The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tateco
Thanks for the tip :smile: I started by mentioning three but now only mention 2 so hopefully I'm heading in the right direction! Good luck for this year btw, have you decided on your choices?

Hi,
I am not saying don't mention 3 lol. I mentioned 3 and nothing else and got 5 rejections and my grades are posted on the other post in this forum if you want to see. Perhaps it was the way I explained them, or maybe they didn't like the books I read or my PS came across as too much of a book review. Not sure what in particular they disliked about my PS but looking back, its was basically a book review with some comments like "I love econ" "my passion for econ....".

I would say mentioning a book is important, provided you also mention other activities you have done to sustain your interest in economics. Like additional courses or school debates you have taken part in e.t.c.

My choices:
Cam
War
LSE
Bath
York
What you think ?
Hello :biggrin: I am planning on doing a joint degree of Economics and Geography, just researching universities right now to decided my final 5 courses.

Books that I am planning on reading (just waiting for them to arrive, hopefully coming tomorrow) are The Plundered Planet: How to Reconcile Prosperity With Nature by Paul Collier and How Markets Fail: The Logic of Economic Calamities by John Cassidy.
Reading a book just for the sake of a PS can get very boring. I remember last year I wrote my PS in September and I was still reading the book I had mentioned on it when I was waiting in my car at Cambridge for the interview.
Reply 1783
Original post by economyst
Hi,
I am not saying don't mention 3 lol. I mentioned 3 and nothing else and got 5 rejections and my grades are posted on the other post in this forum if you want to see. Perhaps it was the way I explained them, or maybe they didn't like the books I read or my PS came across as too much of a book review. Not sure what in particular they disliked about my PS but looking back, its was basically a book review with some comments like "I love econ" "my passion for econ....".

I would say mentioning a book is important, provided you also mention other activities you have done to sustain your interest in economics. Like additional courses or school debates you have taken part in e.t.c.

My choices:
Cam
War
LSE
Bath
York
What you think ?

I understand :smile: I only have one paragraph on books and then the other three are different activities I have done relating to economics. Did you literally mention nothing other than three books?

They look like good choices to me.

Original post by Charlesworth
Hello :biggrin: I am planning on doing a joint degree of Economics and Geography, just researching universities right now to decided my final 5 courses.

Books that I am planning on reading (just waiting for them to arrive, hopefully coming tomorrow) are The Plundered Planet: How to Reconcile Prosperity With Nature by Paul Collier and How Markets Fail: The Logic of Economic Calamities by John Cassidy.

Sounds good, will you be applying to the likes of UCL and LSE?
I would post my old PS on here so others can benefit on how to get 5 rejections but I don't want admissions tutors to see it, and there are some on here.
All I mentioned related to econ was the 3 books, the rest was nonsense trying to relate my subjects to economics which gave me no relative advantage, I made some comments on young enterprise and that's it.

Where are you applying tat ?
Original post by Tateco
Sounds good, will you be applying to the likes of UCL and LSE?

No, mainly going for universities in Scotland:
Edinburgh
Aberdeen
Glasgow
St. Andrews
Stirling

and think I might apply for Cambridge to do Land Economy. Still unsure if my maths marks are good enough, so going to find out when I got back to school :colondollar:
Reply 1786
I would post my old PS on here so others can benefit on how to get 5 rejections but I don't want admissions tutors to see it, and there are some on here.
All I mentioned related to econ was the 3 books, the rest was nonsense trying to relate my subjects to economics which gave me no relative advantage, I made some comments on young enterprise and that's it.

Same as you but UCL instead of York - I'm fully prepared to have a year out

No, mainly going for universities in Scotland:
Edinburgh
Aberdeen
Glasgow
St. Andrews
Stirling

and think I might apply for Cambridge to do Land Economy. Still unsure if my maths marks are good enough, so going to find out when I got back to school :colondollar:

Nice :biggrin: Good luck!
Original post by Tateco
Nice :biggrin: Good luck!

Reply 1788

Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bath, risky I know but I'm hoping to apply for deferred entry and take a year out so I can afford to go for my dream universities!
Reply 1789

You could always upload it anonymously to the TSR Personal statement library.
Original post by Tateco
Same as you but UCL instead of York - I'm fully prepared to have a year out

Hmm, well your are going to do the same thing I did last year, your going for top 5 pretty much. There nothing wrong with that but, in my opinion, you need an outstanding PS because the grades are all similar. Be prepared in case you get 5 rejections.
If it wasn't for the fact I am cautious of 5 rejections and don't want to take 2 gap years, I would replace York with UCL.
What Cam college and why ?
Original post by zxh800
You could always upload it anonymously to the TSR Personal statement library.

I should have done that, but now that I have mentioned whats on it people will probably recognize it .
Original post by Tateco
Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bath, risky I know but I'm hoping to apply for deferred entry and take a year out so I can afford to go for my dream universities!

You mean that you are applying for deferred entry or will be okay taking a gap year if you get 5 rejections ?
By afford do you mean that in the gap year you will be saving up for uni ?
Reply 1793
You mean that you are applying for deferred entry or will be okay taking a gap year if you get 5 rejections ?
By afford do you mean that in the gap year you will be saving up for uni ?

This.
Is it true that LSE gives a uni of London degree, if so why is it that it is considers superior to other places that give uni of London degrees ?
And what you think about the new college of humanities ?
Original post by Tateco

wow, good luck! Are you applying for any joint courses or just economics?
Reply 1796
Is it true that LSE gives a uni of London degree, if so why is it that it is considers superior to other places that give uni of London degrees ?
And what you think about the new college of humanities ?

Doesn't UCL as well?

wow, good luck! Are you applying for any joint courses or just economics?

Thanks! Just economics I think :smile:
Yea UCL does so as well.
but I don't get why all London degrees aren't the same when they all give the same degree and thus same difficulty.
Just wondering if anyone has or knows anyone who has managed to get any economics related work experience? I have tried to think of work experience that could relate to economics, but I can't think of any...
(edited 12 years ago)
I have been in government economics departments.

Latest

Trending

Trending