The Student Room Group

Changing Audition Date

Okay, so I have an audition, which I am delighted about (needless to say really).

However I'm on holiday at the time, and I'm with my girlfriend. The audition could last 5 hours and she's not one to entertain herself for that long. It's also over two hours train each way, so that's up to 5 hours travelling and I've never been to the city where it is situated, so I don't know the area at all.
Add to the fact I'm transporting instruments as well as luggage (almost 5 hour train journey from home to where we're staying), and I won't be willing to take a half decent instrument through fear of damage/loss.
They have auditions the week after, however they're 'full' (it's a group process)
So basically, I need an excuse as to why I must audition the week after...
They do know that I am on holiday at the time.
Should I phone or email them about this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jackf1337

Should I phone or email them about this?

You should telephone. How else will you be able to discuss the problem?
to be honest, you've applied through Extra, whats more important to you? A holiday now or a great degree?

I think you know the answer and not quite sure why you're trying to change things. Is there a reason why you don't want to go to university this year?

Maybe take a year out and reapply?

Good luck with whatver you choose to do!
Just ring them up, thank them for the audition but that you're unavailable to attend that week as you're out of the country. Give them the dates you're going to be away for and ask if there are any outside of these.

I had to do this for an interview recently when I was given only 1 option of the day to interview on.
Reply 4
Original post by Good bloke
You should telephone. How else will you be able to discuss the problem?

Email, like I said.

Original post by ellie_flower
to be honest, you've applied through Extra, whats more important to you? A holiday now or a great degree?

I think you know the answer and not quite sure why you're trying to change things. Is there a reason why you don't want to go to university this year?

Maybe take a year out and reapply?

Good luck with whatver you choose to do!

How is this helpful?
Obviously a degree. I'm trying to change things as I'm on holiday that week and it going to be logistically difficult to transport all my stuff, are you thick? :lolwut:

Did I EVER say I didn't want to go to University/Music College this year?

Original post by hothedgehog
Just ring them up, thank them for the audition but that you're unavailable to attend that week as you're out of the country. Give them the dates you're going to be away for and ask if there are any outside of these.

I had to do this for an interview recently when I was given only 1 option of the day to interview on.

Ah at last, a half decent reply.

As I said in my OP, there are auditions the week after, however they are 'full'. They know I am on holiday but have stood firm in not letting me audition the week after.

Also I am in the country.
Email, like I said.

You have discovered a means of having an interactive discussion via email. You could make a fortune.
Reply 6
You have discovered a means of having an interactive discussion via email. You could make a fortune.

The letter states you should email if you have queries.
The letter states you should email if you have queries.

Then why have you even posted a question here, if the university gave you specific instructions that already answer your question? I'd still telephone anyway. You need to discuss and close the matter, not have an interminable series of exchanges with delays between each side of the conversation.
Reply 8
Then why have you even posted a question here, if the university gave you specific instructions that already answer your question? I'd still telephone anyway. You need to discuss and close the matter, not have an interminable series of exchanges with delays between each side of the conversation.

I'm going to email as the institute has several telephone numbers and it's been a mission to speak to the person you'd like to.

Do you agree with changing the date? Will this affect the way they view my application?

They seriously mucked me around. I withdrew from UCAS to go into Extra, after emailing to check if there's space on the course (which there apparently was) then they turn around and say the course closed before I applied :lolwut: so I complained like hell and they gave me an audition.
I'm going to email as the institute has several telephone numbers and it's been a mission to speak to the person you'd like to.

Do you agree with changing the date? Will this affect the way they view my application?

They seriously mucked me around.

Are you sure it wasn't the other way round. A bit like negging someone and then asking them for more advice?
Reply 10
Are you sure it wasn't the other way round. A bit like negging someone and then asking them for more advice?

Yes positive.
This institute was my number 1, I was unsuccessful on another of there courses. So I decided to email them to double check if there was space on a different course, which they said yes. So I withdrew from all open applications and applied there, to be told a couple of days later that they course closed before I applied. As a compensation, they offered me an audition. I just don't know if I'm doing the right thing.
Ah **** sorry I didn't mean to neg you :facepalm: I meant to neg someone else XD I'll rep you when it'll let me...
Why not just tell them the truth?
Reply 12
Original post by TheSownRose
Why not just tell them the truth?

They would only consider changing it in 'exceptional' circumstances
They would only consider changing it in 'exceptional' circumstances

Then come up with something exceptional. :rolleyes:

Spoiler

Reply 14
Then come up with something exceptional. :rolleyes:

Spoiler

I probably will, but after all that's happened with this application, I fear that this may affect it.

My girlfriend is really pissed that this has happened, and she's not someone to entertain herself for 5 hours. I'm just really stressed about the whole thing :frown:

I get the whole 'putting up with it' but that's practically been the story of my life this academic year and I bite the bullet and give in all too often.
(edited 13 years ago)
I probably will, but after all that's happened with this application, I fear that this may affect it.

My girlfriend is really pissed that this has happened, and she's not someone to entertain herself for 5 hours. I'm just really stressed about the whole thing :frown:

I get the whole 'putting up with it' but that's practically been the story of my life this academic year and I bite the bullet and give in all too often.

I'll be blunt: if I was the person organising auditions and I knew that someone was wanting to change due to holiday, I'd be very suspicious if they then came out with a sudden family death or serious illness that coincided with said holiday.

Your girlfriend is what, seventeen or eighteen, older possibly? She may not be happy about it, but I'm sure she can keep herself amused for a while at that age, there's enough to do in Leeds.

I can sympathise on that point, but sometimes you have to be strategic. You have the chance to get what you really want out of this, it's worth biting the bullet.

Ah at last, a half decent reply.

As I said in my OP, there are auditions the week after, however they are 'full'. They know I am on holiday but have stood firm in not letting me audition the week after.

Also I am in the country.

Just tell them you're out of the country because that way it makes it impossible to get back to audition. They could be pissy if you're still in England. They should always have options for another date, they can't expect you to be free on your first possible thing. Ring or email them politely asking for another date.
Ever heard the phrase "don't look a gift horse in the mouth"? You got an audition when there were technically none to be had, so I seriously doubt that the uni will change your audition date. As for the girlfriend, chuck her some cash and point her in the direction of Harvey Nich's.
Reply 18
I'll be blunt: if I was the person organising auditions and I knew that someone was wanting to change due to holiday, I'd be very suspicious if they then came out with a sudden family death or serious illness that coincided with said holiday.

Your girlfriend is what, seventeen or eighteen, older possibly? She may not be happy about it, but I'm sure she can keep herself amused for a while at that age, there's enough to do in Leeds.

I can sympathise on that point, but sometimes you have to be strategic. You have the chance to get what you really want out of this, it's worth biting the bullet.

Yeah but it's not as if they can deny it, is it? That's not the point but overall I'm not very happy about going to a city that I've been nowhere near in my life, and trying to locate a music college etc. London, Birmingham, fine, been there both gazillions of times, but I can't remember the last time I went up north, talk about anywhere near Leeds. It's really been stressing me out, I have a lot on my plate with coursework and exams and I just need piece of mind.

Original post by hothedgehog
Just tell them you're out of the country because that way it makes it impossible to get back to audition. They could be pissy if you're still in England. They should always have options for another date, they can't expect you to be free on your first possible thing. Ring or email them politely asking for another date.

They know I'm in Liverpool (I say 'they', I've only communicated with one person about it, but the person dealing with it is someone different). But yeah, I can try.

Original post by Becca-Sarah
Ever heard the phrase "don't look a gift horse in the mouth"? You got an audition when there were technically none to be had, so I seriously doubt that the uni will change your audition date. As for the girlfriend, chuck her some cash and point her in the direction of Harvey Nich's.

True, but they had there course open when it was apparently 'full'. Tit for tat yes, but I've been pushed over enough.
Reply 19

I'd've said just buy her a book!

Surely she knows how important this is, and it's only a few hours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending