The Student Room Group

Is 3 A levels without an additional AS level okay?

Hey Guys.

Basically, I'm in A2 and out of all my subjects I failed Maths at AS level. I found it quite difficult and decided to drop it at A2. However, I was wondering if I retake some of the of the Maths Units and get at least a C will that be good? As in is it really important to Unis? Because the thing is, Maths is extremely time consuming and I wish to concentrate on my other 3 subjects. Is it a must to have an AS level with 3 A levels?

Would love to hear your opinion/response!

PS: Tbh, I will be applying to average Unis, not the top ones. :smile:
Reply 1
Well, it all depends what you want to do in the future. If it has nothing to do with maths (ie not an engineering job) then you may be okay so long as you make sure you have enough UCAS points. Maths is one of the most respected subjects though, or so i hear.

I have a friend who wants to be a civic engineer. However he's dropped maths. He's screwed. Think about your future job and if its not maths related then maybe take Use of maths for easy UCAS points? dunno if its recognised though.
yes
Reply 3
As far as I've seen, if any university wants a fourth AS they just want a pass in it (normally at least an E). I'd check your choices just in case, but that's generally enough.
Reply 4
No. It is definitely not ok.

UCL require 3.5 a levels for a lot of their courses, among other unis too. So you restrict your university choices.
Reply 5
Original post by Ilyas
No. It is definitely not ok.

UCL require 3.5 a levels for a lot of their courses, among other unis too. So you restrict your university choices.

The OP said they were not applying to the top unis so 3 A levels will be ok
Reply 6
Thanks for your response guys! I wish to do Economics in Uni and yes, it is somewhat Maths-related I guess. Do you think I should just retake the Maths units to achieve at least a C?
Original post by EyesWideShut
Thanks for your response guys! I wish to do Economics in Uni and yes, it is somewhat Maths-related I guess. Do you think I should just retake the Maths units to achieve at least a C?

The universities might like it. My housemate last year does Economics and they involved A level maths in it. Admittidely they were teaching parts of it again.

However some of the 'mid-table' unis prefer 3.5 A-levels. It can't hurt too much to do it again can it? Try and get Maths all done in January, do a past paper every couple of nights in the different units and you'll soon get the idea of what you need to do in your exams.
Reply 8
Original post by EyesWideShut

I think if you want to do Economics at Uni it might be a good idea to at least try and get a C, so yeah just retake them.

But if it is going to harm your other subjects by taking too much time in maths revision, then it's probably better to just concentrate on getting the 3 full A Levels, that's your priority.

If you think you can do it all, go for it.
Reply 9
^Thank you so much both of you! I think I'm just gonna go for it and hopefully be able to pull it off. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest