The Student Room Group

Is chewing gum really unhealthy for you?

I not much of a chewer but one of my friends is chewing gum almost all the time! I heard that it can be bad for your digestive system but I'm not sure, but I also heard that it's good to chew gum after a big meal.

Scroll to see replies

I heard that it creates holes in your stomach. Don't know if that's true or not.
Reply 3
It's bad to swallow gum but not to chew it. Only because it doesn't get digested because it's plastic, it just sits there in your system for years...
Reply 4
I've just read an article about how excessive chewing of sugar free gum can cause a severe laxative effect and unhealthy weight loss :confused:
Reply 5
Original post by *Dreaming*
I heard that it creates holes in your stomach. Don't know if that's true or not.

wtf ? biggest BS.

Loads of people would be dying if it was.
It's fine, just don't swallow :wink:
Original post by Obadetona
It's bad to swallow gum but not to chew it. Only because it doesn't get digested because it's plastic, it just sits there in your system for years...

Chewing gum is made of plastic????? :afraid:
Original post by uer23
wtf ? biggest BS.

Maybe not holes but I think it can make ulcers in your stomach because excessive chewing can cause more acid produced then needed which can be damaging. But this would take a long time to happen.
Reply 9
Original post by Novis
I not much of a chewer but one of my friends is chewing gum almost all the time! I heard that it can be bad for your digestive system but I'm not sure, but I also heard that it's good to chew gum after a big meal.

Chewing gum releases acid in your digestive system, because your body thinks it is chewing food, obviously you don't swallow the gum, so the acid has nothing to digest, so it will erode the stomach. Thats also why I think its good to chew gum after a big meal, it aids digestion.
Original post by Sai4
Chewing gum releases acid in your digestive system, because your body thinks it is chewing food, obviously you don't swallow the gum, so the acid has nothing to digest, so it will erode the stomach. Thats also why I think its good to chew gum after a big meal, it aids digestion.
Wouldn't you just get hungry again if that was the case?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Sai4

Actually, it's because it helps to clean your teeth as you are producing saliva which dislodges bits of food that are stuck. But you're only meant to chew gum for a few minutes after the meal.
NO. It's amazing! Just don't swallow. :sexface:
Reply 13
Original post by girl_in_black
Actually, it's because it helps to clean your teeth as you are producing saliva which dislodges bits of food that are stuck. But you're only meant to chew gum for a few minutes after the meal.

Or, just maybe, it could be both.
Original post by xEndeavors
It's fine, just don't swallow :wink:

Actually that is a misconception. If you chew sugar free gum it isn't advised to swallow it, but in case you do the worse thing that can happen is an upset stomach, due to your digestive system not being able to break down the chewing gum properly.

If you however chew gum which isn't sugar free it is fine, as your body breaks the sugar down like any other normal sugar filled snack.
Reply 15
There's loads of rumours about chewing gum, like seriously can chewing something really cause you harm, now swallowing it is a different matter.
Original post by uer23
wtf ? biggest BS.

nah its true, when u basicly chew to eat food your body releases acids to break down the food, when your chewing gum your not really eating any food and so the acid continues to be released, with no food for the acid to break down it starts to digest your own stomach, peace.
Reply 17
Original post by pinda.college
Wouldn't you just get hungry again if that was the case?

Maybe...But I don't know.
Reply 18
I chew gum all the time... meh
Original post by Obadetona

LIE!
it goes through your digestive system same speed as anything else...just your stomache cant digest it so it leaves same as it goes in which is a bit eeww.... like if you swallow a pound it doesnt just sit inside you FOREVER.....(we thought my sister had once... she had just put it down her nappy which is obviously the really logical thing to do *rolls eyes*)
x x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending