The Student Room Group

Cheapest car insurance company for a FIAT PUNTO. (See details)

18-year-old girl, driveway parked car, 3000 miles per year estimate.
Can literally find quotes of £5000 online. Has anyone got a Fiat Punto and insurance for it?
I know somebody with one who got their quote for £2000, lives in a similar area, parks it on the road etc, and yet comparethemarket.com etc are offering me £8000 (The car is worth £500)

I must have collectively spent about 40 odd hours looking for insurance, so has anybody got any advice please, perhaps the best company to call?
I've tried most, but any advice would be much appreciated. Also, I'd rather not have a limit on driving, e.g. If given the choice £2000/year with time limits, and £2200 without them, obviously I'd go for the without, because there's a greater freedom.

I read an article about the co-operative giving good insurance to young drivers - NOT TRUE. I rang them and they offered something like £5500 for a punto (1999 or something). I know young drivers pose as a risk, but surely £5000 odd is ridiculously high for a good area, female (who is 18, not 17), has had her licence for a few months, cheap car etc? Especially since I know somebody with a quote for £2000 odd. I can't find out where her quote is from by the way, she's away for the summer.

By the way, I'm not asking for people to actually find quotes, just if anyone has any experience/ideas, it'd be really appreciated, thanks guys! x
Reply 1
When I look for insurance most of my quotes start at £2500+ and can go to ridiculous prices like £10,000+
good luck finding anything below 1800ish

Since you had your drive licens for a few months you say, it will be impossible to get any good insurance.
Reply 3
Original post by lizolove
Can literally find quotes of £5000 online. Has anyone got a Fiat Punto and insurance for it?
I know somebody with one who got their quote for £2000, lives in a similar area, parks it on the road etc, and yet comparethemarket.com etc are offering me £8000 (The car is worth £500)

I must have collectively spent about 40 odd hours looking for insurance, so has anybody got any advice please, perhaps the best company to call?
I've tried most, but any advice would be much appreciated. Also, I'd rather not have a limit on driving, e.g. If given the choice £2000/year with time limits, and £2200 without them, obviously I'd go for the without, because there's a greater freedom.

I read an article about the co-operative giving good insurance to young drivers - NOT TRUE. I rang them and they offered something like £5500 for a punto (1999 or something). I know young drivers pose as a risk, but surely £5000 odd is ridiculously high for a good area, female (who is 18, not 17), has had her licence for a few months, cheap car etc? Especially since I know somebody with a quote for £2000 odd. I can't find out where her quote is from by the way, she's away for the summer.

By the way, I'm not asking for people to actually find quotes, just if anyone has any experience/ideas, it'd be really appreciated, thanks guys! x

Don't know if this helps, but last year when I was looking I fit your exact description, and got an admiral quote for about £1400 (ish, can't quite remember), and managed to get it pushed down to about 1200 by putting my parents as additional drivers and my dad did a bit of negotiation with the company (he's already insured with them) - if your parents have insurance with a particular company then quite often they'll be prepared to drop their price a little if you speak to them in person. Good luck!
Reply 4

you should move this thread to the motoring forums, you'll get a better response :smile:
Try Admiral, always seemed cheapest to me.. few months having the licence won#t make a massive difference, i'm an 18 yr old boy had my licence a year and am struggling to get under two grand. good luck
Reply 6
Not again :rolleyes:
Reply 7

It my experience puntos are very expensive to insure. My fiend was getting stupid quotes, so we put my car down instead and his quotes dropped by over a grand. Bearing in mind his was a bog standard steel wheeled couldn't get barer punto with a 1.2 engine and mine is a 1.4 sport with alloys etc.
Reply 8
Original post by Isabobble
Don't know if this helps, but last year when I was looking I fit your exact description, and got an admiral quote for about £1400 (ish, can't quite remember), and managed to get it pushed down to about 1200 by putting my parents as additional drivers and my dad did a bit of negotiation with the company (he's already insured with them) - if your parents have insurance with a particular company then quite often they'll be prepared to drop their price a little if you speak to them in person. Good luck!

What type of car was that in please? x
Just out of interest, how big is the engine? £8,000 for any size Fiat Punto is ridiculous, but I can imagine that if it's larger than a 1.2 you'll have to pay noticeably more. Also I can understand Punto's being higher than most other Superminis because they probably have a higher crash rate (boyracers etc.)

Still, you should be able to find something reasonable.
Reply 10

My first car was a 1.2 Punto (02 plate) i was 17 years old and my insurance was £1500ish Fully Comp with Direct Line.. this was around 3 years ago though, but that's an awful lot for a Punto what you've been quoated! Up until October last year (before i sold my Punto) my insurance actually went down to £1200 with them. My average milage was 3000 like yours and i put my excess as £400. I know things have gone up but jeez that's gone up by a lot!
Reply 11
Original post by ra-ra-ra
My first car was a 1.2 Punto (02 plate) i was 17 years old and my insurance was £1500ish Fully Comp with Direct Line.. this was around 3 years ago though, but that's an awful lot for a Punto what you've been quoated! Up until October last year (before i sold my Punto) my insurance actually went down to £1200 with them. My average milage was 3000 like yours and i put my excess as £400. I know things have gone up but jeez that's gone up by a lot!

I'm struggling to find quotes less than £4000 now, utter disappointment.
My parents spent so much on driving lessons, and now I'm being quoted prices more than six times what the car I wish to drive is worth! :frown:
I'm struggling to find quotes less than £4000 now, utter disappointment.
My parents spent so much on driving lessons, and now I'm being quoted prices more than six times what the car I wish to drive is worth! :frown:

You've done things in the wrong order. You should look at insurance first and purchase the car second. Find out what you are able to afford rather than going out, wasting your money, only to find out insurers don't want to touch you in that particular vehicle.

Also punto's, fiesta's, saxo's, and clio's, tend to be expensive to insure for first time drivers.
Reply 13
Original post by fire2burn
You've done things in the wrong order. You should look at insurance first and purchase the car second. Find out what you are able to afford rather than going out, wasting your money, only to find out insurers don't want to touch you in that particular vehicle.

Also punto's, fiesta's, saxo's, and clio's, tend to be expensive to insure for first time drivers.

I've not bought the car yet! I just know someone who wants to sell their punto, hence why I am trying to find quotes for that, because that way it's easier. They will sell me the car cheaper than all of these garages, and they will tell 100% truth, hence why I am searching for a quote on this car type. (: x
Reply 14
My first insurance cost me £1,200 on a Fiat Punto Sporking MKII. Mom as main driver me as a named driver. Id only had my license 12 months and this was my first car.
I bought a brand new punto December last year and it cost me £1,980 for insurance.(endlseigh student insurance)
Then again i do live in a village so that must put the quotes down.
If only there was some kind of website where you could compare prices for car insurance...
Reply 16
What type of car was that in please? x

05 reg Fiat Punto (that's what I meant by I fit your description :tongue: ). I had to look around a bit, but it should be possible to find something approximately the same if you're prepared to talk to them/get a parent to negotiate.
Reply 17
Tips:
- always ring up insurers and haggle
- ramp up your excess on the phone - comparison sites only go up to like £500
- see if you can add one or both parents as named drivers
- see if you can get a discount with a company your parents are already on (they may even have the same company for home, contents insurance, etc.
- pretend you're parking it in a garage
- don't live in the city
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Try carrot insurance, I have a 2006 reg fiat grande punto, I am 18 and my insurance is £1400 with a black box
Very old thread is this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending