The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by Groat
Ah Clare sounds nice, I like the look of St. Johns and Trinity. The squash courts are drawing me in!

I know that Oxbridge isn't everything - I quite like UCL's international programme, but I realise the chances are slim due to the number of places! I need to think about visiting some insurance choices: York, Durham and Birmingham are on my mind at the minute!

What do you think about Bath? I really like the look of the course there, Nottingham looks really good too.
Hey guys if i'm being optimistic i'm gonna apply for Economics at:

Cambridge (Magdalene)
Durham
Exeter
Bristol
Southampton
My January Modules were fairly good. (with the exception of Biology

99/100 Economics Unit 1
89/100 Biology Unit 1
94/100 Chemistry Unit 1

If anyone can give me any advice, i would really really appretiate it... thanks
Reply 282
Original post by tateco
What do you think about Bath? I really like the look of the course there, Nottingham looks really good too.

I have considered Bath, but I can't afford to apply to all A*AA universities! I haven't thought about Nottingham, but I hear it's become more and more competitive.

Original post by crazycake93

Cambridge (Magdalene)
Durham
Exeter
Bristol
Southampton

99/100 Economics Unit 1
89/100 Biology Unit 1
94/100 Chemistry Unit 1

Your grades are looking pretty good so far! What board are you taking Economics on as I didn't think you could get 99 UMS! I wouldn't worry too much about Biology, as long as you get some good marks in Maths and Further Maths you'll be well set. Have you considered Warwick, LSE, etc?
Original post by Groat
I have considered Bath, but I can't afford to apply to all A*AA universities! I haven't thought about Nottingham, but I hear it's become more and more competitive.

Your grades are looking pretty good so far! What board are you taking Economics on as I didn't think you could get 99 UMS! I wouldn't worry too much about Biology, as long as you get some good marks in Maths and Further Maths you'll be well set. Have you considered Warwick, LSE, etc?

I do AQA Economics :tongue: 2 other people in my class got 99.

Yeah i'm only doing further maths AS next year. Maths is good, 282 UMS in a mock (82 in Stats :angry:).

I'm not going to apply to LSE, UCL, Nottingham, Warwick, Bath. Because they seem to be focusing on GCSE's alot, or atleast i think so. Definatly not LSE, UCL... but from what i've been told about Warwick/Bath/Notts (that they also place emphasis on GCSE).

Cheers for that though :smile:
Reply 284
I do AQA Economics :tongue: 2 other people in my class got 99.

Yeah i'm only doing further maths AS next year. Maths is good, 282 UMS in a mock (82 in Stats :angry:).

I'm not going to apply to LSE, UCL, Nottingham, Warwick, Bath. Because they seem to be focusing on GCSE's alot, or atleast i think so. Definatly not LSE, UCL... but from what i've been told about Warwick/Bath/Notts (that they also place emphasis on GCSE).

Cheers for that though :smile:

Ah, I'm on OCR and I know 98/100 was the next best after 100 UMS.

Keep working at the Maths past papers and I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm more worried about my subjective exams - I have no clue how AQA English Literature B will end up!

If you get similar results in June, I wouldn't be put off applying to the top universities because of your GCSEs. If you can get across that you've worked much harder due to a new motivation in life, you'll have a great chance with solid AS grades.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Groat
Ah, I'm on OCR and I know 98/100 was the next best after 100 UMS.

Keep working at the Maths past papers and I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm more worried about my subjective exams - I have no clue how AQA English Literature B will end up!

If you get similar results in June, I wouldn't be put off applying to the top universities because of your GCSEs. If you can get across that you've worked much harder due to a new motivation in life, you'll have a great chance with solid AS grades.

True :P That's why I'd have Cambridge and Durham in my Application.

Yeah i'm also hearing English Lit is hard, I do History which is probably the hardest A level... in my opinion, and thats not me being biased. Other people in my school Who do Physics (and history) admit that History is by far, harder.
Reply 286
True :P That's why I'd have Cambridge and Durham in my Application.

Yeah i'm also hearing English Lit is hard, I do History which is probably the hardest A level... in my opinion, and thats not me being biased. Other people in my school Who do Physics (and history) admit that History is by far, harder.

I don't think there is a most difficult A-Level. They all have a variety of features which makes them hard; having History won't make the admissions tutors think "Crikey, that's a hard A-Level. It's much harder than Further Maths".

I wouldn't say English Literature is hard, it's just the fact that the marking seems to be so unreliable!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Groat
LSE is the only university that mentions you cannot use A2 Further Maths to fulfil the offer, so I assume it's fine elsewhere.

Again, out of curiosity, which college did you apply for/get an offer from? Did you have to submit any essays, etc?

I'm seriously thinking Cambridge now, thank you for enlightening me!

You can use A2 further maths to fulfil your offer ¬¬, plus LSE recommend you having further matsh especially doing Economics with them as its intense mathematically
Urghh this thread is not helping matters.....
Absolutely in love with Economics and planning to take it at Uni, probably just BA Economics instead of the BSc. However im not doing Maths at AS? Has that just ruined everything? Baring in mind by the time i realised Maths at AS was a requirment at many Unis it was to late to take it :/ Im planning to carry on with A2 Economics, Spanish & Law next year( drop psychology). Got 80% & 89 % in LAW1 & ECON1 in jan!
Reply 289
Original post by Iqbal007
You can use A2 further maths to fulfil your offer ¬¬, plus LSE recommend you having further matsh especially doing Economics with them as its intense mathematically

I assume you're talking about LSE!

Further Mathematics taken at A level is strongly preferred and is seen as an additional or fourth subject.

Unless I am interpreting that statement from LSE wrong, you can't use Further Maths in the A*AA offer.
Original post by Groat
I don't think there is a most difficult A-Level. They all have a variety of features which makes them hard; having History won't make the admissions tutors think "Crikey, that's a hard A-Level. It's much harder than Further Maths".

I wouldn't say English Literature is hard, it's just the fact that the marking seems to be so unreliable!

:tongue: Fair enough, hopefully i'll get sympathy from Admission Tutors for failing history... which seems inevitable..
Original post by Groat
I assume you're talking about LSE!

Unless I am interpreting that statement from LSE wrong, you can't use Further Maths in the A*AA offer.

econ.lse.ac.uk|

UCAS code: L101 BSc/Econ

Course requirement: A level Mathematics is required. A level Economics is not essential. Further Mathematics taken at A level is strongly preferred and is seen as an additional or fourth subject. Thus a combination of Mathematics, Further Mathematics and one other subject is not seen as providing the required breadth of knowledge and skills. No other specific subjects are required at A level, but we prefer traditional academic subjects to subjects such as Communication Studies, Accounting, Business Studies or Media Studies.

Usual standard offer: For students taking three A levels: grades A* A A with an A* in Mathematics. For students taking four or more A levels: grades A*A A plus a pass in a fourth A level, with an A* in Mathematics. Students taking Further Mathematics to AS level only will be required to achieve grade A.

International Baccalaureate: Diploma with 38 points including 7 6 6 at Higher level (with 7 in Mathematics)

Other qualifications are considered

Applications 2010: 3,099

First year students 2010: 177

It's seen as an additional subject, etc.... but it doesnt mean you cant use it as part of your offer. One of my further maths class guys got into for Economics... they still prefer a lot so it shouldn't make a difference as long your precidted top grades and have a very very good PS.
Absolutely in love with Economics and planning to take it at Uni, probably BA Economics with Spanish instead of the BSc. However im not doing Maths at AS? Has that just ruined everything? Baring in mind by the time i realised Maths at AS was a requirment at many Unis it was to late to take it :/ Im planning to carry on with A2 Economics, Spanish & Law next year( drop psychology). Got 80% & 89 % in LAW1 & ECON1 in jan!

ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!!:redface:
Reply 293

Cambridge (Magdalene)
Durham
Exeter
Bristol
Southampton

99/100 Economics Unit 1
89/100 Biology Unit 1
94/100 Chemistry Unit 1

You're crazy if you don't think 89/100 is good
Original post by Sugartoffee
Absolutely in love with Economics and planning to take it at Uni, probably BA Economics with Spanish instead of the BSc. However im not doing Maths at AS? Has that just ruined everything? Baring in mind by the time i realised Maths at AS was a requirment at many Unis it was to late to take it :/ Im planning to carry on with A2 Economics, Spanish & Law next year( drop psychology). Got 80% & 89 % in LAW1 & ECON1 in jan!

ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!!:redface:

I'm not going to lie about it.

You will struggle big time. I have a friend at college who was in a similar position to you and didn't have maths at AS level and they found that for the majority of universities it was a requirement and they've had to settle for some relatively poor universities. They were universities outside of the top 25 on the TAELT like City university. My advice would be to try and take at least AS Maths next year and then take a gap year and take the rest of the Maths course and even possibly an AS in Further Maths.
Original post by sqwerty
You're crazy if you don't think 89/100 is good

Yeah, but look at my GCSE's, I'd have to make up for it with a 90% avg in all my subjects.
Original post by Competencies
I'm not going to lie about it.

You will struggle big time. I have a friend at college who was in a similar position to you and didn't have maths at AS level and they found that for the majority of universities it was a requirement and they've had to settle for some relatively poor universities. They were universities outside of the top 25 on the TAELT like City university. My advice would be to try and take at least AS Maths next year and then take a gap year and take the rest of the Maths course and even possibly an AS in Further Maths.

Ah that sucks big time:mad:
But then why would some Unis write that its not a requirement? Nottingham in particular as i was looking at the BA Economics with Hispanic Studies, which i what i would have wanted to do at most unis or spanish related. So would i basically have no chance when applying later on this year?
Yeah, but look at my GCSE's, I'd have to make up for it with a 90% avg in all my subjects.

Although the top universities look at GCSE's when deciding whether to give you an offer, a strong PS and good AS grades will certainly be a more determining factor. With the modules that you have taken so far, I believe that you will achieve brilliant AS grades :biggrin:

As long as the D at GCSE wasn't in something such as maths, I am sure that you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by jamiepango
Although the top universities look at GCSE's when deciding whether to give you an offer, a strong PS and good AS grades will certainly be a more determining factor. With the modules that you have taken so far, I believe that you will achieve brilliant AS grades :biggrin:

As long as the D at GCSE wasn't in something such as maths, I am sure that you'll be fine :smile:

The D was in Spanish :P

I admit that yes the top universities will base more emphasis on AS grades, however i'm not sure i'm willing to take that risk. Though I am applying to 2 amazing uni's Durham and Cambridge. Hopefully I can atleast get an interview at Cambridge, which I can show off my keeness in Economics :tongue: (don't know if i spelt keeness right btw)
The D was in Spanish :P

I admit that yes the top universities will base more emphasis on AS grades, however i'm not sure i'm willing to take that risk. Though I am applying to 2 amazing uni's Durham and Cambridge. Hopefully I can atleast get an interview at Cambridge, which I can show off my keeness in Economics :tongue: (don't know if i spelt keeness right btw)

I agree with the risk. Only the very confident (not us) would apply for all top universities without any safe/backup options :wink:

If you are naturally confident, can express your views and argue well, then the interview would give you a great chance.

I wish you all the best! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending