The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Groat
Are you able to put the website on the first post with a short description of its aims?

you do ocr economics right?. Are you doing both global and transports papers in january next year??
Reply 2541
Original post by darkshadow1111
you do ocr economics right?. Are you doing both global and transports papers in january next year??

Why would you do both in January? :s-smilie:

Work and Leisure in January, then Global Economy in June. :u:
Original post by Groat
Why would you do both in January? :s-smilie:

Work and Leisure in January, then Global Economy in June. :u:

coz i got an A overall and our college makes people who got an A in AS economics take both of them so they can finnish the course 6 months early.
Reply 2543
coz i got an A overall and our college makes people who got an A in AS economics take both of them so they can finnish the course 6 months early.

That sounds a bit foolish.
Original post by Groat
That sounds a bit foolish.

why?
Reply 2545
Original post by Groat
Are you able to put the website on the first post with a short description of its aims?

Already done it :u:
Reply 2546
why?

Pushing you to learn the syllabus in a very short period of time.
darkshadow1111

If you work hard for it, I dont really see an issue. If anything, 6 months along the line you'll have much more freedom to study for your other subjects and maybe retake 1/2 of the modules (if you arent happy with the score)
Reply 2548
Original post by Tateco
Already done it :u:

You may have to edit it slightly, the URL isn't working. :u:
Reply 2549
Hey guyssss!

I'm applying for 2012 entry too (which is why I'm on this thread :ahee:)

I'm planning on applying to Cambridge, Warwick, Nottingham, Bristol and Southampton :biggrin:
I just wanted to find out if any of you know which of those universities accept an A* grade that has already been acheived? I've already got one from last year, and I'm also doing 3 other A2s this year, so I wasn't sure whether they'd say need to meet the offer with my 3 current subjects?
Or, for example if they'd reduce an A*AA offer to AA?

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by zaina94

Original post by zaina94
Hey guyssss!

I'm planning on applying to Cambridge, Warwick, Nottingham, Bristol and Southampton :biggrin:
I just wanted to find out if any of you know which of those universities accept an A* grade that has already been acheived? I've already got one from last year, and I'm also doing 3 other A2s this year, so I wasn't sure whether they'd say need to meet the offer with my 3 current subjects?

Cambridge should accept the A*. Though this depends on college and individual circumstances.
Warwick often offer A*AAA offers to those who do FM.
The rest should be fine although Notts and Bristol may lower the offer for those doing 4 A2's, Soton as well I think.

Are your grades being cashed in?

All the best
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2551
Original post by StarChamber
Cambridge should accept the A*. Though this depends on college and individual circumstances.
Warwick often offer A*AAA offers to those who do FM.
The rest should be fine although Notts and Bristol may lower the offer for those doing 4 A2's, Soton as well I think.

Are your grades being cashed in?

All the best

Thanks! :biggrin:

Although I only (this year) do AS FM... My A* is in Economics (sorry I should have mentioned that :colondollar:)

Yep it's been cashed in, I got an overall grade on my results sheet :smile: Not sure how to put my A* down on UCAS though, I moved school and I did the AS at my old school, so it won't let me put it down because of the leaving date, as it was certificated after I left and with a different exam board...and my teachers have no clue! :confused:
(Sorry I doubt you do either! :colondollar:)

Best wishes for you too! :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by zaina94

Original post by zaina94
Thanks! :biggrin:

Although I only (this year) do AS FM... My A* is in Economics (sorry I should have mentioned that :colondollar:)

Yep it's been cashed in, I got an overall grade on my results sheet :smile: Not sure how to put my A* down on UCAS though, I moved school and I did the AS at my old school, so I won't let me put it down because of the leaving date, as it was certificated after I left and with a different exam board...and my teachers have no clue! :confused:
(Sorry I doubt you do either! :colondollar:)

Best wishes for you too! :tongue:

Ah I see, great achievement nonetheless. Again Cambridge will depend upon college. Some do not specify the A*, whereas others do - usually Maths or Economics. Mostly maths though.

Warwick require an A* in Maths usually and if you do FM A*AAA and if you don't A*AA.

The rest will be fine and as I said the offer may even be lower as you do 4 A2's.

I'm pretty sure you can put it down on UCAS. But to be sure email UCAS/exam board(s) or ask your school.

What are your other 3 subjects?
Reply 2553
Ah I see, great achievement nonetheless. Again Cambridge will depend upon college. Some do not specify the A*, whereas others do - usually Maths or Economics. Mostly maths though.

Warwick require an A* in Maths usually and if you do FM A*AAA and if you don't A*AA.

The rest will be fine and as I said the offer may even be lower as you do 4 A2's.

I'm pretty sure you can put it down on UCAS. But to be sure email UCAS/exam board(s) or ask your school.

What are your other 3 subjects?

Thanks again and I'll definately do that, there must be some way around it on UCAS :biggrin:

Woaaahh didn't know Warwick's A* had to be in Maths! :O

I take Maths, Chemistry, Physics and AS Further Maths :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by zaina94

Original post by zaina94
Thanks again and I'll definately do that, there must be some way around it on UCAS :d

Woaaahh didn't know Warwick's A* had to be in Maths! :O

I take Maths, Chemistry, Physics and AS Further Maths :tongue:

You're in a good position assuming GCSE years went pretty well. That's a good subject combo. Very rigorous!

Good luck and should you have any questions ask away. Most people are quite knowledgable around here X
Reply 2555
You're in a good position assuming GCSE years went pretty well. That's a good subject combo. Very rigorous!

Good luck and should you have any questions ask away. Most people are quite knowledgable around here X

Haha my GCSEs and not having A2 FM are my weak points unfortunately.. (Well they're quite low for Cambridge and some of the places i'm applying, from what i've heard)

I got 4A*s, 4As and 2Bs (mind that 2 of my A*s are aida and cida distinctions, so not sure whether they'd see me as having 2A*s)

*sigh* some of my subjects are abit of a pain at times, namely Chemistry...

LOL I'm pleasantly surprised you guys are helpful, I thought you'd all be trying to sabotage eachother or something :wink:
Reply 2556
Original post by tehonlyone

Original post by tehonlyone
Yeah, prefer staying in London if possible. What are the grade requirements for Southampton? Do you think if I get AAB, will SOAS let me off?

And I forgot to mention another thing, would it affect my application much if its my third year of Alevels?? I used to do Chem and Bio but dropped them after the first year, and took Business and continued with Maths again.

Yes they will I know SOAS accepted two people who got BBB this year for economics
Original post by zaina94

Original post by zaina94
Haha my GCSEs and not having A2 FM are my weak points unfortunately.. (Well they're quite low for Cambridge and some of the places i'm applying, from what i've heard)

I got 4A*s, 4As and 2Bs (mind that 2 of my A*s are aida and cida distinctions, so not sure whether they'd see me as having 2A*s)

LOL I'm pleasantly surprised you guys are helpful, I thought you'd all be trying to sabotage eachother or something :wink:

No harm in seeing how things turn out. A good interview can swing things around. You're GCSEs are below average but don't worry too much.

Most people are nice enough around here. Not sure about sabotage :ninja: I applied last cycle so I'm going uni this year :h:
Reply 2558
Original post by zaina94

We're all friendly here :h:
Original post by zaina94
Hey guyssss!

Another female :sexface:

On a serious note, welcome :hi:

I'm going for 4/5 of your uni combination so we may well end up in the same position next year (assuming all goes well)

:h:

Latest

Trending

Trending