The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

FireDeuce
CONSTANTLY.
And computers won't allow it the way it is actually spelled. My surname starts with MAC and computers will only ever allow Mc...
Also.. why do people try to tell you that you're the one spelling your name wrong?

Oh the amount of times i've told people I'm Rachael with and AEL they have said 'are you sure?' No, i don't know how to spell my own name i've only had it 21 years!
PinkMobilePhone
Nuhtarhlie?

sorry, but I can't see how you get that from Natalie. Surely it should be spelt differently - Na can't be Nuh, the letter 'a' can't make an 'uh' sound :s-smilie:

Oh well each to their own - it's a total butchering of a perfectly good name though but anyway...

yes it can, Natalie, swap the e for an a you get Natalia pronounced Nuh-tar-lee-uh
hippieglitter
yes it can, Natalie, swap the e for an a you get Natalia pronounced Nuh-tar-lee-uh

I would have said Nah-tah-lee-ah but there we go
Reply 183
First name: Matt.
Surname: Rose.

I will be pretty impressed the day someone gets that wrong.
xwoopwoopx
My surname is Hempenstall. I swear no one can ever pronounce it or spell it right. Common mistakes are heppenstall, hempencil (how, i do not know lol), hempenstool etc.

humpenstall...
stumpenstall
:giggle: :grin:
Reply 185
How would you guys pronounce the name Tao?
Reply 186
All the time... Being called Ciaran and living in England everyone spells it Kieran, got to the point that when people ask my name I start spelling it out before their pen gets anywhere near the paper...

Same with pronunciation, the one I get most often is see-are-ren.
Yes, so much- They even put random Z's and D's in my last name- and im like- woah, where did this come from.
I don't bother saying my name. I just spell it out. And it still gets spelt wrong.
I seem to be the only person in Britain called Niall.

So everybody says it "Nile" when they read it and spells it "Neil" when they hear it. Bloody annoying.

Every supply teacher I have EVER had calls out "is it Neil or Nile" when reading out a register. Even more bloody annoying.
My last name is Neal, and people often spell it Neil (like the first name), and sometimes people actually think it is my first name. I used to be uber-shy, and one of my teachers in like year 9 called me Neil for half a year because I didn't dare to correct him (although to be fair he was this massive, scary army veteran).
I get Jemma a lot, instead of Gemma. And my second name with an I rather than a Y.
However, I work in a call centre and you'd be amazed the names I get called by other consultants on the phones; Jenna, Jamie, Emma, Anna, Erin, Jane(this is a common one). I usually speak to the customer and have to make a wee joke being all like, actually my name is Gemma.
My surname is an uncommon surname as it is, but to add confusion it's spelt differently (imagine White being spelt Whyte, it's like that). Literally everyone with this variation is someone I can put a face to because we're all related (at least the British ones anyway). Only been pronounced wrong tend that I can recall, once by a teacher and once by an American.
I have a quite long Nigerian name that's unfamiliar to 99% of new people I meet, and I have a few easier diminutive forms that I use these days.

Original post by iCiaran
All the time... Being called Ciaran and living in England everyone spells it Kieran, got to the point that when people ask my name I start spelling it out before their pen gets anywhere near the paper...

Same with pronunciation, the one I get most often is see-are-ren.

Hehe, I used to think that too, cos it looks a bit like the singer's name Ciara.
calum steele

callum steele
callum steel
cullum stel
etc. etc. etc.

its agrivating, especially on places like facebook where the bloody name is in front of their face!:colonhash:
Reply 195
I went on a st. john ambulance course last weekend and the leader kept calling me Remmy. He was reading my name of a register list and my name was spelt Reema. Ree- ma. Not hard the way i see it. My old neighbour always spelt it wrong in cards rima, rema. I meaning just try pronouncing that - It sounds nothing like Ree- ma!
Reply 196
My name is Knifemasta and people keep forgetting the K.

Bastards...
My name is hardly unusual (Eleanor/Ellie), and yet I have experienced the following spellings:

Elenor
Elanor
Elena
Ele
Elly
Elle
Elli
Reply 198
Original post by lukas1051
My last name is Neal, and people often spell it Neil (like the first name), and sometimes people actually think it is my first name. I used to be uber-shy, and one of my teachers in like year 9 called me Neil for half a year because I didn't dare to correct him (although to be fair he was this massive, scary army veteran).

Is your first name "Luke" by any chance?.Only I had a biology teacher called Luke Neal.
My name is jack and i once got called abdul rahman fasail muhammed

Latest