The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Is the Health Science Access Course enough to do Nursing Degree

Hi there,

I'm hoping to start the Health Science Access to HE Course at Hillsboro Coll in Sept with a view to starting a Nursing Degree Course at Sheff Hallam Uni in Sept 2013.

The entry requirements for this access course is Grade C in GCSE English language and preferably a Level 2 maths qualification. I have a Grade B in Maths and Grade C in English language just recently gained in 2010. I'm also looking into volunteering for the NHS preferably in one of the hospitals in Sheffield to gain the work experience.

When I finish the Access course, hopefully with the required amount of credits needed for the Nursing Degree course, will this be sufficient enough to get onto this course at Sheff Hallam Uni because the entry requirements state 5 GCSE's at Grade C or above plus an Access to HE course, or are they sometimes a little flexible? If I need 5 GCSE's it will mean me having to do another 3 GCSE's alongside the Access course which I think would be too much.

Sorry for the essay but I'd appreciate some advice. Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Hi, this doesnt help, but...

I did the HE access course, well am doing it! and have been accepted to sheffield hallam in sept for nursing. I have more than 5 GCSEs but was told that as these were 10yrs old they didnt count anyway!!

Ring admissions and ask them! But the access course is a brill way to get into uni!

Lucy
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Hi Lucy

Thank you I'll ring and ask them.

Could I be a little nosey and ask how you're finding the Access course. Is it the Health Science Access course? Is it quite demanding, not that I mind, I'm willing to put the work in.

I hope you dont mind me asking. I'm really looking forward to it, I just like to know a little about what to expect. Thank you.
The best thing to do is ring up the place you wanna go to and ask them - that's what I did :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Its just an access to HE, but I am doing the Biology that i need for nursing, plus psychology, study skills and some level 2 subjects that are mandatory.

Its hard going, lots of work - but i am managing it with two jobs as well, so if you are focussed and committed it can work. Dont give up half way through, as so many on my course have! its worth it. I have about 5 deadlines next week, essays, exams etc - it its hard and you dont have a social life - but im now conditionally in at sheffield - so it is so worth it!!

Of course i dont mind you asking - add me on here, if i can be of any help i will!
Reply 5
Original post by CharCat
Hi there,

I'm hoping to start the Health Science Access to HE Course at Hillsboro Coll in Sept with a view to starting a Nursing Degree Course at Sheff Hallam Uni in Sept 2013.

The entry requirements for this access course is Grade C in GCSE English language and preferably a Level 2 maths qualification. I have a Grade B in Maths and Grade C in English language just recently gained in 2010. I'm also looking into volunteering for the NHS preferably in one of the hospitals in Sheffield to gain the work experience.

When I finish the Access course, hopefully with the required amount of credits needed for the Nursing Degree course, will this be sufficient enough to get onto this course at Sheff Hallam Uni because the entry requirements state 5 GCSE's at Grade C or above plus an Access to HE course, or are they sometimes a little flexible? If I need 5 GCSE's it will mean me having to do another 3 GCSE's alongside the Access course which I think would be too much.

Sorry for the essay but I'd appreciate some advice. Thank you :smile:

I'm also strting this course access health science this September at hillsborough college, do nxt year I can go to uni and do the bsc hons radiotherapy and oncology. I only have 3 gcse's all from home studying and have relevant experiance they said as long as I manage to get the credits for the course then I'm fine.
Reply 6
Original post by loopyluc
Its just an access to HE, but I am doing the Biology that i need for nursing, plus psychology, study skills and some level 2 subjects that are mandatory.

Its hard going, lots of work - but i am managing it with two jobs as well, so if you are focussed and committed it can work. Dont give up half way through, as so many on my course have! its worth it. I have about 5 deadlines next week, essays, exams etc - it its hard and you dont have a social life - but im now conditionally in at sheffield - so it is so worth it!!

Of course i dont mind you asking - add me on here, if i can be of any help i will!

Have you done an assignment on enzymes by any chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is the acess health &human science course ,what do u study .im intrestead in cognitive psychology how brain works ,sleep studies and MATHS especialy algebra.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending