The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1420
Original post by jcb123
I worked it out at around 150 - could be more, but doubt it would be less bearing in mind that there were 800+ applicants.

No I meant how many interviews have gone out so far not total they will interview? Surely it will be more than 150 applicants if last year they interviewed 200 out of 700?
Reply 1421
Original post by mashalli
No I meant how many interviews have gone out so far not total they will interview? Surely it will be more than 150 applicants if last year they interviewed 200 out of 700?

I have no idea! It's impossible to know... Does it really matter?! Lol
Original post by jcb123
Of course, they interview into mid march. Early offers are given out mid feb with the rest being at the end of march.

There haven't been any offers yet! Not for BM6 anyway.

Oh right! Just made the assumption :smile: Thanks for clearing that up, was expecting a rejection :colone:

I read somewhere on this thread that they hand out offers dependent on how highly you score, so the top 45 get offers. Wouldn't that be unfair to those interviewed late march, since they would have already given out half the offers by then, and there'd be more pressure / expectation for these applicants to impress?

Doesn't matter nor make a difference :tongue: But we'd better hope so! :smile: (plus get invited for interview of course)
Reply 1424
Original post by TheStudent.
Oh right! Just made the assumption :smile: Thanks for clearing that up, was expecting a rejection :colone:

I read somewhere on this thread that they hand out offers dependent on how highly you score, so the top 45 get offers. Wouldn't that be unfair to those interviewed late march, since they would have already given out half the offers by then, and there'd be more pressure / expectation for these applicants to impress?

Well from last year I was told that they only gave out early offers to like 3/5 people (these people would have scored near full marks on all areas I would have thought). The majority however will be scored, then ranked at the end of the interview process with the top 45 getting offers.

That make sense?
Reply 1425
Doesn't matter nor make a difference :tongue: But we'd better hope so! :smile: (plus get invited for interview of course)

This is true! The smaller the better... Sure you will get an interview :smile:
Original post by jcb123
Well from last year I was told that they only gave out early offers to like 3/5 people (these people would have scored near full marks on all areas I would have thought). The majority however will be scored, then ranked at the end of the interview process with the top 45 getting offers.

That make sense?

Bullseye
Original post by jcb123
This is true! The smaller the better... Sure you will get an interview :smile:

Aww, thanks :redface:
Reply 1428
Bullseye

Glad I could be of help :smile:
Reply 1429

I hope that 2! The interview invitation is the biggest hurdle
I hope that 2! The interview invitation is the biggest hurdle

Yep :biggrin: pretty much ^_^ I almost died when I received my KCL interview.. the subject was titled 'Reminder of interview', and my first thought was, Crap i've missed it! lol.
O_O LOL @ the negs
Reply 1432
Just a query, can you over qualify for the bm6 course?

I know that for the 6yr medicine course in Nottingham if you meet any of the requirements for the 5yr you cannot apply for the 6yr, but I wasn't sure about in Southampton?
X
Original post by LKLB93

I know that for the 6yr medicine course in Nottingham if you meet any of the requirements for the 5yr you cannot apply for the 6yr, but I wasn't sure about in Southampton?
X

Good question, i'm not completely sure myself :confused:, but the offer they give is perhaps an indicator that you might not be eligible if you do overqualify... :colone:
Reply 1434
This is something you're supposed to check way before you apply. No you can't be overqualified. There's no might about it.
Good question, i'm not completely sure myself :confused:, but the offer they give is perhaps an indicator that you might not be eligible if you do overqualify... :colone:

Original post by Medican
This is something you're supposed to check way before you apply. No you can't be overqualified. There's no might about it.

Original post by LKLB93

X

You cannot be over qualified for BM6, though they may ask you why you're applying for it if you're suitable for BM5. They will sometimes even ask BM6ers if they want to go straight into BM5 if they've got the grades and there is space.

Stop negging each other. Eventually you might be class mates and you need to support each other or you will never make it through medicine. You are supposed to be empathic and patient people! Be nice :biggrin: You'll be bm6 besties eventually. :smile:

Never attribute to malice that which can be equally explained by stupidity.
Reply 1436
Original post by BethaneyJ
You cannot be over qualified for BM6, though they may ask you why you're applying for it if you're suitable for BM5. They will sometimes even ask BM6ers if they want to go straight into BM5 if they've got the grades and there is space.

Stop negging each other. Eventually you might be class mates and you need to support each other or you will never make it through medicine. You are supposed to be empathic and patient people! Be nice :biggrin: You'll be bm6 besties eventually. :smile:

Never attribute to malice that which can be equally explained by stupidity.

Why is everyone negging comments?
Original post by jcb123
I have no idea! It's impossible to know... Does it really matter?! Lol

Well yeah seeing as theres only 45 offers! D:
Reply 1438
Original post by Medican

I don't know what you're trying to imply, but I did look into the courses i chose and didn't just blindly apply for medicine. I was asking that question because I got the correct entry requirements however my teachers have predicted me higher grades due to the other courses I have applied for.

But thanks for answering my question.
Reply 1439
Original post by LKLB93
I don't know what you're trying to imply, but I did look into the courses i chose and didn't just blindly apply for medicine. I was asking that question because I got the correct entry requirements however my teachers have predicted me higher grades due to the other courses I have applied for.

But thanks for answering my question.

Mine did the same (AAA), but I got rejected from both my A100 courses!

I don't think it matters if you have been predicted the highest grades or the grades required (BCC), but I think for the foundation courses at Nottingham and East Anglia it plays some part in whether you are rejected or not.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending