The Student Room Group

Ears pinned back on NHS

Is it possible to get this procedure done on the NHS once you are past a certain age? I am 20 years old and have quite 'sticky-out ears' and have always been massively self-conscious about them. Is it possible to actually get this done or would your chances be pretty much nil?

I don't want to make it look like I have a sense of entitlement, but there's not really any other way to get it done as by looks of it treatment just isn't affordable. For other medical issues I tend to go private anyway.

Thanks guys

Scroll to see replies

I know you can get your ears pinned back on the NHS, I got it down when i was about 5. Surely its discrimination if they say your too old?
Reply 2
only if you play the "they're effecting my mental health" card... my bro just got it done... looks good tbf... looked quite sore and uncomfortable though... you have to wear like an alice band for like a month after.. and the badges were hilarious! oh and defs gett aa haircut like the day before and invest in lots of dry shampoo cos you cant get them wet for a while lol
Reply 3
Original post by minniiee
only if you play the "they're effecting my mental health" card... my bro just got it done... looks good tbf... looked quite sore and uncomfortable though... you have to wear like an alice band for like a month after.. and the badges were hilarious! oh and defs gett aa haircut like the day before and invest in lots of dry shampoo cos you cant get them wet for a while lol

How old is you brother??

I'm an adult and so probably can't get it free. Is it even worth asking? Otherwise I'd be looking at going private. I#ve always wanted to get it done, but as a kid I was way too embarrassed to even mention it to my parents (and they were never very sympathetic in that regard) so I just had to suck it up. I would consider private long term because when I push my ears in, my appearance seriously improves 4x - I think 'wow' what a difference! It isn't so bad when my hair is longer but I can only really manage short hair. And with smaller ears and short hair I'd look much much better. You only live once and you might as well be happy with your appearance. I think I'm fairly attractive but this is a hindrance and effects self esteem.

Thanks for you post
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
I got it done pretty late, maybe 17/18 so i'm sure you could get it on the NHS at 20.

Make a GP appointment, they will refer you to a surgeon on the NHS and it goes from there. Such a minor operation, its usually a day-surgery.

Not as bad as the person's comment above either, a little uncomfortable, you have to wear a bandage around them for a week, and after that comes off you just need to sleep with a head band round them. Heals pretty quickly and not much pain involved.

Good luck
Reply 5
Original post by Robz_3000
I got it done pretty late, maybe 17/18 so i'm sure you could get it on the NHS at 20.

But was that just before you were an adult?

Make a GP appointment, they will refer you to a surgeon on the NHS and it goes from there. Such a minor operation, its usually a day-surgery.

Will do

Not as bad as the person's comment above either, a little uncomfortable, you have to wear a bandage around them for a week, and after that comes off you just need to sleep with a head band round them. Heals pretty quickly and not much pain involved.

Good luck

Is it pretty risk free ?
Original post by Calculon
I don't want to make it look like I have a sense of entitlement, but there's not really any other way to get it done as by looks of it treatment just isn't affordable. For other medical issues I tend to go private anyway.
Surely having your ears pinned back is one of the cheapest operations around? What other medical issues have you paid for privately?
Reply 7
Original post by jismith1989
Surely having your ears pinned back is one of the cheapest operations around? What other medical issues have you paid for privately?

I haven't paid for operations, so I haven't paid anything like a four-figure sum up front. How much is it private ?? I read £2000+ which is a lot.
I haven't paid for operations, so I haven't paid anything like a four-figure sum up front. How much is it private ??
Fair enough.

A quick Google search gives the BUPA website which says that a pinnaplasty operation (i.e. ears being pinned back) costs between £1,000 and £3,000. You may as well get it done on the NHS if you can though (the BUPA website says in the same sentence as the price on the pinnaplasty page that "cosmetic surgery isn't available on the NHS", but of course if it's affecting you psychologically, then the NHS probably wouldn't see it as cosmetic). Here's the link.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
But was that just before you were an adult?

Will do

Is it pretty risk free ?

I think 18 classed me as an adult if I remember correctly.

It is pretty much risk free, they do tell you the complications but these are EXTREMELY rare such as infection, heavy bleeding and scarring. But if the latter 2 do not run in the family you will be fine.

What I will say however, is go into the whole thing with realistic results. Don't expect your ears to be perfectly shaped, sized, formed etc. They will look as natural as possible and less prominent, but they still wont be perfect. I am very happy with mine though!
Reply 10
How old is you brother??

I'm an adult and so probably can't get it free. Is it even worth asking? Otherwise I'd be looking at going private. I#ve always wanted to get it done, but as a kid I was way too embarrassed to even mention it to my parents (and they were never very sympathetic in that regard) so I just had to suck it up. I would consider private long term because when I push my ears in, my appearance seriously improves 4x - I think 'wow' what a difference! It isn't so bad when my hair is longer but I can only really manage short hair. And with smaller ears and short hair I'd look much much better. You only live once and you might as well be happy with your appearance. I think I'm fairly attractive but this is a hindrance and effects self esteem.

Thanks for you post

my bro was 16 which is the cut off but the NHS effed up cos he was sposed to have it when he was 15.
If you can convince them that it's massively affecting your self esteem and its making you very unhappy than its worth it
private costs a bomb
my bro is way more confident now so yeh...
I had my left ear pinned back last year (I was 13) but I was not allowed it done on the NHS because it didn't affect me too much.If you say you are bullied or something about it you can probably get it done on the NHS. I think it cost about £2000 privately but my (rich) grandma paid.
Reply 12
Original post by Robz_3000
I think 18 classed me as an adult if I remember correctly.

How come you got it free then? Were you an exception? Is there anything you did/said that made them allow you to have the procedure?

It is pretty much risk free, they do tell you the complications but these are EXTREMELY rare such as infection, heavy bleeding and scarring. But if the latter 2 do not run in the family you will be fine.

What I will say however, is go into the whole thing with realistic results. Don't expect your ears to be perfectly shaped, sized, formed etc. They will look as natural as possible and less prominent, but they still wont be perfect. I am very happy with mine though!

Thanks. How long was recovery? I don't need mine reshaped or anything just pushing back... as soon as I start pushing them back in the mirror my appearance just improves so much because there's no focus on the ears at all. My face shape, hair etc etc all looks better and it suits me much more. Sucks to have been born with dodgy ears!!

If I couldn't get it done on NHS I'd only really be able to pay around £1000-£1500 for private, any more would be too much because I am also paying private for other medical issues.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by jismith1989
Fair enough.

A quick Google search gives the BUPA website which says that a pinnaplasty operation (i.e. ears being pinned back) costs between £1,000 and £3,000. You may as well get it done on the NHS if you can though (the BUPA website says in the same sentence as the price on the pinnaplasty page that "cosmetic surgery isn't available on the NHS", but of course if it's affecting you psychologically, then the NHS probably wouldn't see it as cosmetic). Here's the link.

Thanks man, really ought to be doing my own research, appreciate it. £1000 wouldn't be unreasonable but I bet it'd be much more likely to be in the region of £2000-£2500.
Reply 14
Do it yourself
Reply 15
Original post by 1crazydude
Do it yourself

I'm not sure I am able to perform advanced surgery on myself whilst under general anesthetic, but thanks for the idea anyway. :P
Reply 16
I'm not sure I am able to perform advanced surgery on myself whilst under general anesthetic, but thanks for the idea anyway. :P

haha np!
Reply 17
How come you got it free then? Were you an exception? Is there anything you did/said that made them allow you to have the procedure?

Thanks. How long was recovery? I don't need mine reshaped or anything just pushing back... as soon as I start pushing them back in the mirror my appearance just improves so much because there's no focus on the ears at all. My face shape, hair etc etc all looks better and it suits me much more. Sucks to have been born with dodgy ears!!

If I couldn't get it done on NHS I'd only really be able to pay around £1000-£1500 for private, any more would be too much because I am also paying private for other medical issues.

Just tell them that its effecting self-esteem and they should be fine with it.
Recovery isn't all that bad, I was awake for the op (shows how minor it is), and after a week of wearing a bandage, you just have to go easy on them. No contact sport and don't catch it. wash them gently. The weird numb feeling will remain for a 2-3 months but its nothing serious, just a bit numb.
Reply 18
I had mine done when I was 13 on the NHS. I ended up with a bandage on my head for two weeks and needed to wear a head band for six week after that.

There is no doubt that it has improved my confidence! It's one less thing to worry about when I'm meeting new people. Although I still tell people I've had it done because I don't like them being touched :P

I know this sounds very weird but I can now wear my hair down (because they stuck out from behind so looked more silly than when my hair was up).

So yeah...definitely go to your GP and talk it through with them. I mean you can get boob jobs on the NHS so why not that?
I want to get my ears pinned back because of getting bullied for the past two years meaning I stay in my room most of the time but my family don't have the money for it would then nhs do it?

Quick Reply

Latest