The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sannii Z
I have had braces for 3 years and am due for underbite surgery in 2012. I am really self concious about my jaw but am still really nervous for this surgery, Im a emotional kind of person so am second guessing whether I will be able to go through the recovering process or not. Also I can imagine getting fustrated not being able to eat or talk properly, how difficult is it not being able to eat and after how long are you able to eat properly? And also approximately how much weight do you lose? I was advised to get the surgery done during summer holidays so that I have mroe time to recover, but I have a family wedding then, how long does it take to get a normal apperance after all the swelling and bruising, and I f I have it done during term time, after how long will I be well enough to attend university?

It is difficult not being able to eat or talk properly, and I got very frustrated at times (generally this resulted in scribbling or writing in capital letters to represent shouting!). But it was absolutely worth it in my opinion.

At first eating was very difficult, I won't lie - even drinking a lot of soups was difficult at first because they were too thick, so it was pretty much living off build-up drinks for a few weeks. I found warm drinks very soothing though, lots of tea! I think I lost just over half a stone, but I can't remember that well (it was about 6 years ago now).

It takes a few weeks for the swelling to go down, I can't remember exactly how long though. I've got pictures from Christmas Day of the year I had my operation though, and you can see still the swelling and that was around 5 weeks later, so it does take a while. If you had it done in term time, I'd guess you'd need maybe 4-6 weeks off depending on circumstances and recovery. I had 4 weeks off + 2 extra weeks because of the Christmas holidays - they suggested 2-3 weeks at first but I couldn't talk at all, it gets exhausting from all that (and the lack of eating). I was very anaemic at the time though, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

It is so worth it though, good luck for whenever you end up having it anyway. x
Reply 21
Quite literally had this surgery this time last week.

I've known I needed the surgery since I was 8 or 9 but due to my bite the NHS had to get my bite correct for them to operate. It was cancelled last summer AND Christmas before finally happening last Tuesday.

The first few days weren't pleasant. What I would say is that rather than in pain, its actually just discomfort. You swell a lot and struggle with numbness but you don't cry with pain or anything - especially with medicine and antibiotics!

I was in hospital for two nights and I've now been home for five. The swelling has gone down almost completely - by the weekend they say that the swelling should have totally gone which would be around 10 days. I've been eating mashed up stuff which isn't great but my surgeon told me within 4 weeks you're able to eat everything except exceptionally hard foods. By mid-January it'll all be over for me.

I would recommend it. The first two days are the worst part, after that you develop into a routine. After a week it becomes very easier. No swelling, a tiny bit of bruising and your speech is practically normal! Maybe the odd drool though :wink: ....
I have the exact same thing. I was 11 when this process began, 14 when I got my braces and then 16 when I finally had them off (this year). Each day I become more and more conscious of it but then I just remember how my teeth looked previously and how they look now, even with this hideous over-bite.

My orthodontist did bring the idea of surgery up again but he came to his own conclusion that it wasn't beneficial (I beg to dispute!!!!!). He said for a lot of patients the pain in unbearable... (I'd deal with it) and apparently it's only worth it if you want a 'Hollywood' smile!

Quote for a reply!
Reply 23
I was offered this surgery because of my overbite too, I had terrible teeth and ended up just having a brace. Now I love my teeth, I'm self conscious of my jawline but it isn't that noticeable, after all I never noticed until the dentist pointed it out to me.

For me it was the right decision not to have surgery and I'm glad I didnt.
Heya I have an over bite of around 1.2 cm and have been on braces for a year and few months. I'm having surgery next week (if they don't change the date again) and can let you know how it goes regards to recovery etc if anyone wishes? I'm 17 atm finished school now so hopefully will be recovered swelling wise by the time I start uni if I get in. Just let me know if anyone will be interested in knowih how it goes.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e
Original post by metric
I was offered this surgery because of my overbite too, I had terrible teeth and ended up just having a brace. Now I love my teeth, I'm self conscious of my jawline but it isn't that noticeable, after all I never noticed until the dentist pointed it out to me.

For me it was the right decision not to have surgery and I'm glad I didnt.

I was going to have the surgery but in the end came to the same conclusion as you.
I used to have quite a bad overbite, so much that my bottom teeth used to dig into the roof of my mouth. I wasn't offered sugery, but i had orthodontic treatment for about 8 years! I started off with a plastic retainer in the top, to protect the roof of my mouth. Then i had retainers on the top and bottom with square blocks, that lock your jaw into a less overbitten position. These were the ugliest, most uncomfortable retainers i have ever worn, and were disgusting. You had to take them out before eating, and only being about 11 i would wrap them in a napkin in restaurants and forget....the amount of times the staff have had to go through the bins looking for them!!

After that, i had train tracks for 5 years. Now I have nice teeth, and my overbite isnt that bad at all, however I do have a really clicky jaw, which feels like it can almost click out of place if i eat something too chewy.

I think based on the length of my treatment, i would have rather had my jaw broken, however not personally experiencing the operation i will never know. Either way, i'm there now.

Good luck with your decision.
Reply 27
Original post by zara.visanji
Heya I have an over bite of around 1.2 cm and have been on braces for a year and few months. I'm having surgery next week (if they don't change the date again) and can let you know how it goes regards to recovery etc if anyone wishes? I'm 17 atm finished school now so hopefully will be recovered swelling wise by the time I start uni if I get in. Just let me know if anyone will be interested in knowih how it goes.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e

Hello :smile: I'm having my surgery on the 24th of July :P I would be interested to know how your surgery goes, as I will be a few days behind you! Mine is for an under bite though, are you having both jaws moved or just one? I had planned to go on holiday to Spain with my friends at the end of August but that doesn't seem likely after reading these recovery times! Are you waiting for AS level results? :biggrin:
Original post by Meg :)
Hello :smile: I'm having my surgery on the 24th of July :P I would be interested to know how your surgery goes, as I will be a few days behind you! Mine is for an under bite though, are you having both jaws moved or just one? I had planned to go on holiday to Spain with my friends at the end of August but that doesn't seem likely after reading these recovery times! Are you waiting for AS level results? :biggrin:

Heya mine is for an overbite as my top jaw is too far forward but that is mainly due to me sucking my thumb for a while as well :/ I am just having my lower jaw moved what about you? hmm yer I begged them to move mine early as my 18th is coming up and I wanted to be recovered etc. I will defo let you know how it goes etc :smile: ill post on here or private message you :smile: hope yours go well :smile: I hope the recovery time for swellin isn't as bad as some peoples though. No I'm waiting for A2 levels as in I just finished my final year at school what bout you?

You aren't allowed to fly for several months after having the surgery, so unless one of you can drive then Spain will be a no no.
Reply 30
Heya mine is for an overbite as my top jaw is too far forward but that is mainly due to me sucking my thumb for a while as well :/ I am just having my lower jaw moved what about you? hmm yer I begged them to move mine early as my 18th is coming up and I wanted to be recovered etc. I will defo let you know how it goes etc :smile: ill post on here or private message you :smile: hope yours go well :smile: I hope the recovery time for swellin isn't as bad as some peoples though. No I'm waiting for A2 levels as in I just finished my final year at school what bout you?

I have to have both moved :frown: the plan was just the bottom jaw, but after my braces straightened my teeth they realised the gap was too big to move just one without giving me a double chin! haha either posting on here or pm is good :smile: shame about your 18th! It just means you could stretch the birthday celebrations out for longer! I had my wisdom teeth out last summer and I got pretty swolen so I'm not holding out on that one! I'm waiting for AS levels, so not quite as scary as A2! It will be difficult to wait for results without distractions :redface: Do you have any university offers? Good luck for your op too!
Reply 31
Original post by jelly1000
You aren't allowed to fly for several months after having the surgery, so unless one of you can drive then Spain will be a no no.

Thank you for letting me know, it's sad that I can't go, but at least I'm prepared for disappointment now :frown: I guess it's better to be able to eat properly than to go on holiday for a week :biggrin: there is always next summer as well! haha
Reply 32
I know someone who had it done at university at 20. He only had problems eating things like apples - everything else was fine so it wasn't exactly severe. Did it in the long summer break, which is easy enough to organise.

The photos straight after the surgery are pretty grotesque, not going to lie, but once the swelling came down it was an excellent result for his biting function. A bit of numbness around the angle of the jaw, i think, but that was it.
I have to have both moved :frown: the plan was just the bottom jaw, but after my braces straightened my teeth they realised the gap was too big to move just one without giving me a double chin! haha either posting on here or pm is good :smile: shame about your 18th! It just means you could stretch the birthday celebrations out for longer! I had my wisdom teeth out last summer and I got pretty swolen so I'm not holding out on that one! I'm waiting for AS levels, so not quite as scary as A2! It will be difficult to wait for results without distractions :redface: Do you have any university offers? Good luck for your op too!

Oh no that's not good :/ I think your healing time will defo take longer that's such a shame bout ur holiday though :frown: what a levels do you do? Hopefully going to Birmingham to do geoglogy and geography :smile: that's if I get the results... I keep worrying about them though but what can you do no point worrying till the day :/ I think the whole not eating solids for a while is not gunna go wel :frown: love food lol

Reply 34
Oh no that's not good :/ I think your healing time will defo take longer that's such a shame bout ur holiday though :frown: what a levels do you do? Hopefully going to Birmingham to do geoglogy and geography :smile: that's if I get the results... I keep worrying about them though but what can you do no point worrying till the day :/ I think the whole not eating solids for a while is not gunna go wel :frown: love food lol

yeah soft food is awful. I love food too :tongue: I reckon I'll live on baby food or something! My worst nightmare is that they have to completely wire my jaw shut and I have to eat with a syringe! :s-smilie: I do maths, further maths, chemistry and biology :biggrin: that course sounds cool, and I have heard that Birmingham is a really good uni! what grades is your offer for? :smile: I'm also sad I can't go to the Olympics, because I got tickets and everything!
yeah soft food is awful. I love food too :tongue: I reckon I'll live on baby food or something! My worst nightmare is that they have to completely wire my jaw shut and I have to eat with a syringe! :s-smilie: I do maths, further maths, chemistry and biology :biggrin: that course sounds cool, and I have heard that Birmingham is a really good uni! what grades is your offer for? :smile: I'm also sad I can't go to the Olympics, because I got tickets and everything!

Oh wow clever much :tongue: ABB its the B in maths though :/ can get the grades in geog and bio but its stupid maths. Oh well least you will have amaze teeth. Hmm with both they tend to wore it or tight band it.. for the first few weeks it will be hard especially the first week you won't be able to open ur jaw much. 4 dayss left for me :/

Reply 36

I won't lie, eating is not a fun experience for a while afterwards. But you do get used to it! I could barely drink even a lot of soups at first, but after a couple of weeks I had progressed to eating blended chicken and broccoli and it was like one of the nicest things ever! In hindsight I suspect any food was lovely then. :biggrin:

But also, it sounds really silly but I had a baby beaker that I used to drink out of afterwards for tea etc, and it made it so much easier to drink from. Apart from that I just lived off build-up milkshakes and liquidised iron (worst thing I've ever had >.<) for the first few weeks!

It is worth it so much though, and the feeling when you get to eat your first proper meal again...awesome. :biggrin:
How long is the recovery time? As in how long does it take until all the swelling has gone down? I hoped to have it done this summer, but at this rate that seems unlikely. I've had the braces on for 18 months now... If the recovery time is a month or so it may be possible to get it done over the Christmas break, fingers crossed.
Reply 38
Original post by yabbayabba
How long is the recovery time? As in how long does it take until all the swelling has gone down? I hoped to have it done this summer, but at this rate that seems unlikely. I've had the braces on for 18 months now... If the recovery time is a month or so it may be possible to get it done over the Christmas break, fingers crossed.

I'm having it done this summer and my surgeon said two weeks for surgical swelling and six months for soft tissue swelling! So it's quite a long time :P I have had my braces for 3 years now :redface: The hospital told me that it is possible over the Christmas break but most people do it in the summer holidays (particularly the one between year 12 and 13) as it gives plenty of time to recover :smile: It may be too late to put you on this summer though as you need loads of measurements and extra bits added onto the braces, but you could always ask your orthodontist! :biggrin:
Reply 39
Oh wow clever much :tongue: ABB its the B in maths though :/ can get the grades in geog and bio but its stupid maths. Oh well least you will have amaze teeth. Hmm with both they tend to wore it or tight band it.. for the first few weeks it will be hard especially the first week you won't be able to open ur jaw much. 4 dayss left for me :/

Did your maths exams go badly then? I am so looking forward to straight teeth in the right place! They are also tilting my jaw as I'm 2mm off my chin being central or something?! I just hope my nerve recovers, it's not the end of the world if it doesn't though :tongue: ahh good luck! have you ever had a general anaesthetic before?

Latest