The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3720
Original post by Tomatochuckers
You were a bit conservative with your choices (if you got two or more A*s preds)

for someone with an impressive academic profile (from you're GCSEs at least), I agree with Tomatochuckers that you are being far too conservative. If I were you I would apply to somewhere like UCL, Warwick or Durham rather than Nottingham, and replace UEA with one of those as well, and have Manchester as an insurance. If you get rejected by cambridge, you may regret not applying to somewhere like UCL.
Reply 3721
Yeah I guess my choices are more conservative than many with similar grades to me.
With regards to other top unis, my thought process was this:

Oxford-doesn't offer straight econ which is what I want to do
UCL/LSE-I've lived in London my whole life and will probably end up working here in the future, so I'd like to go to a uni somewhere else.
Warwick-I thought quite a lot about applying there. I like the look of the campus and the course looks quite good too, but my problem is the location. The uni itself seems like it's kinda in the middle of nowhere, and I'm not sure I'd want to live in Leamington Spa/Coventry. I'd like to have the option to go clubbing too, but I feel like I would largely miss out on this if I went to Warwick.

I really liked Nottingham and Bath and would be happy to go there. I chose Manchester as an insurance choice; however, Bristol was the only non-campus uni I'd checked out and I didn't like it at the open day, so I put down UEA as another back up in case I don't like Manchester when I check it out later on.

My UCAS hasn't been sent off properly as my reference hasn't been added, so if any of you can convince me to swap one of my choices for Warwick or whatever then I may be able to get my referee to make a last minute change. :tongue:
Original post by ccc18
Yeah I guess my choices are more conservative than many with similar grades to me.

UCL/LSE-I've lived in London my whole life and will probably end up working here in the future, so I'd like to go to a uni somewhere else.
Warwick-I thought quite a lot about applying there. I like the look of the campus and the course looks quite good too, but my problem is the location. The uni itself seems like it's kinda in the middle of nowhere, and I'm not sure I'd want to live in Leamington Spa/Coventry. I'd like to have the option to go clubbing too, but I feel like I would largely miss out on this if I went to Warwick.

I really liked Nottingham and Bath and would be happy to go there. I chose Manchester as an insurance choice; however, Bristol was the only non-campus uni I'd checked out and I didn't like it at the open day, so I put down UEA as another back up in case I don't like Manchester when I check it out later on.

My UCAS hasn't been sent off properly as my reference hasn't been added, so if any of you can convince me to swap one of my choices for Warwick or whatever then I may be able to get my referee to make a last minute change. :tongue:

Hey, may I know how is Bristol different from the other unis you mentioned because it's not a campus uni? Does it just mean the residence halls are further from the lecture halls and located in a city instead?
If I were you I'd switch East Anglia for Warwick... because of the prospects. Judging from your GCSE you deserve better than going to East Anglia.
Reply 3723
Original post by kaying
Hi everyone! :smile:
New to the thread, hah.

GCSEs: 11A*s, 1A
AS: 5As in Maths, Economics, History, English Lit and Critical Thinking (also taking F Maths and Extended Project this year... why did I take on the challenge, hah...).
Choices: Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bristol.
They all have pretty high entry requirements; I'm just hoping for some offers.
However, if I do get offers, then picking a firm and insurance will be awkward since the offers are likely to be the same :s-smilie: (assuming I get two offers from the first four options and that Bristol rejects me).

Anyone else with this problem?

All my universities are A*AA, too. :s-smilie:

Which Cambridge college? :u:
More and more Cambridge applicants every day!
Reply 3725
Out of City University and Southampton (both AAA) which is better in terms of:
- Teaching
- Job Prospects
And which is less competitive, ie. easier to get into?

Thanks
Original post by kaying
New to the thread, hah.

AS: 5As in Maths, Economics, History, English Lit and Critical Thinking (also taking F Maths and Extended Project this year... why did I take on the challenge, hah...).
However, if I do get offers, then picking a firm and insurance will be awkward since the offers are likely to be the same :s-smilie: (assuming I get two offers from the first four options and that Bristol rejects me).

With your academic record getting A*AA should be very achievable, so having an A*AA insurance shouldn't be a problem at all.
Original post by V10
- Teaching
- Job Prospects

Thanks

Choose Southampton.
Original post by ccc18

Although I respect your reasoning and appreciate that you are in a tough situation (wanting to get out of London). At the end of the day, remember you want to get the best degree possible, you want to set yourself up well for the rest of your life. To turn your back at UCL and LSE when you have a great chance of getting in is something you should REALLY think about. Same with Warwick. I understand the location problems, but for your grades, applying to those places looks mad to me!

I guess it's not going with the trend, if you have over 8A*s at GCSE and 4 As at ASLevel, for economics, the choices normally always ring CAMBRIDGE LSE UCL WARWICK (5th Option)

Really think about this, in your situation, I would apply to either UCL or LSE and definitely Warwick, as you very likely to get an offer.
:biggrin:
Original post by Groat

If i get an offer from Warwick, it will be AAB for Economics :biggrin:

Nice 'back-up'.
Original post by kaying

Original post by kaying
New to the thread, hah.

This is scarily similar to my situation! I think that if you're looking at top universities, you won't be satisfied settling for a uni with lower requirements. So I'm going for the topish ones - no offers = gap year!
Original post by giveandtake
This is scarily similar to my situation! I think that if you're looking at top universities, you won't be satisfied settling for a uni with lower requirements. So I'm going for the topish ones - no offers = gap year!

Which Unis are you applying for?
Hi guys, which Uni would you say is best out of these few (Considering it is a back up choice):

Manchester
York
Cardiff
Exeter
Lancaster
Reply 3733
Original post by miscellaneous123
Hey, would you guys say Greece is a stagnant economy?

...yes
Original post by Groat

Which Unis are you applying for mate?
Reply 3735
Original post by V10
- Teaching
- Job Prospects

Thanks

What would you say is more competitive?
Original post by V10
What would you say is more competitive?

I don't know about competitiveness, but if I had to choose between them I would personally go for Southampton.
Reply 3737
GCSEs: 7A*s, 3A, 1B
AS: 4.5 As in Maths, Economics, Biology, Chemistry, F Maths
Choices: Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, Bath and Nottingham.

Not sure on which college between Girton or Clare.... any recomendations
Reply 3738
Original post by expopyro

I'm applying to Clare college and thought it was really nice at the open day. Having said that, they all looked very nice.
Original post by expopyro

Clare is lovely; I don't know about Girton.

Latest

Trending

Trending