The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9705000/9705399.stm

So I heard you wanted to work at the Goldman Sachs

:P bitter employees eh
Original post by Chronoscon
I still haven't heard from them for L100. I'm really really getting anxious at the moment because without them I have to rely on Bath, who just rejected a friend who has significantly better grade predictions than me...

Do you mind me asking what grades/predictions you got, and just a general run-down of your application and stance in this process?

Also do you think Warwick do batch rejections? Or may they still be doing them up to March 31st :angry:

Sorry for the late reply. The reason I got rejected I think is pretty clear: relatively poor GCSEs. I expected to get rejected from Warwick and UCL because of my GCSEs but decided to apply to them anyway! Ironically I thought my best chance of an offer from the top five was Cambridge because they aren't obsessed by relatively meaningless GCSEs. As it turns out I was right as I have a Cambridge offer but no UCL (still waiting) or Warwick offer! Anyway enough waffle my subjects and grades were as follows:

GCSEs: 3A*s 5As 1B 2Cs
AS levels:
Maths (full A level in 1 year) A* - 570/600 ~ 95%
Further Maths - Currently studying - predicted A*
Economics - A - 191/200 ~ 95% - predicted A*
Biology - A 288/300 = 96% -predicted A*

On target to meet all predictions atm.
(edited 12 years ago)
Is there anyone still waiting to hear from UCL for L100?

Also, this is a bit of a long shot, but if there is someone reading this who was at the Statistics open day last Wednesday, are you still waiting for your track notification to come through?
Reply 9103
Cheers, this all helps a lot.

For the record, Im doing Maths, Economics and Geography for A2. I also emailed them with my January results, because I got a 100%er in Geography, hence making an A* almost dead certain (70% needed in summer...)

I didn't do further maths, because i thought it would only stunt my chances for Oxbridge, and that's why i steered clear of them. I excelled in Economics in the first year, and did get 100% in one module, and 92% in the other, but my Maths scores were pretty meh, averaging at something like 86% overall for AS.

I think based on their standard offer and placeholder, I have a good chance, it's just I keep getting horribly put off when applicants like yourself get rejected with what seems like a Cambridge-level application.

I would be interested to see what Warwick say regarding your rejection. Still just fingers crossed for now. I'm hoping I'll get something from them by the end of this week. :s-smilie:

I got rejected by Warwick yesterday, I have similar GCSEs to Yash, AAAA at AS level (average 95%, 98% in Maths and 97% in Economics), A*A*A* predictions and an A prediction in FM AS. So it is either lack of FM A2 or GCSEs that they have a problem with, I assume the latter as I don't recall seeing anyone with less than 7/8 A* GCSEs getting an offer...
Original post by Tateco
I got rejected by Warwick yesterday, I have similar GCSEs to Yash, AAAA at AS level (average 95%, 98% in Maths and 97% in Economics), A*A*A* predictions and an A prediction in FM AS. So it is either lack of FM A2 or GCSEs that they have a problem with, I assume the latter as I don't recall seeing anyone with less than 7/8 A* GCSEs getting an offer...

:console:

Awaits rejection...
Reply 9105
Original post by jamiepango
:console:

Awaits rejection...

You have LSE and UCL, you're doing a lot better than me!
Original post by Willetts.Josh
Is there anyone still waiting to hear from UCL for L100?

Also, this is a bit of a long shot, but if there is someone reading this who was at the Statistics open day last Wednesday, are you still waiting for your track notification to come through?

Still waiting for UCL L100.
Reply 9107
Original post by Tateco

I seem to remember you applied to UCL as well, any news from them yet?
Original post by Tateco
You have LSE and UCL, you're doing a lot better than me!

UCL haven't replied, so don't discount yourself just yet...
Reply 9109
Original post by jacky23
I seem to remember you applied to UCL as well, any news from them yet?

Nope, but I emailed them and they said they still plan on making offers to home students without inviting them to an open day first so there is still hope.
I should really un-subscribe myself from LSE events :/ everytime I get an email I get a slight heart palpitation
16 days to go :woo:

Is anyone going to Bath on the 28th?
Original post by Tateco
Nope, but I emailed them and they said they still plan on making offers to home students without inviting them to an open day first so there is still hope.

This has cheered me up slightly.. I'm so sick of waiting! I feel like I'm putting everything on hold by not giving up on them. :frown:
Reply 9112
Original post by Tateco

This is just ridiculous, it is really their loss they missed out on talent. Anyway, I hope you get UCL :smile:

Original post by Brand New Eyes

Is anyone going to Bath on the 28th?

Me :biggrin: My firm choice xD
Original post by Abbyyyyyyy
This has cheered me up slightly.. I'm so sick of waiting! I feel like I'm putting everything on hold by not giving up on them. :frown:

Sorry, but what course/uni is this for? Doesn't happen to be UCL L100 does it?
Reply 9114
Original post by Yash13
This is just ridiculous, it is really their loss they missed out on talent. Anyway, I hope you get UCL :smile:

The fact they give GCSEs such a high weighting seems ridiculous. Surely you can distinguish more between applicants with UMS scores than a couple of GCSEs which no one even tries for (unless they've got pushy parents or go to a half-decent school)
Reply 9115
Original post by Willetts.Josh
Sorry, but what course/uni is this for? Doesn't happen to be UCL L100 does it?

It is for UCL L100

There is still going to be offers made to home students without having to attend an open day and we will all hear by the end of March.
Original post by Tateco
The fact they give GCSEs such a high weighting seems ridiculous. Surely you can distinguish more between applicants with UMS scores than a couple of GCSEs which no one even tries for (unless they've got pushy parents or go to a half-decent school)

What if it was a strategic rejection by Warwick there who assumed the guy got offers from better places and would easily reach those, so hence save offers for people who are more likely to go to Warwick? :confused:
Reply 9117
What if it was a strategic rejection by Warwick there who assumed the guy got offers from better places and would easily reach those, so hence save offers for people who are more likely to go to Warwick? :confused:

There is no such thing as a strategic rejection for universities as high up as Warwick.
Original post by Tateco

I've never understood why GCSE's are important for your uni application in the UK. We don't even have an equivilant of GCSE's because they just can't determine whether you are able to do well at a good university or not. But I am sure that if we had GCSE's, I would have been horrible at them :tongue: Back then I was really lazy and had other things in mind :colone:

It can't be strategic, because everyone I know personally who have 8A*s+ have got Warwick, and they all got one of UCL,LSE etc. Whilst everyone I PERSONALLY know below are either waiting or have been rejected...

I do find it a bit ridiculous, as it seems a bit narrow to put so much bias on GCSE's.
But then again that's their admissions policy, so I guess we can't complain.

Latest

Trending

Trending