The Student Room Group

Why are my sides/waist unsymmetrical? (Pic included)

Hi TSR,

I've always grown up being ashamed of my body, since recently. I grew up very skinny being underweight, I looked anorexic at the beginning of highschool. But over the last 2 years or so I've put some weight on by eating more food, and now I look a lot more normal than I used to do - and having a BMI of 20 thankfully. But I still want to gain more, which is why I've started going to the gym.

Anyway, that's not why I started this thread. I'm actually quite worried about the shape of my body. My sides around my waist seem to be unsymmetrical, my friends pointed it out when we were on holiday. And one told me that it can lead to back pains when I'm older.

Here's a picture, and it looks like I'm just leaning to the left. But I'm actually standing straight, and this is how I look unfortunately. So is there anything I can do to sort it out before it gets too late?

Thank you for your time!

Do you have a curvature in your spine or something?
I totally had this, go to a chiropractor so they can tell you one leg is longer than the other and crack you back into shape :smile: it does work, promise!
Reply 3
Original post by The TSR Star.
Do you have a curvature in your spine or something?

This.

Is that you TRYING to stand straight, or is that you just standing normally? Could just be your posture if you're standing normally.
Original post by Anonymous

Original post by Anonymous
Hi TSR,

I've always grown up being ashamed of my body, since recently. I grew up very skinny being underweight, I looked anorexic at the beginning of highschool. But over the last 2 years or so I've put some weight on by eating more food, and now I look a lot more normal than I used to do - and having a BMI of 20 thankfully. But I still want to gain more, which is why I've started going to the gym.

Anyway, that's not why I started this thread. I'm actually quite worried about the shape of my body. My sides around my waist seem to be unsymmetrical, my friends pointed it out when we were on holiday. And one told me that it can lead to back pains when I'm older.

Here's a picture, and it looks like I'm just leaning to the left. But I'm actually standing straight, and this is how I look unfortunately. So is there anything I can do to sort it out before it gets too late?

Thank you for your time!

From a medical side I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea how to help. But if you're paranoid about your body, then all I can say is you have nothing to worry about because it's totally yummy. :o:
Seriously that's around about my ideal body on a guy...
Reply 5
Go see your GP if you're worried.

They can tell you if there is anything medically wrong. If there's nothing physically wrong it could just be your posture, which if you go see a chiropractor or work on sitting and walking correctly, it could all work out fine :smile:
Reply 6
Like someone else said, you may have scoliosis. Ever had postural problems before? Go to the GP and get it checked out, it can be treated to some degree.
I have the exact same thing, only noticed it recently. Asked a trainer about it, it's just that you have an uneven pelvis (your right side is slightly higher like me) meaning you've got that indentation.

It's nothing clinically dangerous, just makes a slight aesthetic difference. I'm actually surprised those guys noticed it. It won't affect muscle growth on obliques or anything, but go to a GP anyway to see what can be done.

Quick Reply

Latest