The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9440
I know UCL is also good but I prefer the intense environment at LSE and it has been my dream since I started A-level
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kim192
UCL, I think there would be lots of people failing to meet their offer and if my result can prove how much I am committed to Eco, there is still a chance though it is very very slim, so disappointed as I've chosen to take all their favorable subjects and tried hard to get gud grades and prediction:frown:

LSE is very strict when it comes to things like that. They get so many applications and since almost every LSE applicant has the same subject combo (Maths, FM, Econ and maybe Physics/Chem/etc.) they have to find other factors in order to justify a decision. Whether a PS is good or bad comes down to personal preferences. And LSE, apparently, didn't like yours. But UCL did. They won't change their mind and they will definetely not give you a second chance. Just imagine if other LSE rejects realised that an applicant got a second chance. Everyone would suddenly claim how committed they are and demand an offer. So this will never happen. But you've got UCL which is as amazing. Be proud and go with what you have :smile: Otherwise, as Tateco already suggested, you can always re-apply this autumn.
Reply 9442
Original post by kim192
I know UCL is also good but I prefer the intense environment at LSE and it has been my dream since I started A-level, I can't see all my efforts rubbed away for nothing

I'd have a bit more sensitivity and tact if I were you, there are lots of people in this thread who deserved better than what they got. While you may or may not be one of them you have done well to get a UCL offer and I don't think it's appropriate to brush that off as "nothing" just because you didn't get into your dream university (like nearly every other poster in here).
Reply 9443
Original post by kim192
UCL, I think there would be lots of people failing to meet their offer and if my result can prove how much I am committed to Eco, there is still a chance though it is very very slim, so disappointed as I've chosen to take all their favorable subjects and tried hard to get gud grades and prediction:frown:

They clearly factor in people missing offers, declining offers, insuring them after Oxbridge, universities do have a strategy I place for these things. Grades aren't the issue with economics anyway, it's the ridiculous competition.
Original post by Tateco
I'd have a bit more sensitivity and tact if I were you, there are lots of people in this thread who deserved better than what they got. While you may or may not be one of them you have done well to get a UCL offer and I don't think it's appropriate to brush that off as "nothing" just because you didn't get into your dream university (like nearly every other poster in here).

PRSOM :cry2:
Original post by kim192
I know UCL is also good but I prefer the intense environment at LSE and it has been my dream since I started A-level

Why do you think LSE is more intense than UCL?:s-smilie: This is one of the reasons why there is a slight negative stigma attached to the makeup of LSE students..

I like to lurk on this thread:frown:
Original post by kim192

How do you know that the atmosphere in UCL isn't intense either?
UCL is one of the best universities for economics, it will put you in very good stead.
Don't mope about LSE, cos thats what losers do.

And nobody likes losers....
Unless your Will from the inbetweeners mind
Reply 9447
Original post by Tsunami2011
Why do you think LSE is more intense than UCL?:s-smilie: This is one of the reasons why there is a slight negative stigma attached to the makeup of LSE students..

I like to lurk on this thread:frown:

Welcome :colone:
Original post by Tateco

Was so pleased that you got into UCL:biggrin:

I follow this thread more then the Law thread..how sad:colondollar:
Reply 9449
Original post by Tsunami2011
Was so pleased that you got into UCL:biggrin:

I follow this thread more then the Law thread..how sad:colondollar:

Thanks :biggrin: Guess you're going for Law then, where you headed?
Reply 9450
Original post by Yash13
I suppose for the majority that is true. We both have an interest in Economics, which is still very young. At the moment, we only have heard about career options and have looked at statistics. We have not experienced any graduate professions. For some being an economist is more rewarding than a banker despite the difference in salary. But your view is embedded in my mind as well.

I have made weird subject choices as I wanted to become an IT analyst initially as I never really cared about salaries but I would rather do something that I enjoyed. I then took Economics and realised it was far more interesting.

Thinking of becoming an IT analyst I took Computing, Mathematics and Economics (after deciding not to do Physics). I had already done IT AS and finished the A2 in Year 12. I got A*, which counts for f all....

I got an average of 88% (All As) in the mentioned subjects at AS and IT A2.

I was predicted A*A*A* due to showing great improvement in Year 13.

I thought I would never get into any London universities and was not appealed by the thought of universities in a city. That is why I went for more campus oriented Universities and thought Durham would be a safer bet than UCL and that Warwick was easier to get into than LSE... I thought that was pretty obvious. I am not so sure now. But whatever Bath was excellent and I am happy to go there, I just feel I let myself down and my family.

Hope you guys are happy though, I will see you in London in my placement year :colone:

You didn't mention all the amazing people at bath :colone:
Reply 9451
To all those who went to Bath today, what did you think?

Was really nice, dunno where to go now :confused:
Reply 9452
Original post by akash297

HEY!

Can you share your experience there? Or even pictures (PM for that :smile: )

I'm international so I cant go there even though they invited me...
Reply 9453
Original post by Tateco

Well done on UCL Tat, you deserve it mate! Undoubtedly you'll firm UCL over Bath? :biggrin:

Yeah it was good, but I'm still a bit confused, the people in my group when we went on that student led tour didn't say a word to eachother whatsoever.. Whereas when I went Bristol, my potiential classmates were all talking to eachother. It's a minor thing and I guess everyone was a bit nervous, but was just a little thing that bugged me :tongue:
Original post by Tateco
Thanks :biggrin: Guess you're going for Law then, where you headed?

Warwick or LSE.. University prestige isn't as important in Law (within reason) so swaying towards the former since I'd like to leave home:smile:
Reply 9455
Original post by Hemzo
Well done on UCL Tat, you deserve it mate! Undoubtedly you'll firm UCL over Bath? :biggrin:

Yeah it was good, but I'm still a bit confused, the people in my group when we went on that student led tour didn't say a word to eachother whatsoever.. Whereas when I went Bristol, my potiential classmates were all talking to eachother. It's a minor thing and I guess everyone was a bit nervous, but was just a little thing that bugged me :tongue:

so you're choosing between bristol and bath?
Reply 9456
Original post by Hemzo

I dunno, my group seemed quite social, there was a lot of walking about (especially in the sports village) and our tour guide was talking a lot so I guess no one talked too much. Wouldn't get too hung up on it.
Reply 9457
Original post by Irenicis

HEY!

Can you share your experience there? Or even pictures (PM for that :smile: )

I'm international so I cant go there even though they invited me...

Hi,

The city was lovely, spent hours after the open day just walking around the city, really really nice, and I don't think it's as expensive as people moan about (accommodation is cheaper than warwick for example).

I liked how during the talk they focused on the department, and what they were about. A lot of universities I have visited try and sell the university, but I think the department is a lot more important. The director of studies talked about how he felt about the department, and so did academic staff. They talked a lot about placements, not everyone gets their first choice, but lots get good placements. The two who spoke about there placements did placements at UBS and the Bank of England. I spoke to the guy who did his placement at UBS and he was really down to earth, and a really nice guy who clearly enjoyed his time at the university and what the university did for him.

Can't really think of many downsides, a friend of mine pointed out that at one point of of the tutors compared the university to Bristol and Exeter, whereas my other offer is from warwick, which made it almost appear a league above bath. But then again one of the tutors spoke about how their degree "practically guarantees" you places on top postgraduate programmes - UK or USA.
Reply 9458
Hi,

The city was lovely, spent hours after the open day just walking around the city, really really nice, and I don't think it's as expensive as people moan about (accommodation is cheaper than warwick for example).

I liked how during the talk they focused on the department, and what they were about. A lot of universities I have visited try and sell the university, but I think the department is a lot more important. The director of studies talked about how he felt about the department, and so did academic staff. They talked a lot about placements, not everyone gets their first choice, but lots get good placements. The two who spoke about there placements did placements at UBS and the Bank of England. I spoke to the guy who did his placement at UBS and he was really down to earth, and a really nice guy who clearly enjoyed his time at the university and what the university did for him.

Can't really think of many downsides, a friend of mine pointed out that at one point of of the tutors compared the university to Bristol and Exeter, whereas my other offer is from warwick, which made it almost appear a league above bath. But then again one of the tutors spoke about how their degree "practically guarantees" you places on top postgraduate programmes - UK or USA.

cool, i wish i was there....does it take a long time to get to the city from the uni and back?
Reply 9459
You didn't mention all the amazing people at bath :colone:

Oh you're on TSR! LOL. ^.^

Warwick has the name and better research. I think this is because Bath focuses on making their students more employable rather than making them interested in research, although I am not sure.

Overall rankings there is no difference.

Subject rankings say Warwick > Bath due to things like RAE 2008 (not up to date) and student satisfaction, which varies for everyone. Median salaries seem to be the same.

For a vocational focus I think Bath is hard to beat. 6 people earning 40-50k in their placement year at Goldman(according to Tom). :biggrin:

I would go where you will be happy. Prestige doesn't get you a first or a job in IB.

I hope you make the right decision. and come to bath :colone:

Latest

Trending

Trending