The Student Room Group
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website

Any advice with Teesside.

I've been to a Teesside interview, and I was really impressed by the university, but everywhere I look, people are saying the area isn't too great.

I was just wondering whether or not anyone was thinking about going to/firming Teesside and what you know about it.

I'm on the verge of firming it, it's just that nagging doubt about the area.

Thank you, and I hope to hear back from you.
I'm at teesside now, in my first year. Yeah the area is a bit dodgy, I've heard the further out is the worse, but that's the same in any large town/city. But so far I haven't heard anything that hasn't happened where I lived, which was a small town, and it's not like there's a serious problem every day or week.

As long as you're sensible with going out, where you're going then you'll be fine. Really you don't need to go much further out of the town centre as most everything is in easy reach and if you're really worried, take up Kung Fu they do proper street self defence focusing on the what if you were attacked in the street, really simple to learn and it's fun too!
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Mutedmirth
I'm at teesside now, in my first year. Yeah the area is a bit dodgy, I've heard the further out is the worse, but that's the same in any large town/city. But so far I haven't heard anything that hasn't happened where I lived, which was a small town, and it's not like there's a serious problem every day or week.

As long as you're sensible with going out, where you're going then you'll be fine. Really you don't need to go much further out of the town centre as most everything is in easy reach and if you're really worried, take up Kung Fu they do proper street self defence focusing on the what if you were attacked in the street, really simple to learn and it's fun too!

Thanks for the reply, mate. I live in a rather rough area, so I know what it's like, but part of me was hoping to get away from that at University, haha. The city seemed fine when I went, it was just people's anecdotes that put me off a little bit.

I think I'll look into that, it'd be nice to know some sort of self defence ha. Cheers.
Original post by Mutedmirth

Is the kung Fu a uni club?
Original post by Average_Aaron
Is the kung Fu a uni club?

A Student Union society but yeah it's only for students but ran independently from the uni.
Reply 5
I live in Teesside not far from the university.
I must admit Middlesbrough isn't a great area compared to others but I guess there are worse places. It's not a large town so you can find everything pretty easily.

I wouldn't say it was that bad to be honest :smile:
But then again, I have lived there for my entire 18 years!
It is pretty much what you would expect from a larger town, I wouldnt say its a bad place, has its problems but as do most places in the country, as the other respondants said as long as you take reasonable measures you will be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending