everyone speeds (don't lie) but getting caught is a bummer.

My nephew got his license revoked too recently. He deserved it. It's so expensive to retake.

Just to add in future, don't let these pricks that tailgate you bother you. Screw them. Concentrate on your driving, do things in your time. Just think "I pay road tax, I pay insurance, I am entitled to be on the road and to drive MY way." This is the main thing that intimidates new drivers.

Thank you so much for your post. I know they were my fault and I'll learn from them xx
Could you not try and claim exemptions/get a mitigation for the first one, as already stated?
Ignore the guys tailgating in future. I know how close they get, I got speed camera'd because I had one up my arse and was too scared to slow down too, so I know that part of the feeling.

But then realised, they tend to be overconfident dicks in big flashy cars. They know they can get away with it because of the size of the cars, but they also know how close they can get and don't want to damage them. Just tap your brakes so they come a little closer and they back right off. Your car is worth nothing in comparison, they don't risk it.

Good luck getting it sorted.
Original post by fwed1
Maybe you will learn to follow the rules of the road then... they are there for a reason!

Exactly.
I know you did have different circumstances but you still should follow the rules.
Tailgaters piss me right off...do that to me and I will literally go at 20mph...but I guess as a new driver its difficult to have the confidence not to be pushed by them.

I think you just had bad luck, dont feel too bad and just take your test again :sad: Sorry that you have been so unfortunate.

And to those people saying "follow the rules" if a member of your family was seriously ill and you were driving them into hospital, if you thought they were in danger are you seriously telling me you would drive at 30mph ALL of the time (presuming thats the limit?) i think thats being a bit pious and for 90% of people is a lie.
Reply 15
I understand the circumstances but a very new driver that has to obey the speed limits vs an experienced ambulance driver with flashing blue lights... eh, I don't think you would be able to get a mitigation for that. It's not even as though you were really rushing if you were going 40, but if you were going any faster you'd be endangering yourself and your sister. I guess acting on instinct it was the right thing to do and hindsight is 20/20 so I'm sure you'll get plenty of criticism here. All I can say is I wish you the best in getting your license back and remember the rules are there and we have a free emergency services with highly trained personnel for a reason.
Original post by fwed1

She was taking her sister to hospital. I imagine most people would do the same when put in that position, I certainly would.
Original post by Evil Monkey
Ignore the guys tailgating in future. I know how close they get, I got speed camera'd because I had one up my arse and was too scared to slow down too, so I know that part of the feeling.

But then realised, they tend to be overconfident dicks in big flashy cars. They know they can get away with it because of the size of the cars, but they also know how close they can get and don't want to damage them. Just tap your brakes so they come a little closer and they back right off. Your car is worth nothing in comparison, they don't risk it.

Good luck getting it sorted.

Also, if they did actually crash into you from behind, it would be their fault.

THEN ITS GONNA BE COMPENSATION MONEY!! :banana2::banana2:
Reply 18
Unlucky mate. You should try to get mitigation for the first one though.
Reply 19
Original post by Phobia27
There is no 10% speed rule.

There is coz ppl generally do hjust over 30 mph so without the ten percent everybody would be paying fines all the time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending